President Trump is a modern day King David?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Some avowedly pious men and women have, of late, explained their support of President Trump by citing the example of King David, a sinner whom the Lord used for His purposes, and whose faults—crimes even—were redeemed by the good he did. According to this line of thinking advanced by politicians, activists, and even clerics of different hues, Donald Trump may have wandered far from the straight path, but he is nonetheless doing God’s work.

Get that? The Atlantic is calling our president “an evil man redeemed by the good he is doing.”

I’m not certain what the author hope to gain from this piece that cites Bible sections one after another. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to actually be an atheist.

The whole thing is @ He’s No King David

And then, The Atlantic comes out with this:

How Narcissists Wear Out Their Welcome (And Why Trump Has Not) @ A Theory for Why Trump's Base Won't Budge

Why has Trump followed the predictable course for narcissism in one way, alienating many who have served in his administration, and defied expectations in another way, by continuing to attract an adoring core?

upload_2019-12-2_10-10-30.jpeg

Some avowedly pious men and women have, of late, explained their support of President Trump by citing the example of King David, a sinner whom the Lord used for His purposes, and whose faults—crimes even—were redeemed by the good he did. According to this line of thinking advanced by politicians, activists, and even clerics of different hues, Donald Trump may have wandered far from the straight path, but he is nonetheless doing God’s work.

Get that? The Atlantic is calling our president “an evil man redeemed by the good he is doing.”

I’m not certain what the author hope to gain from this piece that cites Bible sections one after another. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to actually be an atheist.

How Narcissists Wear Out Their Welcome (And Why Trump Has Not) @ A Theory for Why Trump's Base Won't Budge

Why has Trump followed the predictable course for narcissism in one way, alienating many who have served in his administration, and defied expectations in another way, by continuing to attract an adoring core?
Whenever a Republican finds himself in deep shit with the religious base, he tries to insinuate he's a modern day King David.

Example: Sanford compares himself to King David, returns to work

Ironically, Sanford has recently challenged Trump for the 2020 nomination.

It never occurs to the rubes the evil bastards might be just what they appear to be, and that they are being deceived by one of the devil's spawn.

stormy-daniels-trump.jpg

But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
- 2 Timothy 3:13

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Just a slight correction- the Atlantic was referring to some Trump followers- the Atlantic itself was saying the comparison is wrong

But much more profoundly and seriously, the equation of David and Trump betrays a terrible misreading of the Bible. The Book of Samuel and the Book of Psalms attributed to David reveal him to be an exceptionally complex figure, and not just a (forgivably) bad guy who does good things at divine direction, or at least by divine intent. He is, after all, the sweet singer of Israel, whose religious poems even now echo several times a day in the ears and hearts of the devout. And those psalms show a man as utterly different from the American president as a person can be.

David often portrays himself as wracked with guilt and fear:

Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am wretched.

Heal me, for my limbs are stricken …

I weary in my sighing.

I make my bed swim every night, with my tears I water my couch.

The psalms attributed to David appeal to the Rock of Ages, portraying their author as bereft, vulnerable, outcast, and in mortal peril. Contrast this with a man who always describes himself as the greatest, the smartest, and the most capable, who preens about his wealth and his health, and who despises tears in himself and in others.

Whenever a Republican finds himself in deep shit with the religious base, he tries to insinuate he's a modern day King David.

It never occurs to the rubes the evil bastards might be just what they appear to be, and that they are being deceived by one of the devil's spawn.

stormy-daniels-trump.jpg

But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
The David thing always eluded me. What's the allure? A Jewish Warrior King whose personal morality is at best questionable.?

I mean what of Washington or Grant as warriors? Even Ike though he seemed more mild mannered and less literally covered in blood. Washington and Grant were both blooded before being commanders of armies.

Not to mention Lincoln or FDR who led America from literally the gates of Hell.

King David repented of his sins and became a devoted disciple of God.

To compare Trump to David is flat out blasphemous. Trump's true believers are seriously deluded and have been led off the righteous path by an evil deceiver.

Speaking of King David, he wrote Psalm 52. See if this reminds you of anyone:

Why do you boast of evil, you mighty hero?
Why do you boast all day long,
you who are a disgrace in the eyes of God?

You who practice deceit,
your tongue plots destruction;
it is like a sharpened razor.
You love evil rather than good,
falsehood rather than speaking the truth.
You love every harmful word,
you deceitful tongue!

Surely God will bring you down to everlasting ruin:
He will snatch you up and pluck you from your tent;
he will uproot you from the land of the living.

The righteous will see and fear;
they will laugh at you, saying,

“Here now is the man
who did not make God his stronghold
but trusted in his great wealth
and grew strong by destroying others!”

To compare Trump to David is flat out blasphemous. Trump's true believers are seriously deluded and have been led off the righteous path by an evil deceiver.
exactly, but when did the gop become the party whose leader had to literally repent his individual sins to God and wear his newly won righteousness like a king's robe?

I was expecting the slingshot story. Killing the Goliath Deep State.

exactly, but when did the gop become the party whose leader had to literally repent his individual sins to God and wear his newly won righteousness like a king's robe?
I think all we expect is a little basic honesty and civility.

There is no such thing as an evil man redeemed by works. The reason God called David the apple of his eye, was because David had a repentant heart.

The Atlantic doesn't know it's ass from page 8...

Last edited:

I think all we expect is a little basic honesty and civility.
Well yeah, but Reagan communed with God while on his horse. He didn't wrap himself in righteousness bestowed personally form Jehova.

stormy-daniels-trump.jpg

Trump has distinguished himself in a way no other historical figure world-wide has done.

Trust me, but for the passage of time, he is already a ledgend.

stormy-daniels-trump.jpg

Trump has distinguished himself in a way no other historical figure world-wide has done.

As are Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.

stormy-daniels-trump.jpg

As are Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.
No. Their historical significance did not survive them.

Trump's will. I gaurentee that.

I thought he was the second cyrus.
Yeah, that's the other one the rube herd uses to excuse Trump's total depravity.
the "Perisa" thing strikes me as …. odd. But more to David. He sees and lusts for Bathsheba, CHECK and has sex (maybe with or without her content) CHECK, He tries to hide his immorality from the citizens (CHECK) but fails (CHECK) and his secret is outed (Check).

God punishes David (not) David grieves too much (not) David is counseled to set aside grief and serve his people out of duty and not self interest (not)

Just seems an odd comparison, even for the Bible Humpers of Trump

Forum List

Back