Possibly criminal charges in Murdoch/Newscorp scandal

It is illegal for a US company to pay bribes to any public official.

Part of the scandal is they paid bribes to cops to look the other way.

This is a fun scandal, and it is going to have all kinds of interesting repercussions.

• Banned

Makes me wonder why you're only interested in it now.

Because it's all over the news?

Because Murdoch is trying to grab a much larger share of the British Media at the moment?

Because it turns out that Murdoch was bribing cops to get personal information on 9/11 victims and their families?

I think the better question would be: Why would you "wonder" something like that?

Sure seems like something that would have more of an effect on my life than, say, Anthony Weiner's weiner.

Last edited:
Why haven't criminal charges been filed? Maybe the evesdropping laws are different in the UK and no laws have been broken in the US? You can bet your ass-ets that A.G. Holder is on the case. It's ironic that Holder may have broken the law when he negotiated the release of the most notorious corprate pirate in history in exchange for a million dollar donation to the Clinton "library" but that's water under the bridge.

Makes me wonder why you're only interested in it now.

Because it's all over the news?

Because Murdoch is trying to grab a much larger share of the British Media at the moment?

Because it turns out that Murdoch was bribing cops to get personal information on 9/11 victims and their families?

I think the better question would be: Why would you "wonder" something like that?

Sure seems like something that would have more of an effect on my life than, say, Anthony Weiner's weiner.

Why would it impact on your life? Do you live in the UK? No. Are our laws about broadcasting the same as theirs? No. Is there any suggestion that this crosses over to the US? No.

It wasn't 'Murdoch', it was journalists working for his companies.

The victims of 9-11 involved were British, not Americans. Nothing to see there either.

• Banned
Why would it impact on your life? Do you live in the UK? No. Are our laws about broadcasting the same as theirs? No. Is there any suggestion that this crosses over to the US? No.

The victims of 9-11 involved were British, not Americans. Nothing to see there either.

Umm, the question I had in the OP, specifically was: "Makes you wonder how many phones Newscorp has hacked in the US."

And it wasn't "journalists working for his companies", it was Murdoch's son, James.

And the article is in fact titled "James Murdoch 'could face prosecution' in US and UK over hacking scandal".

So, yes, I am in fact concerned that American citizens, like myself, may have also been victimized by Newscorp's blatant disregard for privacy and the rule of law.

Umm, the question I had in the OP, specifically was: "Makes you wonder how many phones Newscorp has hacked in the US."

And it wasn't "journalists working for his companies", it was Murdoch's son, James.

And the article is in fact titled "James Murdoch 'could face prosecution' in US and UK over hacking scandal".

So, yes, I am in fact concerned that American citizens, like myself, may have also been victimized by Newscorp's blatant disregard for privacy and the rule of law.

Yea, unlike you (apparently), I've been following this this since 2006. The whole shitstorm revolves around private investigators hired and paid by newspapers owned by News Corp. So, it really was, in fact, 'journalists working for his companies'.

James Murdoch may face prosecution because he's the boss of News International... which is the parent company of the NotW.

If you're gonna take an interest, get ALL the facts first.

Yea, unlike you (apparently), I've been following this this since 2006. The whole shitstorm revolves around private investigators hired and paid by newspapers owned by News Corp. So, it really was, in fact, 'journalists working for his companies'.

James Murdoch may face prosecution because he's the boss of News International... which is the parent company of the NotW.

Who hired the "private investigators"? Did individual, low-level journalists just take it upon themselves to use some of their own hard-earned money to hire some private dicks?

Seems pretty damn unlikely to me. And since Murdoch is the one facing possible criminal charges, it seems like the authorities find it pretty unlikely as well.

And, in my opinion, if NewsCorp seemed perfectly comfortable doing it over there, who's to say they didn't do it over here too?

Should we just take their word for it then?

Who hired the "private investigators"? Did individual, low-level journalists just take it upon themselves to use some of their own hard-earned money to hire some private dicks?

Seems pretty damn unlikely to me. And since Murdoch is the one facing possible criminal charges, it seems like the authorities find it pretty unlikely as well.

And, in my opinion, if NewsCorp seemed perfectly comfortable doing it over there, who's to say they didn't do it over here too?

Whether or not it 'seems pretty damn unlikely' to you or not is of no consequence. It is more likely to have been the Editor in Chief of the NotW at that time - one Rebekah Brooks.... and if I were you, I would hang my hat on that one.... because it is her close relationship with Murdoch that will be their undoing. Not hysterical ranting.

UK to investigate 9/11 phone-hacking claims - World news - Europe - msnbc.com

LONDON — British Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday pledged that his government would look into whether American 9/11 victims were targeted by News Corp. journalists in the phone-hacking scandal.

Would you look at that? I imagine you all are going to turn around and start calling the British Prime Minister a "Liberal Hack" now, or something like that?

No. Although, as a British Conservative, he is more a Blue Dog Dem than a Republican. However, he was asked - by a Labour MP, I think - during PMs Questions today - if he would ensure that the inquiry would be tasked to consider any potential US victims. That does not mean there is any evidence to suggest that there are US victims, just than someone thought it would be a good idea to ensure that the possibility was under the scope of the inquiry. SOP and very reasonable. I suspect, if this were a US investigation, that we would do likewise.

I haven't suggested anyone should take anyone's word for it. What I have said is that the allegations so far are all within the UK..... and that it is very likely that it will go beyond News Corp. I know that the only interest for the US is News Corp but it appears, from conversations with journalists I know, that other newspapers are involved. It would, therefore, be a fundamental flaw within the UK's media.... not necessary a News Corp culture of corruption. Of course, News Corp may well be corrupt.... I would not be surprised if that were the case.... but, so far, the evidence points not to a culture within News Corps, but within the UK media.

I haven't suggested anyone should take anyone's word for it. What I have said is that the allegations so far are all within the UK..... and that it is very likely that it will go beyond News Corp. I know that the only interest for the US is News Corp but it appears, from conversations with journalists I know, that other newspapers are involved. It would, therefore, be a fundamental flaw within the UK's media.... not necessary a News Corp culture of corruption. Of course, News Corp may well be corrupt.... I would not be surprised if that were the case.... but, so far, the evidence points not to a culture within News Corps, but within the UK media.

Well, there at least, we can agree. The British media is clearly insane as a rule.

Though it would seem that this particular instance is out of the ordinary even by their standards.

Forum List

Back