President John McCain

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Orange_Juice, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Orange_Juice

Orange_Juice Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Who will dislike him more, liberals or Conservatives?

I bet President McCain is disliked very much by the right wing of the Republican party. They have cozied up to him to win the election but once it is over, Sarah Palin is put into a little show case and harmless job and McCain turns to deal with serious problems--Iraq, the budget, Global Warming, energy policy etc., I bet the right howls more than the left over the decisions he makes.

Liberals will be praying very hard that he doesn't die in office while I don't know what Conservatives will pray for in regards to McCain's health

*I don't write this thinking McCain will win

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Speaking as one, I can affirm that is the very harsh reality McCain has to face.

Also, he will have to give her lots more authority. He is going to owe her big time.

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Conservatives such as myself will not vote for John McCain. I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries, and will vote for Bob Barr on Nov. 4. He will get much more criticism from the right, because he doesn't represent those ideals at all.

4. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Liberals....

5. chapstic

chapstic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    another junk post. what's new these days?

6. clazona

clazona Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good choice. People should vote for the individual and not the party. Follow this guy's example people. Elect the individual and not the party. "The lesser of two evil?" Guess what, both parties are.

7. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    So is you new strategy to convince us that McCain is really the same as Obama? I really don't understand your new take, it's abso-fucking-lutely stupid.

8. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    McCain voted with George Bush 90% of the time. McCain is the same as Bush.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    The radicalization of the conservative mindset on this board is quite obvious.

McCain is too liberal?

Yee Gads!

10. Paine

Paine Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an independent, I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary in my state. At the time, I disliked G. W. Bush and thought that McCain had enough moderate tendencies to make him a viable alternative to Gore. In particular, I thought his standards of honor and service were admirable.

Now, I find some of his approaches questionable. I understand that he wants to win (as any candidate would), no matter the cost. However, the very features that I had once liked are much harder to discern.

I respectfully disagree with the assessment that McCain is "the same as Bush." I believe McCain will indeed try to listen to all sides and broker the middle ground solutions in some cases. I also believe he has a firm grasp on international relations (although I disagree with many of his solutions).

However, by allying himself with so many of the central power centers of the Republican Party, he has trapped himself. If McCain achieves the Presidency, the social conservatives and Evangelicals, tax conservatives, and defense conservatives will hold him to his promises - even if he comes to believe that an alternative approach is best. His cabinet and advisers will be from those groups - the groups that gained him the office. His maverick days are over.

Our country has numerous issues to resolve, including the Soc Security and Medicare deficits, the revitalization of the American economy, and the conduct and resolution of the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. To help solve those problems, I believe that our next President must be untethered from conventional political power brokers. I'm no longer certain that McCain/Palin is the pair to accomplish that.