Private Sector Workers Need To Sacrifice

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
The private sector workers need to take a 20% cut in pay and benefits to help corporations to stimulate the economy and be able to hire more workers to boost the GDP, and lower unemployment costs and associated taxes. It is no secret we are falling behind, and everybody ought to be able to give a little to help America. The only other way to do this is raise taxes and give corporations subsidies to hire workers, which will cost more to manage through the government.

A recent study by the Economic Policy Institute (pdf) concluded that private workers are making more than public workers. According to the executive summary of the study, "Comparisons controlling for education, experience, organizational size, gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship, and disability reveal that public employees of state and local governments earn less than comparable private sector employees. On an annual basis, full-time state and local employee government employees in Michigan are undercompensated by approximately 5.3% compared with similar private sector workers."

Meanwhile, the group Citizens for Accountability in Reform notes on its site that the study is the fourth in the last three years to challenge the perception that public workers are somehow over-compensated.

http://accountabilityinreform.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/epicompstudyfinal.pdf

• Thanks
Reactions: V4V
This is a good scenerio, but it would be helpful if these workers actually made something tangible that is ultimately sold to someone else. I mean, if we have more workers whose sole function is to sell a service, or a product that is imported- how does it actually add to the GDP?

The private sector workers need to take a 20% cut in pay and benefits to help corporations to stimulate the economy and be able to hire more workers to boost the GDP, and lower unemployment costs and associated taxes. It is no secret we are falling behind, and everybody ought to be able to give a little to help America. The only other way to do this is raise taxes and give corporations subsidies to hire workers, which will cost more to manage through the government.

A recent study by the Economic Policy Institute (pdf) concluded that private workers are making more than public workers. According to the executive summary of the study, "Comparisons controlling for education, experience, organizational size, gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship, and disability reveal that public employees of state and local governments earn less than comparable private sector employees. On an annual basis, full-time state and local employee government employees in Michigan are undercompensated by approximately 5.3% compared with similar private sector workers."

Meanwhile, the group Citizens for Accountability in Reform notes on its site that the study is the fourth in the last three years to challenge the perception that public workers are somehow over-compensated.

union public sector workers pay nothing toward pensions and little if any towards health care. when they retire they will receive full benefits until they die and no longer leach off the non union tax payer. I am self employed and pay full whack for my health care. the kids are on the wife's insurance and she pays $700 a month towards that as well as taxes so the pensions of folks who provide an inferior product or service can ride the gravy train with biscuit wheels. So they have sacrificed what now ?

This is a good scenerio, but it would be helpful if these workers actually made something tangible that is ultimately sold to someone else. I mean, if we have more workers whose sole function is to sell a service, or a product that is imported- how does it actually add to the GDP?

We actually make a lot of products here in America that are not imported, and sold locally. Check out the state almanacs, or watch HSN.

Here is website of American made products. http://www.madeinusa.org/

Last edited:

union public sector workers pay nothing toward pensions and little if any towards health care. when they retire they will receive full benefits until they die and no longer leach off the non union tax payer. I am self employed and pay full whack for my health care. the kids are on the wife's insurance and she pays $700 a month towards that as well as taxes so the pensions of folks who provide an inferior product or service can ride the gravy train with biscuit wheels. So they have sacrificed what now ?

They are taking cuts in pay & benefits. I call that a sacrifice. And the public sector needs to do the same. Everybody doesn't share your whine that you chose to drink. The average family health care cost is $527. a month, and the teachers educate your children I pay taxes for as well. An average CEO or laborer can afford to take a 20% cut to help stimulate the economy. Some will suffer more than others, but it is for the benefit of the country you chose to live in and use. Without the sacrifice, the country will fall by the wayside, and that will be the end of your business. I also feel the cuts should reach down to lower income people as well, everyone will need to tighten their belts.

They are taking cuts in pay & benefits. I call that a sacrifice. And the public sector needs to do the same. Everybody doesn't share your whine that you chose to drink. The average family health care cost is $527. a month, and the teachers educate your children I pay taxes for as well. An average CEO or laborer can afford to take a 20% cut to help stimulate the economy. Some will suffer more than others, but it is for the benefit of the country you chose to live in and use. Without the sacrifice, the country will fall by the wayside, and that will be the end of your business. I also feel the cuts should reach down to lower income people as well, everyone will need to tighten their belts.

My kids go to private school, but I would take a non-union teacher in my School district to any union teacher in any other district. The quality of education is superior, and even when it sucks the kids can at least read when they drop out of school. as for tightening the belts, the private sector has been doing it for about five years now. It's the freeloaders turn now. And we are an average family and the wife pays $700.00 a month for health care. union members pay zero. They will collect full pay when they retire and until they die and pay nothing into there pensions. Normal folks get 401-K and have to pay into that. The private sector got hurt by the recession more then the union leaches so the unions can go first. By the way, which union do you belong to ?

My kids go to private school, but I would take a non-union teacher in my School district to any union teacher in any other district. The quality of education is superior, and even when it sucks the kids can at least read when they drop out of school. as for tightening the belts, the private sector has been doing it for about five years now. It's the freeloaders turn now. And we are an average family and the wife pays $700.00 a month for health care. union members pay zero. They will collect full pay when they retire and until they die and pay nothing into there pensions. Normal folks get 401-K and have to pay into that. The private sector got hurt by the recession more then the union leaches so the unions can go first. By the way, which union do you belong to ?

I don't think the scabs have made any concessions like the Union has. I am no longer a proud Union member. I retired in 1990. The Unions are taking pay cuts and making concessions as well.

"In a 2010 survey by the National League of Cities, 51 percent of the cities that responded said they had either cut or frozen salaries of city employees, 22 percent said they had revised union contracts to reduce some pay and benefits, and 19 percent said they had instituted furloughs."

So now it is the private sectors turn. A union members pension, like medical is part of his overall package, like a CEO, etc., from negotiations of employment. Private people don't negotiate, so many receive no benefits. Unions are strong, individuals are weak and have no bargaining rights unless they hire themselves a lawyer or employment negotiator. The free loaders at the top and the bottom will make the 20% cut as well. Everybody should help to make this work.

many people left with jobs in the workforce, are doing double duty as a minimum already...they are doing the jobs they used to do, plus they are picking up the slack and are doing the jobs of those who got laid off....a pay cut in addition to this, may not be reasonable.

many people left with jobs in the workforce, are doing double duty as a minimum already...they are doing the jobs they used to do, plus they are picking up the slack and are doing the jobs of those who got laid off....a pay cut in addition to this, may not be reasonable.

Considering the the cut will go to stimulate the economy and give Corporations incentives to hire more workers, this will lower the burden on those working now. You would be surprised how one person can lessen the burden on ten, but also add to production, and lower your taxes headed towards unemployment nonproductive people. And the pay cut wouldn't have to be permanent. Once work starts picking up again, corporations can afford to be more generous.

The alternative seems to be taking the nation down and everybody losing their jobs and homes.

The Unionized Government Employees are the Rich. The 2005 economic survey revealed the income distribution for individuals whereby the top 5% of individuals had gross income & benefits (exceeding $100,000) and the top 10% of individuals had incomes exceeding $75,000. They are draining our country dry. They contribute to the campaigns of politicians who give them more money & benefits that they take from the private citizens. Public employees jack up salaries in the last few years to raise their retirement & pension creating a golden parachute that we have to pay for the rest of their life. This cause a major underfunding because contributions were being made based on their lower salary that suddenly spiked. If the public employees had to contribute their own money into the fund then they would not allow the near retirement people to screw them with by creating a sudden golden parachute.

The tax payer should not have to guarantee the bad investments of their pension funds. We are not afforded any guarantees of our retirement. When you add up all the public employee benefits, they are the top 10% rich in the USA. They get twice the total compensation of the private sector workers that are taxed to pay their compensations. We should not be paying the retired public employees 3 times what they made when they were working. The working man should not be making 1/3rd of what the retired public employee is getting paid from the tax payer. The rich ass government sponges earn like masters & treat us like slaves.

Police Chief made $813,000 on retirement year.
- Richard Miranda. The ex-Tucson police chief is now the city's deputy city manager, whose responsibilities include overseeing the police department. He got $511,570 from DROP in June 2008. Salary: $166,941. Pension: $134,054.

- Jesse Locksa. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a dispatch commander. He received $576,463 from DROP in January 2007. Salary: $70,969. Pension: $97,890.

- Timothy Overton. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a forensics commander. He got $445,518 from DROP in August 2007. Salary: $70,969. Pension: $75,186.

- Gerard Sheridan. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office executive chief is now acting chief deputy. He got $440,441 from DROP in November 2008. Salary: $143,000. Pension: $77,239.

- Lawrence Black. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now an administrator on paid leave amid an internal investigation. He received $386,955 from DROP in July 2007. Salary: $79,996. Pension: $64,089.

- Steven Werner. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now an intelligence analyst. He received $365,272 from DROP in January 2008. Salary: $62,940. Pension: $62,261.

- Rollie Seebert. The ex-Maricopa County Sheriff's Office deputy chief is now a detention academy commander. He received $270,405 from DROP in November 2006. Salary: $82,894. Pension: $61,983.

Last edited:

I don't think the scabs have made any concessions like the Union has. I am no longer a proud Union member. I retired in 1990. The Unions are taking pay cuts and making concessions as well.

"In a 2010 survey by the National League of Cities, 51 percent of the cities that responded said they had either cut or frozen salaries of city employees, 22 percent said they had revised union contracts to reduce some pay and benefits, and 19 percent said they had instituted furloughs."

So now it is the private sectors turn. A union members pension, like medical is part of his overall package, like a CEO, etc., from negotiations of employment. Private people don't negotiate, so many receive no benefits. Unions are strong, individuals are weak and have no bargaining rights unless they hire themselves a lawyer or employment negotiator. The free loaders at the top and the bottom will make the 20% cut as well. Everybody should help to make this work.

Scabs ? No one said anything about the workers who cross a picket line to do the work a striking cry babe union free loader wont do unless they get a soft serve ice cream maker in there teachers lounge. And most city workers don't do much but lean on a shovel or sit at a desk and collect a pay check any way. People in the private sector have the balls, brains and drive to go out and make a living. They don't have to leech off the tax payer. Sit the union freeloaders down and shut them up and the private sector will fix what the union destroyed. Enjoy being retired. I'm sure its nice to gain from anothers work. You got yours, and since you no longer contribute or have any skin in the game don't have anything to worrie about. So sit back and watch the unions go down and reap the benefits of the private sectors success like any good union freeloader thug.

Last edited:
One thing you forgot to take into account is that private sector workers don't cost us money. It's the public sector slugs that are paid with our money.

One thing you forgot to take into account is that private sector workers don't cost us money. It's the public sector slugs that are paid with our money.

And they want more. I am glad I pay my self so I will never have to try and take it from some one else who busted there ass for what they have.

Last edited:

Considering the the cut will go to stimulate the economy and give Corporations incentives to hire more workers, this will lower the burden on those working now. You would be surprised how one person can lessen the burden on ten, but also add to production, and lower your taxes headed towards unemployment nonproductive people. And the pay cut wouldn't have to be permanent. Once work starts picking up again, corporations can afford to be more generous.

The alternative seems to be taking the nation down and everybody losing their jobs and homes.

Corporations aren't in business to create jobs.

The private sector adds to the GDP.

The private sector drains the nation's resources.

Therefore, the public sector needs to man up and accept cuts. The private sector has already done so.

I guess you'd have to (actually) know one o' those folks who "ride the gravy train with biscuit wheels" to get your question answered. Whatta concept, huh??

:rolleyes:

Additionally....I'm assuming (much like your assumptions about those "gravy train" riders)....no one twisted your arm to be self-employed. That was your choice. You chose the option o' having the freedom (involved) with being self-employed, over working for someone-else. I guess you'll have to pony-up some lobbyist-bucks, to improve your situation. Those others (you criticize) decided to collectively-bargain, instead.

Now that you've identified those people who've made your life more-difficult (ignoring the fact you chose your present-situation)....you feel any better????

:eusa_eh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sacrifice isn't what needed.

Economic justice is what's needed.

No working stiff is responsible for this mess, the MASTERs are.

I don't see them sacrificing a damned thing.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but 2007 was the last year of the "good times". Since that point, literally millions of Private sector folks have lost their jobs completely. Literally millions of Private sector folks have found work at vastly reduced levels of pay and literally millions of Private sector folks have not gotten a pay raise if they were lucky enough to not lose their job or have to take a reduced pay rate job.

In the mean time, the Domocrat Congress passed the Failed Stimulus which only served to keep Public Sector workers working at the annually increased wages that they have enjoyed while EVERYONE ELSE in the economy was downsized, out sourced or cut back.

The EVERYONE ELSE in this little story, as an aside, are going to have to foot the bill for the extra Federal Workers hired (200,000) and the Puublic sector increased wages and the benefits that have not been examined until this year.

The Private Sector has and will be belt tightening and that is nothing new. It's been going on since shortly before the Democrat thieves stole our cash swindling with the Failed Stimulus. It will go on longer because of that theft.

The Public Sector diconnected sloths are just now, three years later, starting to feel the pinch and the tears are flooding the State Capitals.

I feel compassion for them as I do for the rest of us. However, to say that this is the starting point and now we all must cut back from here ignors the FACT that the rest of us have already felt the pain and the Public Sector is about three years behind the rest of us.

Foir the public Sector employees to say that the rest of the population needs to cut back more so the Public Sector can continue to earn twice the wage and twice the benefits is just nonsensical.

Last edited:
Sacrifice isn't what needed.

Economic justice is what's needed.

No working stiff is responsible for this mess, the MASTERs are.

I don't see them sacrificing a damned thing.
Bingo!!!!

(....And, they're laughing-themselves-sick....as usual....over the battle-between-workers.)

Forum List

Back