Posters for the jury

Great input, guys!

And, I've been considering what a lot of you are saying. I think if we do this, we have to be realistic. We are all news junkies, so we ARE going to see outside influence. And, honestly, because we are a mock jury, and we've all demonstrated an ability to analyze the veracity of what the news has reported, I think we can still do it.

In fact, I think we can still do it and even discuss the case in other threads. But, when we discuss among ourselves, we agree that we only use information that is in the trial and in front of the jury. And, we agree that we will all do our best not to let the media and other information sources influence our decisions.

It's not going to be perfect, and it's not going to be real, but I think it will be an amusing exercise.

So far, our desired list of jurors is Si modo, Emma, Paperview, Gawdag, Gadfly, Bigreb, California Girl, Lockejaw, High_Gravity, Ravi, Uptownliving, and Trajan.

I propose the following alternates: Del, Intense, MeBelle ;), and Syrenn.

We can discuss other alternates, too.

I will send a PM to each poster informing them that they have been selected for the mock jury in this case.

I propose that they agree to the following:

1. We will be self governing, both mock jurors and alternates; and we understand that the greatest award all of us can get from this is if we all do our best to follow the guidelines we agree to follow.

2. We will only consider evidence and testimony presented at trial and while the real jury is present.

3. As we are all news junkies, we understand that we all will be exposed to media reports about the trial.

4. The mock jurors and the alternates will be equal members of this group with the only difference between the two groups is that those in the mock jurors group will have their final vote on the verdict counted.

5. We will pledge to each other that we will not allow the media reports to influence our discussions and opinions concerning the case and will each do our best to call attention to the extraneous information and not to allow that information to enter our discussion and points of arguments.

6. In breaking from the normal suggested operations of juries in the United States of America, and in the interest of keeping the thread lively and interesting, we will discuss the evidence as we become aware of it.

7. If any member believes any evidence or testimony another member presents to the group is information that is outside of what the real jury will hear or has heard, that member will tell the group. Then the group will decide, based on # 2 above, whether the group should continue discussing that information or not.

8. Of course, any member of USMB is free to post in the thread. Some of those posters may present information to the group that is not in compliance with # 2. The group will thank that other poster for their information and then inform the other poster that we cannot consider that information.

9. Invariably, there will be troll posts. Each member of the group pledges to the other members of this group that we will not be sidetracked into a troll argument and will continue to focus on the information pertaining to the trial and presented at the trial in the presence of the real jury. If we cannot resist the troll post, we pledge to start another thread on that topic.

10. We all understand that we are voluntarily participating in this exercise. We may withdraw at any time, but will let the group know immediately of our intent to leave the mock jury. At that point, the next alternate mock juror will be informed that their final vote on the case will be counted. Alternate mock jurors will be taken in alphabetical order of their usernames.

11. We will allow ourselves to participate in other threads about the trial, but will remember that we will only discuss information in compliance with # 2 above when we are in this thread.

12. If we have personal knowledge and/or experience on any topic we discuss, we will allow that input in our discussions, but we understand that we will provide supporting information to other mock jurors so that we all can be informed on that mock jurors expertise. For example, if a mock juror is personally familiar with a road intersection in Sanford, FL, and that is material information for making an intermediate decision, s/he will tell the group of that knowledge and provide supporting information about that knowledge as best s/he can.

Can you guys think of any other guideline we would all like to agree to or any edit of the above?

Once I have a final draft of the guidelines, I will send PMs to the mock jurors and alternates, and start a new thread for the mock jury and title that thread appropriately. And, when all reply and agree, we can get started.

If some of you are into more strict guidelines, I’m still open to them, of course. But I also think we need to be realistic. I believe all who have shown an interest so far are perfectly capable of following the guidelines.

This sounds good to me, I am in.

1. If a moderator would agree to it, having someone to clean out way off topic posts and/or troll posts might be valuable in pruning out posts that detract from the central purpose, the examination and evaluation of evidence presented at trial.

2. I mentioned before, in a jury there is a degree of anonymity during the actual voting, would it be possible to setup a separate restricted access thread for just the juror's so votes will not be public until announced? (I guess voting could occur via PM to the "Lead Juror" as an alternative.)

>>>>
While I agree those are great ideas, I think it would be a better idea if we all stick to self-governing and we request no special treatment of or attention to this thread from the staff.

They are busy enough as it is. They don't need any extra moderation duties than they already have, IMO. (That should score me a few suck-up points for the day. ;))

No, seriously, my strong preference is that this group remains self-governing in the purest sense that we can.

But, we can further discuss this if you would like.
I'm good 100% with your guidelines you posted on page 11 for all of us to agree to. But as far as the troll posts and off topics being removed, I think that's an important part of making this as smooth as possible. You can see it happening already with people just getting their panties in a wad just because we decided to do this. Do we have anyone with mod capabilities on our juror list?

Locke brings up a good point, if people like that clown Ariux come in here it will be easy to get side tracked.

While I agree those are great ideas, I think it would be a better idea if we all stick to self-governing and we request no special treatment of or attention to this thread from the staff.

They are busy enough as it is. They don't need any extra moderation duties than they already have, IMO. (That should score me a few suck-up points for the day. ;))

No, seriously, my strong preference is that this group remains self-governing in the purest sense that we can.

I'm good 100% with your guidelines you posted on page 11 for all of us to agree to. But as far as the troll posts and off topics being removed, I think that's an important part of making this as smooth as possible. You can see it happening already with people just getting their panties in a wad just because we decided to do this. Do we have anyone with mod capabilities on our juror list?

Locke brings up a good point, if people like that clown Ariux come in here it will be easy to get side tracked.

We have Trajan on the list... he's a mod.... and he can be an ass kicker when necessary. :lol:

1. If a moderator would agree to it, having someone to clean out way off topic posts and/or troll posts might be valuable in pruning out posts that detract from the central purpose, the examination and evaluation of evidence presented at trial.

2. I mentioned before, in a jury there is a degree of anonymity during the actual voting, would it be possible to setup a separate restricted access thread for just the juror's so votes will not be public until announced? (I guess voting could occur via PM to the "Lead Juror" as an alternative.)

>>>>

Trajan does (I added him for several reasons, ya know. ;))

I have yet to hear from him, though, so that is not guaranteed.

When we hear from him we can ask him if he is willing to move the trolling/seriously off topic posts (like if we all get attracted to some shiney object or some chocolates) posts to the flame zone or rubber room - his choice.

Only if he is willing to take on that bit extra work.

We have Trajan on the list... he's a mod.... and he can be an ass kicker when necessary. :lol:

CG you should be on the jury, you have been pretty fair in regards to this case.

He does bring up a good point and I totally agree. We'll see if Trajan wants to pick up that bit extra work........

CG you should be on the jury, you have been pretty fair in regards to this case.
Yeah, I agree. We've since updated the list. Post #167 has the current list.

We will likely need to update some more as we go along ironing out the who and hows.

I can attest to that. Trajan was rapid in his response to my complaint about the threads on this case always ending up on the race board ,evenwhen they had nothing to do with race. I think it took him a total of between 5-10 minutes to get it done.

I forgot he was on the list. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Trajan does (I added him for several reasons, ya know. ;))

I have yet to hear from him, though, so that is not guaranteed.

When we hear from him we can ask him if he is willing to move the trolling/seriously off topic posts (like if we all get attracted to some shiney object or some chocolates) posts to the flame zone or rubber room - his choice.

Only if he is willing to take on that bit extra work.
We all must do our part in sucking up to Trajan before the trial starts.

Should be a factor in whether you are chosen to be a juror.:D

We will likely need to update some more as we go along ironing out the who and hows.

If we are short of jurors, I'd like to suggest Sarah G. Rational woman. And funny.

If we are short of jurors, I'd like to suggest Sarah G. Rational woman. And funny.
Sarah G is a good pick too.
Like plasmaball said, world watcher would be a good pick from what I've seen him post also.

Last edited:

Like plasmaball said, world watcher would be a good pick to from what I've seen him post also.

That's possibly the only smart thing Plasmabutt has said since he joined. World Watcher would be an excellent alternate.... I'd have gone with Navy 1960 as well but he's not on the board that often and I doubt he'd want to commit to it. But when it comes to logic...that guy is da bomb!

Like plasmaball said, world watcher would be a good pick to from what I've seen him post also.

That's possibly the only smart thing Plasmabutt has said since he joined. World Watcher would be an excellent alternate.... I'd have gone with Navy 1960 as well but he's not on the board that often and I doubt he'd want to commit to it. But when it comes to logic...that guy is da bomb!

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of conversing with navy1960. I'd take your word on that, since it's golden with me.:D

World Watcher would be an excellent alternate....

I just think you have a thing for guys in Uniform.

(For those that don't know, Navy Crackerjacks (Enlisted Service Dress) are absolute chick magnets.)

>>>>

Meh.... I have standards.... If you don't rank at least Capt, I ain't interested. :lol: Enlists... pah.

So, you are into old guys huh?

(Navy Captain is an O-5 and typically takes about 20-years to get to.)

>>>>

Forum List

Back