Posting Pics of your kids on the internet

I think having a "safe place" to post your pics for family and friends would be ok.

I'm talking about people who just post pics of their kids all over the internet, for every freakazoid out there. To me it just doesn't seem safe.

Oh, ok. *phew* That makes me feel better.

I agree with you. NOT safe....too many freaks who could (and would) use children's pictures in unsavory and inappropriate ways. NO WAY do I want that to happen to my kids.

Good idea or bad idea?

Why or why not?

Why not just say here pervert come get this one.

I wouldn't post pics of my kids just anywhere, and NEVER with their names or anything to identify who or where they are. I wouldn't sign the permission form for their old preschool to use their pictures on their web page for example (complete with the place's name, address and directions from the nearest highway, the idiots). I was the only parent who didn't. :cuckoo:

But there's caution and there's paranoia.

Good idea or bad idea?

Why or why not?

Why not just say here pervert come get this one.

I wouldn't post pics of my kids just anywhere, and NEVER with their names or anything to identify who or where they are. I wouldn't sign the permission form for their old preschool to use their pictures on their web page for example (complete with the place's name, address and directions from the nearest highway, the idiots). I was the only parent who didn't. :cuckoo:

But there's caution and there's paranoia.

Caution = Not posting information like location and name.

Paranoia = Worrying that people will magically be able to find this information out.

I subscribe to an Australian-based Ubuntu email discussion list. I can't post what I read but one contributor suggested that it was a Gen Y thing to want to put all your personal details out there on the net. I'm a boomer and I fully admit I don't understand this impulse to display even the most intimate details of oneself to the world. I do know one thing. It is a bloody stupid idea to put your kids details out there.

SuperStock_1560R-2052356.jpg

Good idea or bad idea?

Why or why not?

Of course this depends on the individual and how much privacy they require in their life.
Personally, I have uploaded photos of my children onto my Facebook and that's it. The only ones who can see them, are my close-knit group of friends.

Now, that being said, my little one wants to create his own LEGO vids and upload them to YouTube. Granted, he doesn't have to be in them, but it still concerns me.

Over-protective? I don't think so.

As a few of you know, my son just got back from Uganda. He blogged about his experiences on facebook and posted a zillion pics. I can't tell you how many people I hardly know (or even met for the first time) have said "Oh I've been following your son's trip on facebook". Granted he's a good writer and funny as hell, but on his fb are also A LOT of other things I don't want strangers or co-workers or distant relatives to know. Lots of profanity and sex talk amongst college freshmen. I wish he had kept it private.

I;m not a big fan of fb. Great way to keep in touch with people who live far away, but I try to keep mine very G-rated. Comments have a way of coming back and biting you in the ass. I think a lot of these kids will experience some repercussions in their future.

I told my son "I guess you can forget about running for Congress" lol

Forum List

Back