President Obama signs into law ban on cell phones in federal prisons

I know, right? It's a no-brainer but notice at the end of the article it says they still will have to do a government study to determine the effectiveness of the ban? :lol:

" The Federal Bureau of Prisons confiscated more than 2,600 cell phones from minimum security facilities and nearly 600 from secure federal institutions last year.

"Now that this bill has become law, prison gangs will no longer be able to use cell phones to direct criminal attacks on individuals, to decide territory for the distribution of drugs, or conduct credit card fraud," said Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-California, a co-sponsor of the bill.

"Making it illegal for criminals to use cell phones and wireless devices in federal prison cuts their communication link and helps keep our communities safe," said her Republican counterpart, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa.

Cell phones are prized among inmates, officials said. A government report said California prison inmates pay $500 to $1,000 per cell phone.

The new law calls for a government study to be issued in a year to measure the effectiveness of the new prohibition.
"

I am flabbergasted that this wasn't a law already.

Fucking Bush...

I'm pretty sure cell phones and such were not permitted prior to the signing of this bill, this bill simply establishes penalties for people caught with one in, or caught smuggling one in, to federal lockups.

Last edited:

Fucking Bush...

:lol:

I'm pretty sure cell phones and such were not permitted prior to the signing of this bill, this bill simply establishes penalties for people caught with one in, or caught smuggling one in, to federal lockups.

That sounds about right...

Monday, August 02, 2010

Congress last month passed legislation specifically classifying cell phones and wireless devices at federal prisons as contraband material, The Associated Press reported. Currently, the technology is not considered contraband and prison guards can go unpunished for helping smuggle cell phones to inmates, even though they can collect hundreds or even thousands of dollars in bribes for doing so, the AP said.

The federal legislation could send a strong message to prison guards who have helped smuggle cell phones. But the change would affect only federal prisons, which contain a relatively small percentage of the nation’s prisoners.

States want Congress to go further by jamming cell phone signals at their own correctional facilities. A series of recent incidents in New Jersey, for example — including one in which an inmate allegedly ordered a “hit” on his ex-girlfriend from inside prison — has led the state corrections chief there to seek expanded cell phone-blocking technology, The Star-Ledger reported.

Cell phones pose challenge at prisons

Good, this should once and for all nip that problem in the bud. Now there's no WAY these guys will be getting their hands on a cell phone in there.

He should ban rapes and murders in prison too so that those things never ever ever happen again.

Fucking Bush...

Cell phones were not designated as contraband before the law went into effect. But wouldn't pay phones in all jails be "cell" phones anyways? (Couldn't help it!)
Grassley seeks ban on cell phones in federal prisons

All this law did was increase the profit margins for cell phones. I remember reading when MA outlawed cigarettes in state prisons a single pack went from about $5 to $100 overnight. Prisons are cash cows for the State and we're stoopid enough to let them lock up millions of people for using or selling drugs.

WTF are you babbling about now?!?!

NO ONE is going to be legally profiting from selling cell phones, unless they are being sold on the black market.

I know, right? It's a no-brainer but notice at the end of the article it says they still will have to do a government study to determine the effectiveness of the ban? :lol:

" The Federal Bureau of Prisons confiscated more than 2,600 cell phones from minimum security facilities and nearly 600 from secure federal institutions last year.

"Now that this bill has become law, prison gangs will no longer be able to use cell phones to direct criminal attacks on individuals, to decide territory for the distribution of drugs, or conduct credit card fraud," said Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-California, a co-sponsor of the bill.

"Making it illegal for criminals to use cell phones and wireless devices in federal prison cuts their communication link and helps keep our communities safe," said her Republican counterpart, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa.

Cell phones are prized among inmates, officials said. A government report said California prison inmates pay $500 to $1,000 per cell phone.

The new law calls for a government study to be issued in a year to measure the effectiveness of the new prohibition.
"

My prediction.

The study will determine that the law is completely ineffective.

All this law did was increase the profit margins for cell phones. I remember reading when MA outlawed cigarettes in state prisons a single pack went from about $5 to $100 overnight. Prisons are cash cows for the State and we're stoopid enough to let them lock up millions of people for using or selling drugs.

NO ONE is going to be legally profiting from selling cell phones, unless they are being sold on the black market.

I never said anyone would legally profit from selling cell phones. Learn how to read.

I never said anyone would legally profit from selling cell phones. Learn how to read.

Then how is it relevant to "Prisons being Cash Cows for the state?"

Idiot.

Forum List

Back