• Herman Cain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huntsman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michelle Bachmann

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sort of like cutting taxes hasn't fixed shit?

So? If raising taxes doesn't work and cutting taxes doesn't work, what does that tell us?

Maybe the problem is spending habits and not revenue?

Immie

No one is disagreeing that spending needs to be cut. However, when was the last time we actually did raise taxes? You just agreed that cutting taxes doesn't do a thing, maybe it's time to try increasing revenue while decreasing spending.

Welcome aboard! I have been saying that for a long long time.

I happen to take a different look at this than my fellow conservatives. I happen to believe that we need to both raise taxes AND cut spending. Unfortunately, Congress seems to believe that an increase in revenues requires a larger increase in spending. We cannot win with that kind of idiotic thinking.

Immie

Once again, here is the spending problem.

fed-rev-spend-2008-boc-s5-federal-spending-grew-nine-times.gif

Population of the United States 1965 [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]- 194,302,963[/FONT]

Population of the United States 2006 - 299,398,484

A 35% increase in population.

A 35% increase in median income

And a 334% increase in federal spending​

It's fun using only some of the stats that make your argument relevant. What about GDP moving from $3.7 trillion (2005 dollars) to $13 trillion? That is an increase of 352%, more than the increase in federal spending.
You do realize GDP includes government spending?

And???? You would like less government spending so we can reduce GDP?

So? If raising taxes doesn't work and cutting taxes doesn't work, what does that tell us?

Immie

No one is disagreeing that spending needs to be cut. However, when was the last time we actually did raise taxes? You just agreed that cutting taxes doesn't do a thing, maybe it's time to try increasing revenue while decreasing spending.

I happen to take a different look at this than my fellow conservatives. I happen to believe that we need to both raise taxes AND cut spending. Unfortunately, Congress seems to believe that an increase in revenues requires a larger increase in spending. We cannot win with that kind of idiotic thinking.

Immie

Finally, rational thought! I thought it was extinct on this site. I think you will be hard pressed to find many dems who are advocating only tax increases without spending cuts. Doing both really is the most logical solution to getting our situation turned around.

It's fun using only some of the stats that make your argument relevant. What about GDP moving from $3.7 trillion (2005 dollars) to $13 trillion? That is an increase of 352%, more than the increase in federal spending.
You do realize GDP includes government spending?

And???? You would like less government spending so we can reduce GDP?

Government spending should not be included in GDP for a true measure.

You want a BIG GDP have the government spend like mad. It does nothing towards improvement.

Immie

Immie

You, like most Americans realize this

When offered $10 in cuts for every $1 in revenue....ALL Republicans said no

How many fools in this thread will insist tax cuts or increases is the only factor involved in the economy.

Damn the stupidity runs deep.

Link to ANY post that claims that taxes are the only factor. We'll wait.

Damn, the stubbornness runs deep.

I have seen the back and forth on that item alone.

Try opening your eyes.

Link to ONE, just ONE post that says what you claim. Be a man about it and back up what you say or admit you misspoke.

Immie

Smoke and mirror cuts. Rejected soundly as it should have been.

Immie

Nobody said anything about which cuts...the question was rhetorical

Shows the Republicans are not serious about cutting debt

Failed to stick to his guns and behind his principles, yes.

News flash, Obama and Dems never meant to raise taxes... It's all just talk because they all know it won;t fix dick of the problem and that means at some point the only other option will be to cut spending. Keep the fight between "Republicans not wanting any taxes" rather than "Oh, I guess more taxes didn't fix shit...."

Obama cut taxes, but don't let facts get in the way of your thoughts.

When was this?

He claimed he cut taxes but so far he's raised 8 different taxes. Taxes on booze, cigs, fast-food, tanning beds, etc.......

Last edited:
News flash, Obama and Dems never meant to raise taxes... It's all just talk because they all know it won;t fix dick of the problem and that means at some point the only other option will be to cut spending. Keep the fight between "Republicans not wanting any taxes" rather than "Oh, I guess more taxes didn't fix shit...."

How many fools in this thread will insist tax cuts or increases is the only factor involved in the economy.

Damn the stupidity runs deep.

While the debt is having a negative effect, it is only due to making people worry more. Outside of that, it really is a separate issue from the downturn in the economy. The biggest driving force behind the downturn is the fact that the baby boomers are downsizing. They are moving from a spending mode to a savings mode as they enter or prepare to enter retirement. No amount of tax cuts is going to change that. The debt, and more specifically, yearly spending, must be balanced or at least close to balanced so that we stop or reduce the growth of the debt. Doing so requires cuts in spending and some increases in revenue. Since tax cuts have not grown the economy and increased revenue, tax increases are the only option, but they must be pared with spending cuts.

When the Republicans state that tax increases are off the table, they are not being fiscally responsible. When the Dems say we can't find anything to cut, they are doing the same.

Sort of like cutting taxes hasn't fixed shit?

Immie

That is the only way we are going to get close to a balanced budget.

Nobody said anything about which cuts...the question was rhetorical

Shows the Republicans are not serious about cutting debt

Then you left out The revenue that was on the table.

Rhetorical and still dishonest.

Immie

Finally, rational thought! I thought it was extinct on this site. I think you will be hard pressed to find many dems who are advocating only tax increases without spending cuts. Doing both really is the most logical solution to getting our situation turned around.

I'm not going to ask you to do this, but if you are talking about Dems on this site, I would love to see some threads where a few of them agreed that we should cut spending. What I hear is "raise taxes on those rich bastards" and that is all I hear. On the conservative side I hear "lower taxes on the rich and cut spending".

Come to think of it, there may be one or two Dems who have screamed for gutting our defense budget but when you start talking about social programs they go crazy.

I think we need to cut everywhere including the defense budget.

As for lowering taxes on the rich? Well, those tax rates are near historic lows. I don't think bringing up the tax rates will reduce their desire to hire people... geez, could that really get any lower than it is right now? God help us if it can.

Immie

the more money people have the more they invest and spend.when they spend someone has to produce the goods they are buying .companies have to hire people to keep up with the increase in consumer demand...lower corporate taxes helps companies to invest in production and labor.the new workers will be off the government dole and paying income taxes......less taxes more money...more money more spending and investing....more spending and investing more production....more production more workers .....more workers less entitlements and more tax revenue!!!:eusa_eh:

We've already gutted government revenues with tax cuts, and it hasn't accomplished a damn thing other than to line the pockets of the super wealthy. When are you guys going to realize that? How much further do you think we can cut taxes?

Name the cuts. Be specific.

Show us a link or two proving this.

So you need a link explaining the Bush tax cuts and all the tax cuts included in the stimulus bill? Good grief.

When was this?

He claimed he cut taxes but so far he's raised 8 different taxes. Taxes on booze, cigs, fast-food, tanning beds, etc.......

Stimulus Outlines $275 Billion in Tax Cuts, Including Breaks for Business - WSJ.com

The Stimulus Plan: The Tax Cuts - ProPublica

Not much stimulus from tax-cut deal - CSMonitor.com

I'm sorry, I must have misspoken; "Obama doubled taxes on everyone". This one you will probably agree with. :cuckoo:

Immie

One would have to believe those were legitimate offers. Had I been a member of Congress, my suggestion would have been to call their bluff.

CBO: Democrats' debt bill tops GOP's in spending cuts - Washington Times

The Congressional Budget Office said the plan by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid would raise the government’s borrowing limit by $2.7 trillion, and cut $2.2 trillion from future spending, chiefly by limiting the amount of money spent on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Michael Steel said,

“We’re here to change Washington — no more smoke and mirrors, no more ‘phantom cuts,’” Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said. “We promised that we will cut spending more than we increase the debt limit, with no tax hikes, and we will keep that promise.”

If only we could trust them to follow through with that promise.

Immie

So far every "solution" has been to cut taxes for corporations.

and

It's Obama's fault.

Corporations=== Jobs, that's why. America has the second highest corparate tax in the world, in order to be competitive we need to lower the corporate tax, so that they will stay here in this country and hire people here.

So far every "solution" has been to cut taxes for corporations.

and

It's Obama's fault.

Corporations=== Jobs, that's why. America has the second highest corparate tax in the world, in order to be competitive we need to lower the corporate tax, so that they will stay here in this country and hire people here.

I don't think it is the tax rate that makes us so non-competitive. It seems to be more of the incessant regulations that corporations are forced to comply with like environmental, employment and governmental regulations. It also has much to do with the lack of regulations in other countries.

I think if it were only taxes, that much of the cost savings of doing business in a foreign country would be lost due to transporting the goods back to the U.S. so companies would avoid that problem by producing here in the states. However, our regulations become the problem.

I'm not going to argue whether or not those regulations are worth having here because they would have to be done on an individual basis, but I think if it were only taxes there really would not be a problem.

Immie

Forum List

Back