Prohibiting hair styles is now racist in New York. Fine up to 250K

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
Under new guidelines to be released this week by the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle, at work, school or in public spaces, will now be considered racial discrimination.

The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their “natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state.”

In practice, the guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. The city commission can levy penalties up to $250,000 on defendants that are found in violation of the guidelines and there is no cap on damages. The commission can also force internal policy changes and rehirings at offending institutions.

The move was prompted in part by investigations after complaints from workers at two Bronx businesses — a medical facility in Morris Park and a nonprofit in Morrisania — as well as workers at an Upper East Side hair salon and a restaurant in the Howard Beach section of Queens. (The new guidelines do not interfere with health and safety reasons for wearing hair up or in a net, as long as the rules apply to everyone.)

New York City to Ban Discrimination Based on Hair

As a white lad in the 70's, I wore my hair longer. However it did present problems when being interviewed for a job. I was told straight out at some places of employment that if hired, I had to cut my hair. In private Catholic school, if your hair touched the top of your ears, you were sent home with a note to your parents you were suspended until you got your hair cut.

Whether for safety (working with machinery) health or simply appearance, employers and schools had the right to have standards on acceptable hair styles. I was alway told with jobs working with the public, the employee customers see represents the entire company.

So now in NY, that's entirely out the window, especially for minorities. If you don't want your cable television salesperson looking like a Jamaican refugee when he goes door to door, you can be fined 250K for not hiring that person. If you are hiring a receptionist for your corporation, you must hire the girl with half her purple hair down her back and the other half shaved like a marine.

Okay, so it's New York, it's their problem? Is it? This is what all of America can look like if we don't keep people like this from running our entire country.

I don't care too much about hairstyles, so long as not completely bizarre or silly. I'd probably have dreads myself if my hair grew that way.

But if you show up for an interview in anything less than a sharp business suit, with a tie knotted tight as a walnut, I shall cast you out the first minute.

As a man in his 60's who currently has a pony tail almost to my ass, I kind of like the freedoms guaranteed to me by The Constitution being enforced by somebody.

Kudos! :thup:

I don't care too much about hairstyles, so long as not completely bizarre or silly. I'd probably have dreads myself if my hair grew that way.

But if you show up for an interview in anything less than a sharp business suit, with a tie knotted tight as a walnut, I shall cast you out the first minute.

I think that's the problem with this law. What is acceptable is subjective.

Under new guidelines to be released this week by the New York City Commission on Human Rights, the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle, at work, school or in public spaces, will now be considered racial discrimination.

The change in law applies to anyone in New York City but is aimed at remedying the disparate treatment of black people; the guidelines specifically mention the right of New Yorkers to maintain their “natural hair, treated or untreated hairstyles such as locs, cornrows, twists, braids, Bantu knots, fades, Afros, and/or the right to keep hair in an uncut or untrimmed state.”

In practice, the guidelines give legal recourse to individuals who have been harassed, threatened, punished, demoted or fired because of the texture or style of their hair. The city commission can levy penalties up to $250,000 on defendants that are found in violation of the guidelines and there is no cap on damages. The commission can also force internal policy changes and rehirings at offending institutions.

The move was prompted in part by investigations after complaints from workers at two Bronx businesses — a medical facility in Morris Park and a nonprofit in Morrisania — as well as workers at an Upper East Side hair salon and a restaurant in the Howard Beach section of Queens. (The new guidelines do not interfere with health and safety reasons for wearing hair up or in a net, as long as the rules apply to everyone.)

As a white lad in the 70's, I wore my hair longer. However it did present problems when being interviewed for a job. I was told straight out at some places of employment that if hired, I had to cut my hair. In private Catholic school, if your hair touched the top of your ears, you were sent home with a note to your parents you were suspended until you got your hair cut.

Whether for safety (working with machinery) health or simply appearance, employers and schools had the right to have standards on acceptable hair styles. I was alway told with jobs working with the public, the employee customers see represents the entire company.

So now in NY, that's entirely out the window, especially for minorities. If you don't want your cable television salesperson looking like a Jamaican refugee when he goes door to door, you can be fined 250K for not hiring that person. If you are hiring a receptionist for your corporation, you must hire the girl with half her purple hair down her back and the other half shaved like a marine.

Okay, so it's New York, it's their problem? Is it? This is what all of America can look like if we don't keep people like this from running our entire country.
Did you mean "running" or RUINING ?

And what's going to happen when the kid with the humungous afro sits in front of your kid in school, and you kid can't even see anything in front of him, other than that massive afro ?

th
upload_2019-2-20_22-27-56.jpeg

Sounds like lice will be their new bedfellows in NYC. :iyfyus.jpg:

Does this mean skinheads get a free pass?

And what's going to happen when the kid with the humungous afro sits in front of your kid in school, and you kid can't even see anything in front of him, other than that massive afro ?

th
View attachment 246929
Wear environmental friendly lice spray. It will deal with the dicey lice, but it may not repel a hair hog.: <giggle>

th

th
View attachment 246929

I would guess the same thing when they sit in front of you at the movie theater. If you want to avoid that, HBO.

What I find ironic about all this is blacks have spent decades fighting for employment equality. Of course that equality has been around for many years. Now they are giving employers a new reason to discriminate; not based on color, but appearance. So now we must put a racial value towards this kind of discrimination.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

I guess we can now scrap that piece of crap according to the liberals of NY.

So, now New York will have the government telling businesses they can't tell their receptionist that a 15-inch pink mohawk is unacceptable?

Glorious.

Good. Really good news. More good reasons why business should leave. New York city is making itself a business desert. The office buildings and vacant high rises can be homeless shelters.

Amazon just gave thanks that they missed this little bullet.

As a man in his 60's who currently has a pony tail almost to my ass, I kind of like the freedoms guaranteed to me by The Constitution being enforced by somebody.

Kudos! :thup:

Don't get in a bar fight....I never understood why guys would grow a handle on their head for somebody to grab ahold of...a good yank and you're at their mercy....I've seen it happen more than once.

Forum List

Back