Psalms 109-8

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I just watched Sen. David Purdue...speaking at the Faith & Freedom Coalition Conference....suggest that we pray for America. Even the president. But we need to pray the right prayers, he said. He says we need to pray Psalms 109-8.

Here it is:

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labor.
Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

What do you think? Is this a nice thing to pray?

I just watched Sen. David Purdue...speaking at the Faith & Freedom Coalition Conference....suggest that we pray for America. Even the president. But we need to pray the right prayers, he said. He says we need to pray Psalms 109-8.

Here it is:

Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labor.
Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

Did he quote the entire Psalm?

or just the first line?

"Let his days be few; and let another take his office."

Here it is:

or just the first line?

He only used the first line. But....he did cite the name of the psalm.

Why? Does it matter?

Here it is:

or just the first line?

Why? Does it matter?

Considering he stopped at the first line, yes.

They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

Here it is:

or just the first line?

Why? Does it matter?

Considering he stopped at the first line, yes.

No it doesn't. The speaker and the audience know the entire thing. You fail.

They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

Say what? You have seen no dishonesty here.

You stated "here it is" and proceeded to post past Psalms 109: 8.
That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

What do you mean? Are you trying to tell me that the guy didn't intend to say what the psalm actually says? That's BS. Try harder.

You were dishonest. Admit it. And you have no idea whether he meant anything more or less. You are putting words into his mouth, hoping to raise a stink.

Do I think it was stupid of him to say what he did? Probably, but he was only voicing what many feel. They are ready for a change in leadership. Jan. 20th can't come soon enough.
That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

What do you mean? Are you trying to tell me that the guy didn't intend to say what the psalm actually says? That's BS. Try harder.

It's entirely appropriate. It's one of David's Psalms, against corrupt and evil judges, traitors, etc., and a hope for more just persons to succeed them in their posts. Obama, and Hillary for that matter, both would be fitting examples.

Commentaries from the Christian perspective:

Psalm 109:8 Commentaries: Let his days be few; Let another take his office.

Psalms 109 Commentary - James Burton Coffman Commentaries on the Bible

this latter provides a clearer context and history.

Pretty tame, considering he has greatly aided in arming the number 1 terrorist state on the planet with nuclear warheads and advanced missile systems to deliver them with.

Public service announcement for semi-literate tards:

The Old and New testaments are not just lists of isolated verses with no relation to context with verses before or after them; it's a sign of fatuous imbecility to run around citing them as such.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled inanities and sniveling gibberish.

Last edited:
That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

Here it is:

or just the first line?

He quoted the first line, and ONLY the first line.

To claim otherwise is dishonest

That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

or just the first line?

Yep. He did. I have already said that.

It is still a shitty thing to say for a sitting US Senator at a Christian gathering.

Isn't it?

You were dishonest. Admit it. And you have no idea whether he meant anything more or less. You are putting words into his mouth, hoping to raise a stin

OP may not have been entirely forthcoming. But not dishonest. The Psalm says what it says and the people listening knew what was being said.

That was not honest.
They can't be honest...

Yep. He did. I have already said that.

It is still a shitty thing to say for a sitting US Senator at a Christian gathering.

Isn't it?

th

You were dishonest. Admit it. And you have no idea whether he meant anything more or less. You are putting words into his mouth, hoping to raise a stin

OP may not have been entirely forthcoming. But not dishonest. The Psalm says what it says and the people listening knew what was being said.

I heard the guy say it and then looked it up. I posted what I found.

It seems that those opposing my POV in this thread all knew what the verse was. As did the giyvwho said it and his audience.

Psalm 109 is a tough read. Picaro offers some interesting links to give it come context. Meanwhile, OP wonders if it is "shitty" to pray such a psalm. This isn't complicated, LoneLaugher. If you think it's shitty, don't join in the prayer.

Forum List

Back