Privatizing the VA?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I've been reading snippets of this idea and I find myself wondering about it. Would it be better to have private docs care for vets? More important, would it make the multitude of bureaucrats more answerable for the deeds? Or misdeeds? Would breaking the grip of Civil Service Rules and Regulations improve the care we provide for our vets?

What are your thoughts?

Read the story, How VA Privatization Can Improve Veteran's Health Care @ http://taskandpurpose.com/how-va-privatization-could-improve-veterans-health-care/

I've been reading snippets of this idea and I find myself wondering about it. Would it be better to have private docs care for vets? More important, would it make the multitude of bureaucrats more answerable for the deeds? Or misdeeds? Would breaking the grip of Civil Service Rules and Regulations improve the care we provide for our vets?

What are your thoughts?

Read the story, How VA Privatization Can Improve Veteran's Health Care @ http://taskandpurpose.com/how-va-privatization-could-improve-veterans-health-care/

Certainly it would be better for the veterans. I've only gone to a veteran's hospital a couple of times and was never impressed. Many of them are simply too far away to be of any use to a number of veterans. Local medical facilities are usually more up to date and have quality medical staff. If it's good enough for the elderly and everyone else, I'm certain the majority of veterans would welcome it.

Who pays for the increased costs that for profit brings? The VA negotiates it's costs with providers which are less than the private sector.
So who pays for the profit after the increase in operating costs?

Most everything is negotiated. Medicare has limits on what it pays and any medical provider who agrees to accept Medicare agrees to accept Medicare's limits on services. BCBS does the same thing.

The VA role is too big . It should only be for those injured from their service .

What are your thoughts?

========

Republicans always cut funding for government agencies ( VA included ) and then complain when the agency doesn't do a good job and advocate to < privatize > the agency.

Why?

Because then PROFITS go to some REPUBLICAN.

There are few profits to be made from the VA as a government agency.

But as a privatized quasi-government operation they will be perfectly willing to raise taxes and pay 3 times as much to get veterans care from the privatized operation because some REPUBLICAN 1%'ER will wind up with most of the money.

They wanted to privatize the prisons and they have done so in many states and now we are finding it costs MUCH more with much poorer services and security than when prisons were state run.

On top of that, almost every one of them has a contract where the state agrees to pay for each and every used bed and so they are arresting pot smokers and giving them long long sentences in order to keep the beds filled.

And the private prison, being an American corporation, cares about nothing but PROFIT and they keep cutting staff in order to increase profits. There have been far more escapes and riots since they privatized the prisons than when the state ran them.

Who pays for the increased costs that for profit brings? The VA negotiates it's costs with providers which are less than the private sector.
So who pays for the profit after the increase in operating costs?
========
Privatized government operations ALWAYS cost more and DELIVER LESS.

ALWAYS

We learned that from the privatized prisons. Now they cost much more and have more escapes and riots due to staffing cuts in order to increase profits.

Not everything should be run to make profit.

Gov employees are far more accountae then in private .

All you have to do is whine to your local paper or rep and it becomes a big deal .

You think a private hospital cares about an unhappy patient ?

All you have to do is whine to your local paper or rep and it becomes a big deal .

And yet the VA has been treating our vets horribly for many years.

And yet the VA has been treating our vets horribly for many years.

Don't most vets give the va high marks?

I think they are over broad at the VA .

And you imply private hospitals would be better . Like they don't have issues wh treatment .

What are your thoughts?

I see no reason you have to go to a seperate VA clinic for routine, nonservice related treatment

Why not issue the vet an Insurance card and we, the taxpayers, will pay for his treatment

One thought that comes to mind.

Private medical facilities and providers are bogged done by the administrative costs of government programs. Ask any of them how much of their staff is dedicated to making out reports and filing documents for government agencies.

One thought that comes to mind.

Private medical facilities and providers are bogged done by the administrative costs of government programs. Ask any of them how much of their staff is dedicated to making out reports and filing documents for government agencies.

How much staff time is dedicated to filling out insurance forms?

Forum List

Back