Post Rapture Toughts

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by taichiliberal, May 22, 2011.

1. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Now I've witnessed several well publicized "predictions" of the End-of days and the rapture come and go in my life thus far....and I've noticed several constants.

1 - the self proclaimed prophets NEVER give up their claim to religious insight or paranormal abilities.
    2 - these prophets and preachers/reverends STILL have a sizeable amount of followers after their very public screw up.
    3 - only a brief follow up of all the followers and their leaders is done after the humiliation of publically being proven wrong.
    4 - the word CULT is NEVER used when talking about these folks.

And #4 is what really concerns me. Think about it...you had people all over this country actually give up their possessions, take time from their lives and jobs to run around handing out leaflets and standing on corners with bull horns "preaching the message", and giving their hard earned money to various "churches" where the clergy leader(s) has given them the "word". One joker, 89 year old Harold Camping who's a millionaire owning dozens of radio stations for his "Family Radio" programs (aimed at "christian" families) made millions of dollars in donations prior to the predicted doomsday....the idea that those left behind and NOT raptured would need to be guided by Campings church to survive the apocalypse and get right with God.

Sounds like a cult to me....but our media will NEVER (in my humble opinion) call these actions "cultish" because they are based on an interpretation of the Bible....and let's face it, the Catholic church wields a lot of political power in America...and although the neither the Arch Bishop or the Pope in Rome have condoned or supported all this doomsday nonsense, they're hesitant to just come out and say that the parts of the Bible that talk about doomsday is more metaphorical than prophetical. Maybe they're annoyed at all these people NOT waiting for the "official" word on the rapture and doomsday? Anyway, calling any derivative of catholicism a "cult" if NOT something we're likely to see soon.
    And what would happen if the Pope or one of his arch-bishops actually sounded the doomsday alarm? Would we see a repeat of the last week increased 100 fold? I mean, what the hell is the difference between this and a bunch of Scientologists, or "moonies" or followers of "Rama" or what have you? This scares me to some degree, because like some grade B horror movie from the 1970's, these people are EVERYWHERE in our society...here in New York City you had a retired Metro Transport Authority worker give up his life savings to buy billboards and such to announce the coming rapture. Did this guy seem rational during his years of service? What would happen if the preachers of this nonsense decided that God and the Bible decrees that heretics, atheists, agnostics, blasphemers and worshippers of false gods be "smited"...or made war against as decreed by Revelations? Because remember, there is no set number of folk that are supposed to be raptured, so a few of the faithful go into hiding, the preachers cry "rapture", and the war between good and evil begins.

Well, the befuddled retired MTA worker was swarmed by the press yeserday after the deadline for death/rapture came and went without incident, he stated, "...I don't know what happened. I don't understand". Well, now financially strapped, maybe he can borrow a few dollars from his relgious mentor Camping...unless Camping has been "raptured" to parts unknown that does not have extradition agreements with the USA.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    People fall for false prophets all the time and will continue to do so. Take Obama, for example.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Actually, Fools like xsited1 just keep repeating the bogus "messiah" noise that was started by neocon pundits during the 2008 campaign.....NO person who voted for Obama called him the messiah or considered him a prophet, and I defy jokers like xsited1 to prove otherwise.

I surprised xsited1 isn't working for Camping! :razz:

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,199
    What I find interesting about this "religious" predictor, he based his claim, not on any sort of communication from God, but some complex formula he "reasoned" out for himself. He thought he was so much smarter than everyone else for having "figured it out."

If someone proposes to teach about something God is planning to do based on his own methods and has no communication with God, you can safely ignore them. God speaks for Himself when He plans on doing things.

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Actually Duh Lawd did stop by the other day. Like his last appearance,to Moses Goldenfarber, I heard his voice come from the volcano.
    He said " Douger. You are right. This planet is full of fucking morons and I cannot find even one worthy of transporting to my realm in the other dimension".
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Yep. The mushrooms here are every bit as potent as those in the middle east.

Attached Files:

6. American Legacy

American Legacy Federalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    "No man knows the hour or the day".

'Nuff said.

7. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    what's a "tought"?

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Be careful. Using the word 'fool' can send you straight to Hell.

Don't get your panties in a wad. Obama promised Hope and Change and some people fell for it. Now those with brains regret their decision. Anyhow, here's a great website on the 'Messiah' thing. It really should be a red flag for those who have even the most miniscule reasoning skills.

Is Barack Obama the Messiah?

9. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    What's sad is that Camping is NOT unique....check out your TV on Saturday and Sunday mornings and early afternoon...there's always some clown claiming to be a prophet or offering miracle cures or telling people how to live or act or vote, etc....and all with either Bible in hand or a plethora of quotations. They don't scare me as much as the followers.

10. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Religions would be laughable if they didn't wind up killing so many people.