Poll: Kerry Needs to Warm Up to Win Votes

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
John Kerry: Al Gore Jr.?

------------------------
Poll: Kerry Needs to Warm Up to Win Votes
By LEIGH STROPE, AP Labor Writer

WASHINGTON - Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) "doesn't warm anybody up," while President Bush (news - web sites) is seen as likable and strong, according to focus groups of undecided union voters conducted for the AFL-CIO.

Organized labor must help Kerry create an emotional bond if fence-sitting members are to vote for him in November, according to the results. The focus groups were conducted last month in St. Louis and Philadelphia by Lake Snell Perry & Associates, a Democratic firm.

Though very early in the race, the focus groups highlight the work facing organized labor as it tries to energize and mobilize voters for Kerry.

Results show that Kerry's reputation for aloofness remains a hurdle for the presumptive Democratic nominee — even among his party's core constituencies. And despite the acidity labor leaders direct toward Bush and his policies, the president still appeals to a segment of union members, namely the Reagan Democrats.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&e=1&u=/ap/20040414/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_likability

I'm sorry, but is anyone watching Kerry's speech? He was just going on about how Bush, last night, refused to give an alternative exit plan for Iraq. Alternative to WHAT? To WHOSE?

Why would President Bush come out against his OWN plan?

ROTFLMFAO

I guess Kerry is so used to flip-flopping, he doesn't understand that not changing your position every other day is a sign of someone with principled beliefs, firm resolve, and committing to one single position.

I was going to watch Kerry's whole speech, but I know that if I take a nap now, I'll never get to sleep, later tonight.

Man, I am sure the Democrats are grabbing their fu*king heads and screaming, "WHY! Oh, WHY did Dean have to implode so quickly? Don't we have ONE person who isn't either boring or mentally unstable....or BOTH?"

This, on top of the news that the liberal radio network bounced a check & might be getting yanked from Chicago & Los Angeles.

Those poor rat bastards!

BOUNCED A CHECK! LMFAO, wait I need to spell it out on this one, LAUGH MY FUCKING ASS OFF! How does a radio network bounce checks? These guys are in a world of shit, they haven't had a semi smart or principled front man since Kennedy. I think that although it might not be noticeable for a decade or so down the road Clinton screwed up the nest for Democrats for many years to come.

"Organized labor must help Kerry create an emotional bond if fence-sitting members are to vote for him in November, according to the results. "

The pilot's union representing the workforce for my company supports kerry. The pilots know that a portion of their dues is being sent to support left wing causes. But the overwhelming majority of the union membership is extremely conservative and wouldn't vote for kerry on a bet.

Wonder if that may be the case in many unions. Corrupt leadership seeking to preserve their power and membership be damned.

Originally posted by Merlin1047
"Organized labor must help Kerry create an emotional bond if fence-sitting members are to vote for him in November, according to the results. "

The pilot's union representing the workforce for my company supports kerry. The pilots know that a portion of their dues is being sent to support left wing causes. But the overwhelming majority of the union membership is extremely conservative and wouldn't vote for kerry on a bet.

Wonder if that may be the case in many unions. Corrupt leadership seeking to preserve their power and membership be damned.

Unfortunately thats the way it is in many unions. Many members do not support the democratic party but the management is. Therefore their dues are sent to these parties despite a sometimes overwhelming majority that support the opposing candidates. What also gets me is when yuo hear "Firefighters for KErry" yet every firefighter quoted has said that they support the President. The union feels that they can use the union name to show that supposedly ALL their members support someone.

Im currently applying for a union job and i know my political beliefs are going to have to be held in check for me to retain this job. Its good money and job security, but alot of Bullshit.

Forum List

Back