PRUF LED Moving Manufacturing from China to Texas

Interesting item. I suspect it has a lot to do with rising wages in China, which makes operating there less attractive given the extra costs of shipping goods to market here, dealing with a foreign government and workers who don't speak English (or even a related language such as Spanish), poorer infrastructure, etc. As Chinese wages continue to rise we may see more of this.

Interesting item. I suspect it has a lot to do with rising wages in China, which makes operating there less attractive given the extra costs of shipping goods to market here, dealing with a foreign government and workers who don't speak English (or even a related language such as Spanish), poorer infrastructure, etc. As Chinese wages continue to rise we may see more of this.
Imagine that...the market actually working.

The problem being the suffering it causes on the way.

Lag times are reality in processes.

It's life.

It's life.

Well, I lack the econo-religious motivations some seem to have to make me say that government should take no action to ameliorate that suffering. In the instant case, the government could have avoided encouraging manufacturers to move to China in the first place through free trade agreements and tax incentives. The fact that the laws of market economics haven't been repealed, and that eventually it was inevitable that high labor demand and emerging Chinese unions would drive wages up there, doesn't invalidate that criticism.

I expect they've made some strides in automation, if they're moving manufacturing to the US.

It's life.

Well, I lack the econo-religious motivations some seem to have to make me say that government should take no action to ameliorate that suffering. In the instant case, the government could have avoided encouraging manufacturers to move to China in the first place through free trade agreements and tax incentives. The fact that the laws of market economics haven't been repealed, and that eventually it was inevitable that high labor demand and emerging Chinese unions would drive wages up there, doesn't invalidate that criticism.

In the first quarter of 2003 and the last quarter of 2006, employment was at it's highest level in history, at 48.8% and 48.7%. 48.8% seems to be every able bodied person of working age employeed. That is full labor utilization. Without some explaination as to how more manufacturing could have possibley been done with no one to do it, it is hard to see how any "free trade agreements and tax incentives" could have changed anything.

I expect they've made some strides in automation, if they're moving manufacturing to the US.
Good point. By necessity, integrated circuit manufacturing is about as highly automated of a manufacturing process as there is.

It must be the requirement for an educated workforce that was the attraction.:doubt:

In the first quarter of 2003 and the last quarter of 2006, employment was at it's highest level in history, at 48.8% and 48.7%. 48.8% seems to be every able bodied person of working age employeed. That is full labor utilization. Without some explaination as to how more manufacturing could have possibley been done with no one to do it, it is hard to see how any "free trade agreements and tax incentives" could have changed anything.

There would have been people to do it, because they would have been doing that instead of the lower-paying service jobs they were doing.

In the first quarter of 2003 and the last quarter of 2006, employment was at it's highest level in history, at 48.8% and 48.7%. 48.8% seems to be every able bodied person of working age employed. That is full labor utilization. Without some explanation as to how more manufacturing could have possibly been done with no one to do it, it is hard to see how any "free trade agreements and tax incentives" could have changed anything.

There would have been people to do it, because they would have been doing that instead of the lower-paying service jobs they were doing.

So, instead of doing a low paying service job, they would be doing a low paying manufacturing job? And that helps how?

Last edited:
:clap2: And for heaven's sake, don't punish their success!

From the article:

Though LED lights tend to cost more, they last far longer and consume roughly 50 percent less electricity than do incandescent lights, according to PRUF LED. According to Earthtech Products, which sells LED lights for the home, an LED bulb costs about $20 to $30, but would last 10 years and cost just two dollars a year to operate, as opposed to $20 a year for an incandescent bulb.

Remember, it's the Republicans who are screaming about how awful LED bulbs are. ON THIS VERY SITE! Hilarious!

I have to wonder if they got a military contract?

Medical equipment manufacturing also must be done in the US for sale in the US. I cannot say if it is just on the finished product assembly or not.

Texas has a high level of immigration from south of the border, legal or otherwise, and both one of the lowest cost of living and wages.

That is an interesting affect, as the cost of living goes down, from state to state, the income level also decreases, but not proportionally by as much. The net result is that purchasing power is higher. And as the cost of living increases, to a maximum in the SF Bay Area and NY, wages do not increase proportionally so the purchasing power in those areas becomes less.

At leas, that seems to be the way it was last I looked.

It's life.

Which is why we have a cerebral cortex, to predict, prioritize, plan, prepare and save.

Otherwise, we'de be waiting for the "lag time" every time our car ran out of gas in the middle of the freeway.
:lmao:

^^^^ Someone doesn't comprehend process theory and control.

Quite the contrary. I am well aware of the design and implementation of a PID controler.

And in all control system, the lag time is based upon the system functioning only on the current level, rate of change, accumulated position, and loop delay. With that, it makes some prediction of the future, ramping the control signatl. But a PID controller is not a human being or society. A human being has a much more complex feedback control system and is able to predict that the car will run out of gas, long before getting on the freeway. In fact, human beings will get gas, whether they need it or not. And in doing so, a person gets gas, rather then accept the delay time of waiting to run out of gas or finding the tank low when they have more important things to be concerned about. In the same fashion, predicting and managing the economy is one of examining history and preparing for the future.

I suggest that, while you may think you understand a control system, you fail in actually understanding how the feedback and control of an economy functions. And it would be foolish to rely entirely on it as a dumb PID controller.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back