Prostate cancer strategy

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by statusquobuster, Oct 7, 2009.

1. statusquobuster

statusquobuster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The old joke that most men will die with prostate cancer rather than from it turns out to be pretty correct. Though we often hear about men undergoing surgery or some other conventional treatment for prostate cancer, such as radiation, we hear much less about the alternative medicine strategy. An exception is the recent statement by radio celebrity Don Imus that he is using a diet and exercise approach to address his prostate cancer. Imus says he eats mainly uncooked, organic foods such as raw sauerkraut, flaxseed and very hot peppers and, after several months on this diet, that this approach has stopped his cancer from spreading.

Please read the rest of my article at:

Prostate cancer strategy

2. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    There is absolutely no evidenced based medicine that supports the use of diet and exercise as a means to control cancer. I personally don't have a problem with alternative treatment modalities. I do have a problem with the adherents of alternative medicine refusing to conform to the scientific method to support their claims. IMO they over promise and under deliver.

That's not necessarily detrimental until it borders into areas where medical intervention with treatments that have have been to demonstrated to work (albeit not without side effects) are demonified in favor of treatment modalities that have been demonstrated not to work. One of the most disturbing/sad things I have seen as a medical student was a young woman who had ductal cell carcinoma in her mouth (it was the primary lesion, one of those weird things) who bypassed chemo and rads in favor of a "naturopathic approach" to curing the cancer by having it injected with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). By the time she represented back to the hospital a year later, her tumor almost occluded her entire pharynx. Her prognosis was dismal.

You are correct about prostate cancer, though. The belief now is that eventually every man that lives long enough is going to at least have BPH if not cancer and considering the survival rates:

The belief now is to simply not treat it considering the side effects of surgery, etc. That convention was come to by oncologists without the input of alternative medicine.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I reckon anyone can try and quack treatment they like just as long as they don't reject the conventional (and scientifically proven) ones.

Blokes, get an annual examination as well as the PSA analysis. Yes it's uncomfortable but it only takes a few minutes. So, get your fingers out* and get your doc's fingers in there instead!

*That exhortation may not travel well - it means to stop slacking off.

4. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    The problem with herbal and alternative medicine here in the United States is that as long as they include these magic words:

"This statement has not be evaluated by the FDA. Not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease"

They can basically make all sorts of fantastic claims.

None of which are supported by evidence based medicine.

Don't get me wrong, traditional medicine has it's pitfalls away from EBM as well. Off the top of my head, I think it was once considered en vogue to treat septic shock with corticosteroids. The logic was to suppress the immune system and prevent the body from going haywire from the sepsis. It seemed logical, but when you looked at the numbers, it was absolute bunk and may have contributed to poorer outcomes.

Traditional medicine is rife with examples like that. The difference is that there are a ton of people conducting studies to evaluate these statement s and publish their results. When something significant is found, it is adapted and the practice changes.

We are biological creatures. Biology is science. You simply can't divorce the scientific method from healthcare.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Side effects of of prostate cancer could be worse than the disease...
    :confused:
    Study sees prostate cancer treatment side effects
    Jan 30,`13 - A new study shows how important it is for men to carefully consider treatments for early-stage prostate cancer. Fifteen years after surgery or radiation treatment, nearly all of the older men in the study had some problems having sex.

6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Nasal Spray Cancer Vaccine Shrinks Melanoma, Prostate Cancer Tumors...
    :clap2:
    Nasal Spray Cancer Vaccine Shrinks Head and Neck Tumors
    February 14, 2013 : A promising new vaccine - administered as a nasal spray - is being developed to treat head and neck cancers. It is one of a growing number of vaccines developed in the last few years to fight cancer.

7. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Should it be treated immediately or monitored?...
    :eusa_eh:
    Gene test may help guide prostate cancer treatment
    8 May`13 - A new genetic test to gauge the aggressiveness of prostate cancer may help tens of thousands of men each year decide whether they need to treat their cancer right away or can safely monitor it.

8. tyroneweaver

tyroneweaver Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,871
    Im sixty four and have a high psa. I'm on fenesteride and it cuts it in half. I've had two biopsies and both of have been a disaster.
    ended up in the hospitol over night with reactions
    I was adopted and have no way of knowing my history.
    Is the gene therapy readily available by most urologist

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Best protection against prostate cancer?

Choose better parents.

LIFE is carcinogenic, folks.

10. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    But seriously, folks - the best protection against prostate cancer is an annual PSA, starting at age 40. The PSA test is a blood test - they just throw in an additional analysis of the blood along with all of the other analyses they always make anyway.