Poll shows Americans support taxes on Millionaires

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
celere: Today's polling figures. 81% of Americans support taxes on millionair­es

“Today's polling figures.

81% of Americans support taxes on millionair*es

68% of Americans support eliminatin*g the Bush tax cuts

74% of Americans support cutting oil/gas tax breaks

77% of Americans support bargaining rights for public sectors unions

Of those polled, 36% self-ident*ify as conservati*ve, 24% self-ident*ify as liberal

Polled by: NBC/Wall Street Journal”

Interesting, because there was a poll done a few months ago in November of 2010. Voters across the country evicted thousands of tax and spend democrats at every level of government.........now we are supposed to believe they've changed their minds? Yeah, sure bub.........:lol:

The unofficial polls can say whatever they want (Because they usually do). I have no desire to see anyone have their money taken away from them from the government.

celere: Today's polling figures. 81% of Americans support taxes on millionair*es

Of those polled, 36% self-ident*ify as conservati*ve, 24% self-ident*ify as liberal

Is it a coincidence, or is it a possibility that all of these same posts are manufactured by the same sites? These libs cant think for themselves so therefore they post the same shit over and over again. This shit is comical.
Progressivism is going down dumbasses, you lost the war because you failed on the message.

celere: Today's polling figures. 81% of Americans support taxes on millionair*es

Is it a coincidence, or is it a possibility that all of these same posts are manufactured by the same sites? These libs cant think for themselves so therefore they post the same shit over and over again. This shit is comical.
Progressivism is going down dumbasses, you lost the war because you failed on the message.

"Tax the rich" seems to be all they have. Do what I do, point out their utter stupidity and laugh at them every chance you get. They have nothing, and they know it. Obama rode in to town on a message of "Hope and Change", need we say more?

:lol:

Last edited:

Making $250k is not a millionaire.

Oh, and 68 percent do not support eliminating the Bush tax cuts.

You're high if you believe that.

The Wealth Distribution
In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2007, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 34.6% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 50.5%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 85%, leaving only 15% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). In terms of financial wealth (total net worth minus the value of one's home), the top 1% of households had an even greater share: 42.7%. Table 1 and Figure 1 present further details drawn from the careful work of economist Edward N. Wolff at New York University (2010).

Haha,

An uncited comment on Huffington Post?

I didn't see anything from Google that gave those numbers, but then I did find this from the WSJ.

Soaking the Rich: An American Tradition - WSJ.com

Americans like to tax the rich. As a nation, we rely more on progressive taxes—and less on regressive ones—than any other developed country. We impose no broad-based consumption tax, standing firm against the global popularity of value-added levies. But we make ample use of corporate and individual income taxes—touchstones of progressive politics for more than a century.

Our national penchant for progressive taxation has deep roots in American history. It can be found in the revenue debates of the Civil War, when Union leaders imposed the nation's first income tax to quiet complaints about "a rich man's war and a poor man's fight." Or in the Gilded Age, when Populists built a grass-roots movement for taxes to check monopoly and slow the nation's surging inequality.

Immie

conglomerate Koch Industries Inc. Gee where did I hear that name before?

The current campaign to abolish the estate tax was initiated in the early 1990s by three repeal
pioneers, according to Michael J. Graetz, co-author of Death by a Thousand Cuts, a major book
on the movement. Graetz, in a speech at the American Enterprise Institute, cited estate plannerturned
lobbyist Pat Soldano, estate planner Harold Apolinsky, and Seattle Times publisher Frank
Blethen as the “original movers” of the campaign, which was still viewed as a long shot to
succeed even after the Republicans won control of Congress in 1994.5
In the time since, members of some of the wealthiest families in the United States have helped
finance and coordinate the anti-estate tax campaign. This report identifies 18 such families that
have been involved in the repeal movement. Each has helped finance the lobbying effort for
repeal. Several have also funded groups that have run anti-estate tax ads. All but two of these
families have been reported as having assets in excess of $100 million. The other two families
most likely do, as well.6
Collectively, these super-wealthy families have a net worth of at least $185.5 billion. They
include 23 billionaires, each of whom is listed in the Forbes 400. They stand to save $71.6
billion if their repeal campaign succeeds. [See Figure 2]
These include:
• The owners of the first-and-third largest privately held companies in the United States
(conglomerate Koch Industries Inc. and Mars Inc., maker of M&Ms); 7
• The family that owns more than 40 percent of the stock in the world’s largest retailer,
Wal-Mart;8
• The owner of the company that makes Gallo wine and the Dorrance family, which holds
more than a 40 percent interest in the Campbell Soup Company;9 and
• The wealthiest family in the state of Alabama.
The names of several of the super-wealthy families active in the estate tax fight surfaced during a
brief period in which Soldano disclosed her clients’ names. Others were identified piecemeal, by
scouring press accounts, lobbying disclosure reports and other public records.
These super-wealthy families have tried to keep their role in the estate tax debate quiet. Weak
lobbying disclosure laws and the absence of any disclosure requirements for “grassroots”
lobbying efforts, such as issue-oriented advertising campaigns, virtually ensure that other superwealthy
families active in the repeal campaign are missing from this report.

Wait, I found it.

There is a link at the very bottom of the page and it does link to the poll in question.

The 81% figure can actually be found on page 16 of the poll and it is in regards to a charging a surtax on millionaires.

My apologies, PJ.

Because my eyes are failing in my old age (actually, it is allergy season) and I found it hard to find, I'll help everyone else out. The link to the poll is in the twitter box but it looks like it changes when others add to the twitter. Here's the link I saw it on. http://j.mp/ef6NeJ #wiunion

Immie

Last edited:
Haha,

I didn't see anything from Google that gave those numbers, but then I did find this from the WSJ.

Americans like to tax the rich. As a nation, we rely more on progressive taxes—and less on regressive ones—than any other developed country. We impose no broad-based consumption tax, standing firm against the global popularity of value-added levies. But we make ample use of corporate and individual income taxes—touchstones of progressive politics for more than a century.

Our national penchant for progressive taxation has deep roots in American history. It can be found in the revenue debates of the Civil War, when Union leaders imposed the nation's first income tax to quiet complaints about "a rich man's war and a poor man's fight." Or in the Gilded Age, when Populists built a grass-roots movement for taxes to check monopoly and slow the nation's surging inequality.

Immie
Well said, so I guess poor and middle class republicans look forward to being the lesser in a surging inequality.

Haha,

Immie
Well said, so I guess poor and middle class republicans look forward to being the lesser in a surging inequality.

Actually, I suspect they look forward to being upper class republicans in the future. :eusa_shhh:

But to be quite honest with you, when I think about penalizing the rich for my own problems, I simply find that to be poor sportsmanship. If I wanted to be wealthy then I suppose I could get off my ass and do whatever it takes to get there rather than expecting the government to penalize some poor sap of a millionaire because he did get off his ass and get there.

Immie

Why do poor and middle class republicans fight so hard for the rich?

Why do the wealth envy crowd want to punish achievement in this country. If you level the playing field that way, everyone will be in that same sorry situation. Then who will pay for all the entitlement programs for the "less fortunate"?

Forum List

Back