Polygamist Marriages becoming common in the Western Nations

glockmail wrote:
Polygamy and gay marriage are both bad for society and therefore both should be banned.

This is a point that is, in my opinion, easier to argue, then SouthPaw's, regardless of which side you agree with.

What you, Glockmail, would have to prove is that you are right...and that gay marriage and polygamy are somehow bad for society and therefore should not be granted any state or federal benefits that might encourage people to enter into such relationships. Whether or not I agree with you - I think that it is easier in many ways to argue for the status quo than for change.

What Southpaw has to prove or explain is how a legal contract that has nothing at all to do with love, marriage, religion, children, etc. can be granted to two people who don't have to care about eachother at all...but can continue to be denied to others for reasons such as being related, or being a group of 3 instead of two.

I think that Southpaw's argument is more difficult to prove - regardless of which side of the debate I personally agree with.

What you, Glockmail, would have to prove is that you are right...and that gay marriage and polygamy are somehow bad for society and therefore should not be granted any state or federal benefits that might encourage people to enter into such relationships. Whether or not I agree with you - I think that it is easier in many ways to argue for the status quo than for change.
1. Gay marriage would require society to teach kids that gay relationships are moral normal and healthy, all of which they ain't. Then we'd have to let gays adopt kids and kids are best raised in homes with a mother and father.
2. Polygamy is bad for the same reasons. Also, more men would have multiple wives than women with multiple husbands, reducing the pool of available women, thus more men would remain single, and since women have a positive, stabilizing effect on men, there would be more unstable men.

Alliebaba Wrote:

And perhaps, if polygamy were legal, and the women did not need to worry about losing her children, being arrested, or her children being put into protective services as was done recently...they would be more willing to seek help, rather than remain in abusive relationships.

Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of abused women in "normal" heterosexual marriages who are beaten, terrified to leave their husbands, fearful of having their children taken from them, etc. So it isn't necessarily the type of marriage that brings these problems...but rather the behavior and mental issues of the spouses....at least women in "normal" marriages can receive police help without fearing legal prosecution.

Polygamy is legal in Somalia, where women are treated worse than dogs.

Making a bad practice "legal" is not the way to eradicate the abuse that accompanies it.

You are a blatant liar

Oh please. The only people who contest that are the ones who agree with the treatment. It isn't like it's not documented.

Oh, wait. You think the holocaust is a lie, too.

You are a dog. I hit you (figuratively) with my shoe.

1. Gay marriage would require society to teach kids that gay relationships are moral normal and healthy, all of which they ain't.

I don't think it requires any such thing. They merely needs to know that it exists and the participants in a "gay" or "poly" relationship have the same rights as in any other "married" relationship.

Then we'd have to let gays adopt kids and kids are best raised in homes with a mother and father.

Any mother and any father? I'll bet we can go round and round on that contention.

2. Polygamy is bad for the same reasons. Also, more men would have multiple wives than women with multiple husbands, reducing the pool of available women, thus more men would remain single, and since women have a positive, stabilizing effect on men, there would be more unstable men.

Perhaps your contention is true in the religion based polygamist sects. However, as a general rule in poly-triad relationships, I wouldn't say your contention that it is more often FMF relationships as opposed to MFM relationships holds up. I would tend to believe that these relationships are currently more common than the religion based polygamist sects and therefore account for more people in the US. However, unlike the religion based polys, I'm not sure that participants in poli-triads (or moresomes) necessarily want to formalize the relationship with marriage per se.

In any case, it doesn't appear to me that you have met the burden you set out for yourself of the practice being bad for society. It would merely be different for society.

Do you even know any women who are in a polygamist marriage?

I know several. They are happy and raising wonderful children.

I know alot of polygamist women who are happy. As long as the head wife is not a control freak. The sisters are trying to get outside of ego and love unconditionally and remove jealousy from there hearts. they are very nice much nicer then some main stream mormons.....he he

I know alot of polygamist women who are happy. As long as the head wife is not a control freak. The sisters are trying to get outside of ego and love unconditionally and remove jealousy from there hearts. they are very nice much nicer then some main stream mormons.....he he
I have heard there are around 30,000 Mormon polygamist marriages in the US.

But the media finds 1 or 2 that has an abusive head of house and makes it sound like polygamist marriages are a living hell.

I wonder out of 30,000 traditional marriages. How many have a man who is abusive to their wife.

Well I live near the Allred Family, they have a big mansion house with little apartment entrances for all his wives and they have a lot of kids too. The women have high college educations, some work and some stay home and take care of all the children. They come to city council meetings and they are very nice. There is no abuse the kids are very happy, my kid was invited to go play there and they had good moms who did activities and crafts with the children. They are just regular people living a different lifestyle. No Abuse.

Well I live near the Allred Family, they have a big mansion house with little apartment entrances for all his wives and they have a lot of kids too. The women have high college educations, some work and some stay home and take care of all the children. They come to city council meetings and they are very nice. There is no abuse the kids are very happy, my kid was invited to go play there and they had good moms who did activities and crafts with the children. They are just regular people living a different lifestyle. No Abuse.
But to hear the media talk about it.

The women are in a living hell of torture and abuse.

....[1]Any mother and any father? I'll bet we can go round and round on that contention.

[2]Perhaps your contention is true in the religion based polygamist sects. However, as a general rule in poly-triad relationships, I wouldn't say your contention that it is more often FMF relationships as opposed to MFM relationships holds up. I would tend to believe that these relationships are currently more common than the religion based polygamist sects and therefore account for more people in the US. However, unlike the religion based polys, I'm not sure that participants in poli-triads (or moresomes) necessarily want to formalize the relationship with marriage per se.

[3]In any case, it doesn't appear to me that you have met the burden you set out for yourself of the practice being bad for society. It would merely be different for society.

1. You can attempt the unstable normal marriage vs stable gay marriage argument but that's not really valid, is it?
2. Most people in the US have religious marriages, so your argument is invalidated.
3. As Allie pointed out, the burden is not on me, because of the status quo.

Most of us have enough trouble coping with one significant other.

But for those whose self lothing is especially profound, if they choose to have more than one SO at a time?

Hey! be my guest.

Some men are just masochists. And I say, more power to them.

Forum List

Back