Presidents speak on a free press

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS

For those of you who badmouth everything that's not FOX and Breitbart, I'd really like to know why you so easily bought into the rhetoric. We need a free press. We are guaranteed a free press. So why do you believe that anybody who doesn't lockstep with your perceptions should be silenced?

I was hearing "MSM" years before Trump, so I know the willful ignorance was already in place. When did it start? Do you think? Do you investigate, or just react.

I realize most people are going to hit the "funny" button (thank you, I think it's good for my numbers) and state that I'm projecting.

I'll ignore those posts. If anybody wants to be honest about their 1A perceptions, I'd be happy to discuss further.

For those of you who badmouth everything that's not FOX and Breitbart, I'd really like to know why you so easily bought into the rhetoric. We need a free press. We are guaranteed a free press.

Yes we do. It is too bad we dont have one.

For those of you who badmouth everything that's not FOX and Breitbart, I'd really like to know why you so easily bought into the rhetoric. We need a free press. We are guaranteed a free press. So why do you believe that anybody who doesn't lockstep with your perceptions should be silenced?

I was hearing "MSM" years before Trump, so I know the willful ignorance was already in place. When did it start? Do you think? Do you investigate, or just react.

I realize most people are going to hit the "funny" button (thank you, I think it's good for my numbers) and state that I'm projecting.

I'll ignore those posts. If anybody wants to be honest about their 1A perceptions, I'd be happy to discuss further.

It started in earnest during Vietnam/Pentagon Papers/Watergate when conservatives incorrectly perceived ‘the media’ to be ‘biased to the left’ – which is of course a ridiculous lie.

That ‘the media’ report facts and truthful information which demonstrates conservative dogma to be wrong doesn’t make the media ‘liberal.’

And during the last 50 years conservatives have promoted the ridiculous lie that ‘the media’ are engaged in some sort of anti-conservative conspiracy in an effort to advance the ‘liberal agenda.’

Hence the rise of Fox, Breitbart, and the rightist blogosphere to propagate conservative misinformation, fake news, and lies.

Something interesting to consider regarding rightwing media:

“Monday's disclosure [of the Cohen-Hannity relationship] demonstrates just how tight-knit the pro-Trump media world is. Not only does Hannity advise Trump, not only does Trump promote Hannity's show, not only does Hannity attack Trump's critics -- Hannity and Trump even share the same lawyer.

Cohen is one kind of Trump protector, Hannity is another kind.”

Stelter: Sean Hannity has few rules, and now Fox News has a problem

“Monday's disclosure [of the Cohen-Hannity relationship] demonstrates just how tight-knit the pro-Trump media world is. Not only does Hannity advise Trump, not only does Trump promote Hannity's show, not only does Hannity attack Trump's critics -- Hannity and Trump even share the same lawyer.

From your link;

Simon Maloy of the anti-Fox group Media Matters tweeted: "Pause for a moment to reflect upon what one Sean Hannity might do with news that an MSNBC personality had hidden a relationship with a Clinton attorney under criminal investigation."

Even a fellow Fox host, Juan Williams, raised this issue on the network's 5 p.m. talk show "The Five" Monday evening.

"The question for me is why Sean didn't disclose this earlier," Williams said.

But Fox sometimes asserts that Hannity plays by different rules. While "News" is in the Fox name, Hannity proudly says he's not a journalist. In fact, he likes to say journalism is "dead."

No, Sean; journalism is not dead. It's only dead at FOX.

Him saying that should be a wake-up call for every FOX viewer, but I have no doubt it won't be. Proof has been supplied over and over again that FOX is an entertainment network, and people such as Chris Wallace and Shep Smith are the exceptions, not the norm.

Speaking of journalism being dead - is this where America is headed? No truth, just the GOP propaganda network, everything else is derided and denigrated. And if people continue to speak up/out, ah. Well. They wind up dead.

Russian reporter dies after mystery fall

Vyacheslav Bashkov described Borodin as a "principled, honest journalist" and said Borodin had contacted him at five o'clock in the morning on 11 April saying there was "someone with a weapon on his balcony and people in camouflage and masks on the staircase landing".

Borodin had been looking for a lawyer, he explained, although he later called him back saying he was wrong and that the security men had been taking part in some sort of exercise.

After he was found badly injured at the foot of the building on Thursday, regional authorities said the door of his flat had been locked from the inside, indicating that no-one else had either entered or left the flat.

Journalism is a dangerous business in Russia, and it will become so here, if Trump has his way. Just one of the many attempts he is making to turn this country into an authoritarian state, which leads to another question.

Why are you all okay with that?

It started in earnest during Vietnam/Pentagon Papers/Watergate when conservatives incorrectly perceived ‘the media’ to be ‘biased to the left’ – which is of course a ridiculous lie.

That ‘the media’ report facts and truthful information which demonstrates conservative dogma to be wrong doesn’t make the media ‘liberal.’

And during the last 50 years conservatives have promoted the ridiculous lie that ‘the media’ are engaged in some sort of anti-conservative conspiracy in an effort to advance the ‘liberal agenda.’

Hence the rise of Fox, Breitbart, and the rightist blogosphere to propagate conservative misinformation, fake news, and lies.

How Alinsky of you.

Funniest nonsense I've read all week. The pattern of misinformation from the Left is clear to anyone observing media during the the last half century.

A free press is currently a pipe dream.

A "free press" in America means you are entitled to support the State from a left perspective and or a right perspective.

Challenge the State and you are weeded out of the "free press". These journalists are still entitled to challenge the State but must do so from a marginalized position on the fringe.

Robert Parry is an excellent example of my point.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with attacking the press when they are known to completely fabricate stuff about you.
Personally? I think news outlets should be responsible for intentionally misleading the public.
Corporations can get sued for false advertisement and lying to customers, why cant they? I mean, they can. But good luck...

Are you seriously trying to tell me that what you see on CNN, MSNBC, NBC and ABC is unbiased news reporting? Yes or No?

You asking a question does not perforce entitle you to an answer.

Your privilege is showing. :)

From your link;

Simon Maloy of the anti-Fox group Media Matters tweeted: "Pause for a moment to reflect upon what one Sean Hannity might do with news that an MSNBC personality had hidden a relationship with a Clinton attorney under criminal investigation."

Even a fellow Fox host, Juan Williams, raised this issue on the network's 5 p.m. talk show "The Five" Monday evening.

But Fox sometimes asserts that Hannity plays by different rules. While "News" is in the Fox name, Hannity proudly says he's not a journalist. In fact, he likes to say journalism is "dead."

Him saying that should be a wake-up call for every FOX viewer, but I have no doubt it won't be. Proof has been supplied over and over again that FOX is an entertainment network, and people such as Chris Wallace and Shep Smith are the exceptions, not the norm.

Speaking of journalism being dead - is this where America is headed? No truth, just the GOP propaganda network, everything else is derided and denigrated. And if people continue to speak up/out, ah. Well. They wind up dead.

Vyacheslav Bashkov described Borodin as a "principled, honest journalist" and said Borodin had contacted him at five o'clock in the morning on 11 April saying there was "someone with a weapon on his balcony and people in camouflage and masks on the staircase landing".

Borodin had been looking for a lawyer, he explained, although he later called him back saying he was wrong and that the security men had been taking part in some sort of exercise.

After he was found badly injured at the foot of the building on Thursday, regional authorities said the door of his flat had been locked from the inside, indicating that no-one else had either entered or left the flat.

Journalism is a dangerous business in Russia, and it will become so here, if Trump has his way. Just one of the many attempts he is making to turn this country into an authoritarian state, which leads to another question.

Most conservatives are okay with this because a free press is the last of this Nation’s institutions the right doesn’t control.

Conservatives control all three branches of the Federal government and most of the states, whose Congressional districts are so heavily gerrymandered in favor of Republicans that the democratic process no longer functions in those states, and where opposing views and dissent can find no political purchase.

The elimination of a free press would facilitate the right’s political hegemony for generations to come.

From your link;

Most conservatives are okay with this because a free press is the last of this Nation’s institutions the right doesn’t control.

Conservatives control all three branches of the Federal government and most of the states, whose Congressional districts are so heavily gerrymandered in favor of Republicans that the democratic process no longer functions in those states, and where opposing views and dissent can find no political purchase.

The elimination of a free press would facilitate the right’s political hegemony for generations to come.

Where's the "free press", buddy?

Most of the major networks are nothing but a propaganda arm for the globalists/Democrat party.

I know a secret I won't tell about that one. :iyfyus.jpg:

From your link;

Where's the "free press", buddy?

Most of the major networks are nothing but a propaganda arm for the globalists/Democrat party.

I know a secret I won't tell about that one. :iyfyus.jpg:
They are free to report the news from any angle they wish. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is not free.

Forum List

Back