POLL: Kool Aid

Poll: ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

• Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.
I don't think people are saying it's a stereotype for 'poor,' only that we drank it a lot when we were growing up because it was cheap and our families didn't have much money. It was a staple in my family when I was growing up. We were low economic working class people.
I remember one time, long time ago, when I was working in an office. It was Christmas time, and our small office didn't have a Christmas party, but one of the 3 young women I worked with had groceries in her car trunk and had some vodka. But we didn't have a mixer and weren't allowed to go to the store and get some. She had a package of kool-aid in her groceries, and there was sugar in the office kitchen, so we had vodka and cool-aid. Only time I've ever done that, but I've heard from others, in an emergency, they did the same. None of us in the office that day were black.

I don't know about the 'sweet tea,' you all are talking about in this thread. To me, sweet tea is a cup of black tea with milk and sugar, the way the British drink it. I was raised drinking tea that way and still do. I put sugar in it depending if I'm eating something sweet with it. If I'm eating cookies with it, I don't put sugar in the tea--overall, too much sweet.

Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.
I don't think people are saying it's a stereotype for 'poor,' only that we drank it a lot when we were growing up because it was cheap and our families didn't have much money. It was a staple in my family when I was growing up. We were low economic working class people.
I remember one time, long time ago, when I was working in an office. It was Christmas time, and our small office didn't have a Christmas party, but one of the 3 young women I worked with had groceries in her car trunk and had some vodka. But we didn't have a mixer and weren't allowed to go to the store and get some. She had a package of kool-aid in her groceries, and there was sugar in the office kitchen, so we had vodka and cool-aid. Only time I've ever done that, but I've heard from others, in an emergency, they did the same. None of us in the office that day were black.

I don't know about the 'sweet tea,' you all are talking about in this thread. To me, sweet tea is a cup of black tea with milk and sugar, the way the British drink it. I was raised drinking tea that way and still do. I put sugar in it depending if I'm eating something sweet with it. If I'm eating cookies with it, I don't put sugar in the tea--overall, too much sweet.

What they call "sweet tea" in the South is basically... you take normal iced tea, and sweeten it. And sweeten it. And sweeten it some more. When you have it to the point where a hummingbird wouldn't touch it, you start dumping sugar in by the pound, preferably a 55-gallon drum's worth. And then you sweeten it some more.

It's absolutely undrinkable. :puke:

Checking in on the poll.... only 36% have heard of this (or if we discount the "pineapple" votes it spikes all the way up to a lusty 38%).

One more week.

Pop? Pfffffft! It is called soda.

Maybe to you Southern Visigoths but us bumpkins up here in Appalachia call it pop.

I was raised in NY......and California......and Florida.

It is soda.................everywhere that has it right, that is.

Snob. I bet you gasp when you hear jelly instead of All Fruit. :lol:

I've never heard of "all fruit". It must not exist.
It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means it is not general knowledge, and stereotypes are general knowledge.
It's not racial, it's political. A whole shitload of communists drank it and died. Some of the brainwashed fools even murdered their own children before killing themselves.

Maybe to you Southern Visigoths but us bumpkins up here in Appalachia call it pop.

It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it means it is not general knowledge, and stereotypes are general knowledge.
It's not racial, it's political. A whole shitload of communists drank it and died. Some of the brainwashed fools even killed their own children.

Now that one I've heard of. Except it was the Jim Jones gang.

It's not racial, it's political. A whole shitload of communists drank it and died. Some of the brainwashed fools even killed their own children.

The words "gang" and "communist" are not mutually exclusive.

The words "gang" and "communist" are not mutually exclusive.

OK, whatever the fuck that means... :alcoholic:

Poll has run its course. Final results:

1. Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment
    18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

-- The majority have never heard of Kool Aid as a stereotype. Slightly over a third have.

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun
noun: stereotype; plural noun: stereotypes
a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
synonyms: standard/conventional image, received idea, cliché, hackneyed idea, formula
"the stereotype of the rancher"​

35.3% cannot reasonably be called "widely held", ergo premise fails; the assertion that Kool Aid is a black stereotype has failed to prove its case. Thanks everyone for voting.

/eats a pineapple...

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

-- The majority have never heard of Kool Aid as a stereotype. Slightly over a third have.

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun
a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
synonyms: standard/conventional image, received idea, cliché, hackneyed idea, formula

35.3% cannot reasonably be called "widely held", ergo premise fails; the assertion that Kool Aid is a black stereotype has failed to prove its case. Thanks everyone for voting.

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

I thought I knew, but just to be fair ran a poll. And the poll confirms my perception.

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

I thought I knew, but just to be fair ran a poll. And the poll confirms my perception.

I think a wider sampling is required. Don't you?

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

:dunno: -- I let it run for two weeks, well beyond the buzz-window of the story. Votes stopped coming in a while ago. Didn't seem like it was ever a contest.

Besides -- how much wider a sample can we get than the awesomely YUUUUGE spectrum of USMB?

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

:dunno: -- I let it run for two weeks, well beyond the buzz-window of the story. Votes stopped coming in a while ago. Didn't seem like it was ever a contest.

Besides -- how much wider a sample can we get than the awesomely YUUUUGE spectrum of USMB?

If you want to declare that USMB members don't consider it a well known stereotype, that's fine. That's not the same as trying to declare that it isn't a well known stereotype in general.

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. *
    30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Pineapple
    3 vote(s)
    5.9%

ster·e·o·type
ˈsterēəˌtīp/
noun

/eats a pineapple...

Bull.

You know better.

If you want to declare that USMB members don't consider it a well known stereotype, that's fine. That's not the same as trying to declare that it isn't a well known stereotype in general.

Okaaaay..... why would USMB's population return different results from the general pop?

Bull.

You know better.

Okaaaay..... why would USMB's population return different results from the general pop?

That's what I meant when I said you know better. Maybe you don't.

yes its definitely been used as a racial stereotype

its even done in some classic hood movies

memory's not 100% on this but it had a big mention in house party, if thats the title im thinking, that original kid n play movie

Never knew that Kool Aid was a slur.

Two things have to happen for a word to be a slur. Firstly, it has to be spoken with malice. Secondly, the target of the word needs to be insecure about their race, religion, body type, or whatever.

You can make dumb blonde jokes all day long...it just doesn't cut me. I like being blonde. Hey, thanks for noticing my hair.
You can call me a potato eater cuz that's what my ancestors survived on. It doesn't offend me. Cracker doesnt offend me. Saying I can't jump doesn't make me cringe. Whitey, Caspar, whatever, it's okay because I'm secure in my whiteness.

There needs to be both malice and insecurity for a slur to cut someone.

Forum List

Back