President Obama: What Makes Us America

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
In a wide-ranging interview, the president discusses the battle against Islamic extremists, U.S.-Russia relations and the upcoming midterm elections.

President Obama What makes us America - CBS News

Not some Bullshit Blogger's partisan interpretation of quotes, but simply what was asked, and what answers were given:

President Obama: Well, here's what happened in Iraq. When we left, we had left them a democracy that was intact, a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course.

Looks like Bush did good.

Discuss.

.....And that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years or so because the prime minister, Maliki, was much more interested in consolidating his Shiite base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds, who make up the other two-thirds of the country. So what you did not see was a government that had built a sense of national unity. And if you don't have...

Steve Kroft: Or an army.

President Obama: Or an army that feels committed to the nation as opposed to a particular sect.........

Look more like a flawed strategy(nation building) to me.

.....And that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years or so because the prime minister, Maliki, was much more interested in consolidating his Shiite base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds, who make up the other two-thirds of the country. So what you did not see was a government that had built a sense of national unity. And if you don't have...

President Obama: Or an army that feels committed to the nation as opposed to a particular sect.........

Blindness probably has a lot to do with your point of view:

President Obama: Well, here's what happened in Iraq. When we left, we had left them a democracy that was intact, a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course.

THEN

that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years.

OK, so blaming Bush wont work. Let's blaem Maliki. I mean, it's not like Obama had any ability to influence events there, right?

iraqink_wideweb__430x343.jpg

^ The Iraq Obama inherited from Bush

article-2658858-1ECAF9E600000578-164_964x544.jpg

^ The Iraq ISIS Inherited from Obama

OK, so blaming Bush wont work. Let's blaem Maliki. I mean, it's not like Obama had any ability to influence events there, right?

Look, Maliki was the LEADER of the powerhouse nation of IRAQ, m'kay?

You cannot expect Obama to do much more than watch helplessly as this threatening international brute with untold wealth and resources at his disposal, systematically dismantled, "a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course."

THEN

Taking a few words out of many and extrapolating a meaning to fit a particular narrative probably has a lot to do with yours.

THEN

Taking a few words out of many and extrapolating a meaning to fit a particular narrative probably has a lot to do with yours.
Holding people accountable for their words really sucks sometimes. Huh?

THEN

"Out of Many?"

You want me to quote the whole fucking interview for you?

THEN

Here's the entire section of the interview in which 1. Obama praises the state of Iraq after the "flawed strategy (nation building)" when the US occupied the country, and 2. describes the disaster that happened AFTER WE LEFT (no nation building)

President Obama: Well, here's what happened in Iraq. When we left, we had left them a democracy that was intact, a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course. And that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years or so because the prime minister, Maliki, was much more interested in consolidating his Shiite base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds, who make up the other two-thirds of the country. So what you did not see was a government that had built a sense of national unity. And if you don't have...
President Obama: Or an army that feels committed to the nation as opposed to a particular sect. Now the good news is that the new prime minister, Abadi, who I met with this week, so far at least has sent all the right signals. And that's why it goes back to what I said before, Steve, we can't do this for them. We cannot do this for them because it's not just a military problem. It is a political problem. And if we make the mistake of simply sending U.S. troops back in, we can maintain peace for a while. But unless there is a change in how, not just Iraq, but countries like Syria and some of the other countries in the region, think about what political accommodation means. Think about what tolerance means
Now where in this does any bone-head arrive at the conclusion that there was any "flawed strategy" related to "nation building?

THEN

"Out of Many?"

Did I copy the whole fucking thing?

THEN

Here's the entire section of the interview in which 1. Obama praises the state of Iraq after the "flawed strategy (nation building)" and 2. describes the disaster that happened AFTER WE LEFT (no nation building)

President Obama: Well, here's what happened in Iraq. When we left, we had left them a democracy that was intact, a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course. And that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years or so because the prime minister, Maliki, was much more interested in consolidating his Shiite base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds, who make up the other two-thirds of the country. So what you did not see was a government that had built a sense of national unity. And if you don't have...
President Obama: Or an army that feels committed to the nation as opposed to a particular sect. Now the good news is that the new prime minister, Abadi, who I met with this week, so far at least has sent all the right signals. And that's why it goes back to what I said before, Steve, we can't do this for them. We cannot do this for them because it's not just a military problem. It is a political problem. And if we make the mistake of simply sending U.S. troops back in, we can maintain peace for a while. But unless there is a change in how, not just Iraq, but countries like Syria and some of the other countries in the region, think about what political accommodation means. Think about what tolerance means
Now where in this does any bone-head arrive at the conclusion that there was any "flawed strategy" related to "nation building?

It started when the occupation government disbanded the old Iraq Army, setting the stage for the Iraq Civil war and the break up of the Iraqi state.

THEN

"Out of Many?"

Did I copy the whole fucking thing?

Here you go:

President Obama: Well, here's what happened in Iraq. When we left, we had left them a democracy that was intact, a military that was well equipped, and the ability then to chart their own course.......This is AFTER the US occupied Iraq....Get It? This was the result of nation building, or as you've chosen to call it "flawed strategy."

And that opportunity was squandered over the course of five years or so because the prime minister, Maliki, was much more interested in consolidating his Shiite base and very suspicious of the Sunnis and the Kurds, who make up the other two-thirds of the country. So what you did not see was a government that had built a sense of national unity. And if you don't have
...This is AFTER the US was NOT occupying Iraq. This was the result of NOT nation building.
President Obama: Or an army that feels committed to the nation as opposed to a particular sect. Now the good news is that the new prime minister, Abadi, who I met with this week, so far at least has sent all the right signals.....
Did Abadi just magically show up one day? No, The USA made it happen: Again, NATION BUILDING

And that's why it goes back to what I said before, Steve, we can't do this for them We cannot do this for them because it's not just a military problem. It is a political problem. And if we make the mistake of simply sending U.S. troops back in, we can maintain peace for a while. But unless there is a change in how, not just Iraq, but countries like Syria and some of the other countries in the region, think about what political accommodation means. Think about what tolerance means....
Gee I wonder how this is going to happen....NATION BUILDING? OR WAVING A MAGIC WAND?

See, Blind Boo's naturaly defense mechanism will kick in and he will misinterpret, distort, mock or otherwise dismiss what you say because he cannot win on the merits and cannot admit that fact.
The fact is Iraq was doing relatively well when Bush left office. Infrastructure was rebuilding. Oil was starting to flow. The country had had 2 free and fair elections--more than Democrats have allowed here.
And everyone told Obama, if you pull out and wash your hands we'll back there within 10 yers.
And voila, exactly what happened.

THEN

Here's the entire section of the interview in which 1. Obama praises the state of Iraq after the "flawed strategy (nation building)" and 2. describes the disaster that happened AFTER WE LEFT (no nation building)

It started when the occupation government disbanded the old Iraq Army, setting the stage for the Iraq Civil war and the break up of the Iraqi state.

Well, I guess you and Obama disagree.

USMB nutters would be served well if they sought out real understanding instead of always looking for a "gotchya" moment. The past matters.....the present is only the present for a moment in time. Things happen.....then other things happen.....things change.

When you look for simple solutions to complex problems......and then bitch and moan every time shit isn't simple.....you are probably a USMB nutter.

USMB nutters would be served well if they sought out real understanding instead of always looking for a "gotchya" moment. The past matters.....the present is only the present for a moment in time. Things happen.....then other things happen.....things change.

When you look for simple solutions to complex problems......and then bitch and moan every time shit isn't simple.....you are probably a USMB nutter.

What are you babbling about?

"gotchya moment?" The entire interview?

"Nutter's" like Steve Kroft on 60 minutes?

Forum List

Back