Preacher politicians

Actually, the "my people" mentioned has to mean the Israelites at the time, but the "My people" also refers to all of the Believers in the Messiah. I, not any true Christian would ever say that being an American makes one a Christian. That would be foolish. We have not said that in the past, nor do we say it now.

And "my people" still means Israel to this day. Now I never said that all Americans are Christians, just that we freely have the choice to be. I am one also.

... I believe we can be honest in all of our practices. As a Parole Officer for 21 years, I discovered that the truth never hindered any of my investigations.

However, God will not keep this nation under the protection that He has if Christians resort to lies in order to bring conviction upon the enemy. We must still walk "With" God if we want to be under His care and protection. Otherwise we then become the enemy. Tactics do not have to change morally, just in technology, or methods that are morally upright.

No please re-examine...Cases of national security requires counter-intelligence, spies, lies, and propaganda, none of which are illegal, but ALL are immoral, and quite “unchristian-like” for behavior. We have whole sections of government who’s sole job is to lie.
There are black operations that include espionage, even killing. These tactics are for the good of our nation and are quite necessary.

Further...How can a Christian kill another Christian, or of any other faith human being, knowing that the victim will be damned for eternity without Jesus in their life? Yet many Christians are in the military. (BTW you do support the socalized military don't you?)

The bible clearly states about the glory of heaven as "there shall be no liars there"
What are we to do? Separate church and state? Yes. That is exactly what we did.

I think we are saying just about the same thing, agreeing, but using different words. The Schipture I used concerning "My people" mentioned those "who are called by My name." That is an automatic inclusion of Christians in the family because that same wording is used in the New Testiment.

We agree that certain things are immoral, and Christians should not be doing them. I am not sure that we agree that Christians do have a place in the governmental leadership of the nation. Certainly we are instructed to pray for our Government, and I would hope that is a powerful part all Christians play. We are instructed to render unto "Caesar..." So, our money does enter into the mix. I believe we might need to realize that everything we have belongs to God, so what really is Caesar's? However, it is not immoral to pay taxes.

There are a lot of issues within the political/religion arena. We will not find concrete solutions as to what is right or wrong in every area. That is why we trust in and follow the Holy Spirit in our lives. He is out hope for direction and wisdom.

As for me and my house, God is the God of our home, and we will follow Him.

A side note:
Even today as I was teaching a student, something came up in Economics class that caused me to to have to give God His rightful place in the discussion. He does have a rightful place there. The student was pleased that I was transparent. I believe we must allow the Spirit to work in and through us when He is seeking to do so. Does that belong in government? Wrong question, the right question is Does government have a controlling role in what God is doing?

Solomon prayed for the wisdom to lead his people. Only wisdom.
Because he was not greedy, God (quite literally) gave him everything.
So who do you put first God or your people?
Irrelevant AS LONG they both come before the person praying for guidance. We don't need an old testament king to lead us. We need their ideals implanted in our modern government officials.

Lord bless the Christian political preacher. Yes Lord, bless him, and if he is wrong, forgive him, for the arrogance of use of the pulpit for his own opinion.

I believe:
The church is to feed the soul that hungers, and is no place for politics.
The church is no place for a differing opinion therefore no one can have a debate.
God is the same yesterday today and forever.

Yet, American Politics is an ever changing skirmish of humans trying to govern themselves.

In a church, you can't take issue with the speaker, because he is presenting the unquestionable word of GOD! If you don't believe that you wouldn't be there.
This "Lectern" or podium, is supposed to be a holy alter. An alter reminiscent of the blood sacrifice before the one and only God! For Politics? For shame I say!

How pale the comparison, and justly loose much complexion.

Only after all political sides are examined, and debated, ONLY then can the truth can be deduced. That is a job for a congressman, not an ordained minister.
The preacher belittles not only himself, but his office.

He would separate himself from souls who would prosper by God's word for eternal life, rather supplanting a possible differing political view, robs his crown of more stars, and the flock is turned away hungry.
Perhaps one would think that this pastor's views are the only views a Christian can have. So if you don't agree with his political views, you would not only reject his church, but perhaps his whole "Christianity?"

How about that for a "stumbling block"?

If done outside the church, his credibility is NOT to God, HOWEVER just as a Doctor who carries a "Dr." in front of their name, he should not claim to be other than a "citizen" unless he would will to be held liable.
A citizen as are we all!
These pastors have a spotlight problem "look at the credibility I have, this is my opinion".
Better to find a message board and vent his political voice, and exercise his debate.

You're babbling.

Church is for much more than just "feeding a soul that hungers", whatever the hell it is you think that means. Church is for learning to be a better Christian -or whatever your religion, because certainly non-Christian churches fulfill the same function - and a better person, and how to apply your faith to your everyday life. I realize this is a shocking concept to many people on this board, but religious faith is not just some feelgood spiritual shot you stop in once a week to pick up. It's actually intended to be a nuts-and-bolts part of how you conduct even the most mundane aspects of your existence. Which certainly includes politics, and certainly requires the church to discuss how such things relate to the lives of Christians.

Also, while I know some churches and religions do require you to accept the pastor's words as unquestioned messages from on high, Christian churches generally do not. Christians are encouraged to think for themselves, work out their own, personal relationships with God according to the revelations He gives them, and share them with others - including the pastor, who is just as much an imperfect work in progress as anyone else.

I do, however, believe that a person cannot both pastor a church and run for politics. This is not because I somehow believe that religion should be divorced from real life, or that ministers somehow lose their right to participate in public life like anyone else can, but because pastoring a church is a full-time job, to which those called should devote their full attention.

Separation of Church & State. Please.

Separation of church and state is not meant to prevent people with strong religious convictions from entering politics. Rather it is meant to protect their right to adhere to their religion without fear of repercussions or bias.

Separation of Church & State. Please.

Separation of church and state is not meant to prevent people with strong religious convictions from entering politics. Rather it is meant to protect their right to adhere to their religion without fear of repercussions or bias.

It seems like, more and more, "separation of church and state" means - to some people - "put those damned religious fanatics on a reservation somewhere and keep them away from other people".

Then I suppose you all would be ok with a law requiring all women wear a burka?

If you are against that then you are a hypocrit..

I agree. I don't think Jesus has a side in Politics (I think it's funny when Republicans say them winning is "Gods Will" but not the same if a Dem won) but if he did, I truely believe he'd be a Liberal. Either way though, I don't think a preacher has any right to tell his flock how to vote or think on issues. They should be preaching to the lost instead of worrying how their church is going to vote.

Forum List

Back