POLL: Do you ask yourself these questions?

Do you ask yourself these questions when consuming media you like?

• I'm a Republican/Conservative - YES

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm a Republican/Conservative - NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Democrat/Liberal - YES

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm a Democrat/Liberal - NO

• I'm an Independent - YES

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I'm an Independent - NO

• Total voters

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
When you're watching, reading or listening to news media that you prefer (we'll leave the "type" of media open here from Fox & CBS to Hannity & Maddow), do you find yourself wondering any of the following...

1. What facts & details are they purposely leaving out?
2. What facts & details are they distorting?
3. What facts & details are they just making up?

I sure do. And if so, does that bother you?

Question everything ... Recognize what is news and what is commentary.
One's political preference does not determine truth.

Pineapple

I don't consciously have a checklist of things running through my head while trying to pay attention to what's being said/presented. By keeping aware of how various media slant, or not, issues things seem to sort themselves out and you can figure out who's carrying whose water and whatnot and agree or disagree with whomever.

It's the rocket science part of it that's tough.

Nope.
I watch Fox because they report unbiased facts.

I would say Fox is more truthful than the rest, but even their reporting is designed to manipulate opinion.

ALL MEDIA is designed to manipulate opinion. It's the purpose of it's existence in modern times. They're not going to expose and challenge political whores they're trying to empower.

When you're watching, reading or listening to news media that you prefer (we'll leave the "type" of media open here from Fox & CBS to Hannity & Maddow), do you find yourself wondering any of the following...

Yep. But, I don' listen to or watch opinion shows. I spend quite a bit of time on the road and I had to stop listening to NPR. I don't need someone from NPR or anyone else to help me make sense of the news. Bezo has made the point that news has to be paid for to raise the standards; however, he neglects that WaPo is no longer considered a reliable source. Why the hell would anyone pay for unreliable crap? He burned that bridge and he can figure out how to rebuild it.

Human interest stories are also something to watch out for as they usually are tailored to justify and/or influence foreign/domestic policy and this is particularly true when dealing with NGOs focusing on human rights in the world. Over time I have lost all respect for these folks. When you look at media conglomerates in general then you can see what interests are being promoted or hidden. It's been like that for years.

Anger's Allure: Are You Addicted to Anger?

^^^ People are addicted to BS. When Sally Boynton Brown said (paraphrasing) that poor people don't care about issues and are emotionally driven, she neglected that whole chicken vs egg argument.

Put these folks on ignore and and it cuts down on the noise factor. I am not kidding when I say things like I have CNN on ignore. If it isn't a local Fox news station reporting on local news, then I am not interested. Tucker/Maddow etc. are on ignore. MotherJones is on ignore. Salon is on ignore. The Nation is on ignore.

If you really want the straight dope on a topic...read a source you like/trust...read a source you dont and read a foreign source which has original content.
I find that Haaretz, JPost and Al Aribiya are good foreign sources. Israeli-English sources are really good. Western media really is complete garbage IMO.

I'm none of those options you listed, but the answer to your questions, for me is not yes but fuck yes...

Does it bother me? I suppose it should, and I imagine that n the beginning it did, but sadly it is today's norm... which is probably why I do not rely on just one source for news...

I read Marshall McCluhan "The Media is the Message" in college. Never looked at TV, radio, print "journalism" the same since. All your questions were refined and discussed back then. It's just gotten much more BLATANT and unashamed.

Trump may be onto to something calling for some of the wayward media to register as political lobbyists. MAYBE if they did -- it would be "truth in labeling" for what folks are consuming. Unfortunately you can't have the Political Leadership making those decisions when THEIR tribal wars is the cause for the death of journalism..

Yes Mac1958
I listen to and support Pacifica Radio and Democracy Now which is the real left that is left out of
mainstream media, and listen to independent Conservative moderates who are left out of the rabid rightwing media too.

They haven't figured out yet to listen to each other to get the whole truth in stereo and full surround sound!

What one bias leaves out or distorts for political hate bait,
the other side checks and corrects. So of course, if we put the two
together, all distortions would be corrected and only where the two
agree would that be established as common truth without spin.

the day the two forces unite, to clean up media from any more politicized garbage,
we'd change the market and make it where NO party can pay for propaganda to
spin the records their way. They'd all be held to accurate standards for the public benefit.
then the people would be in charge, not the party corporate machines that pay for
whatever they want to put out to sway votes this way or that way.

We have to put ALL the people before party interests, if we are going to end
this trend of selling political ads and "infomercials" as news when it's not.

This is actually great for USMB and other message boards because it's the ONLY place where the 2 sides LEARN to deal with the TOTAL PICTURE of the news... If you're consuming crap propaganda, this is the best option left to DISCOVER how badly you're being punked by the death of journalism in this country.. I can't fathom people who parrot their "trusted sources" day after day only to get PUMMELED by folks "filling in their gaps in knowledge.

I'm sure I'll get quite a few "funnies" from the tribal warriors for saying that, but I'm certain it's only because I hit a nerve.. :deal:

Lately, the media resembles a DJ goof on the mix board where there is Austrian Polka music coming out on stage right and some annoying New Age "flute and bongo" music coming out the stage left speakers.

Flacaltenn.

lmao.

Mindful it's people who can see the ups and downs of both sides
like flacaltenn can, and deals with day in and out,
who are the key to changing the whole paradigm of left vs right.

It's a gift we can make this entertaining, which is otherwise burdensome work.

The real punchline is who will get the last laugh!
in this tragic comedy of human errors colliding, that would otherwise make us cry...

Flacaltenn.

lmao.

Mindful it's people who can see the ups and downs of both sides
like flacaltenn can, and deals with day in and out,
who are the key to changing the whole paradigm of left vs right.

It's a gift we can make this entertaining, which is otherwise burdensome work.

The real punchline is who will get the last laugh!
in this tragic comedy of human errors colliding, that would otherwise make us cry...

Not many like him around.

I can't believe how bitter and partisan American politics have become.

Yes Mac1958
I listen to and support Pacifica Radio and Democracy Now which is the real left that is left out of
mainstream media, and listen to independent Conservative moderates who are left out of the rabid rightwing media too.

They haven't figured out yet to listen to each other to get the whole truth in stereo and full surround sound!

the day the two forces unite, to clean up media from any more politicized garbage,
spin the records their way. They'd all be held to accurate standards for the public benefit.
then the people would be in charge, not the party corporate machines that pay for

Only it's not really "corporate machines" that are DRIVING the bus. It's because the NY Times is owned by a Mexican billionaire (actually he saved them from bankruptcy and just has the largest slice) or Jeff Bezos who's more than rich enough to kill the WashPo as a "political contribution". Or CNN that lowers itself to MANAGING propaganda management for dictatorships. Or Fox -- who is scoping out the lucrative "opposition" ground to this onslaught.

More and more, these "corporate machines" are in the war for ignoble purposes and they are taking casualties. Like when they try to side on a political issues and end up LOSING 1/2 of their customer good will. They never USED to go to war with 1/2 of their clientele. But now, we've escalated the battles apparently.. NO corporation wins battles isolating 1/2 of the business.

With the media dishonesty and polarization, you CANNOT be the voter in a representative Republic by being loyal to one set of sources. Even smaller more alternative sources should be listened to. That's why I HATE people who simply REJECT links and sources without checking the accuracy or completeness of reporting. Don't CARE what tthe source is. Address the Bull SHit..

Emily -- I used to be informed and entertained by KPFA when I was in the Bay Area. Was my source for GLOBAL news and conflict. But those jerks were always EATING each other for CONTROL of this wimpy operation. They would have on-air coups nearly every year and hostile takeovers of the microphones. It was quite dramatic. Like "big brother" house or some weird media reality show.. That's what Marxists do I guess when they get control of a "community asset".. :19:

Yes Mac1958

Only it's not really "corporate machines" that are DRIVING the bus. It's because the NY Times is owned by a Mexican billionaire (actually he saved them from bankruptcy and just has the largest slice) or Jeff Bezos who's more than rich enough to kill the WashPo as a "political contribution". Or CNN that lowers itself to MANAGING propaganda management for dictatorships. Or Fox -- who is scoping out the lucrative "opposition" ground to this onslaught.

More and more, these "corporate machines" are in the war for ignoble purposes and they are taking casualties. Like when they try to side on a political issues and end up LOSING 1/2 of their customer good will. They never USED to go to war with 1/2 of their clientele. But now, we've escalated the battles apparently..

With the media dishonesty and polarization, you CANNOT be the voter in a representative Republic by being loyal to one set of sources. Even smaller more alternative sources should be listened to. That's why I HATE people who simply REJECT links and sources without checking the accuracy or completeness of reporting. Don't CARE what tthe source is. Address the Bull SHit..

Emily -- I used to be informed and entertained by KPFA when I was in the Bay Area. Was my source for GLOBAL news and conflict. But those jerks were always EATING each other for CONTROL of this wimpy operation. They would have on-air coups nearly every year and hostile takeovers of the microphones. It was quite dramatic. Like "big brother" house or some weird media reality show.. That's what Marxists do I guess when they get control of a "community asset".. :19:

Yes flacaltenn sadly because of mismanagement and bankruptcy rulings
Pacifica is being ordered to sell off their NY and Berkeley stations to settle with creditors
who set them up on purpose, to bankrupt the station so they could seize this overvalued
assets and sell them to commercial markets so they can profit off the losses.

I wrote out a plan to unite all independents and liberals around the Pacifica stations
and use each one to organize plans and resources for self governing solutions to each issue

See www.10million.net

WBAI in NY would be for women's issues of restitution for rape and trafficking
and organizing a whole business network to microfinance recovery and businesses run by and benefiting women
never made whole after rape because the justice system doesn't provide for that process of justice

WPFW in DC would be for Veteran led reforms and separating funding by party
and getting social garbage out of federal govt, giving taxpayers a choice which programs to fund as their
party structures the terms of membership and benefits b their own platforms

KPFA in Berkeley Oakland would take charge of environmental corrections, jobs education and reform
to rebuild the Ca economy on the value of this work to restore the land and natural wilderness and wildlife
including restitution to Native Americans as well as taxpayers rooked for corporate welfare bailouts and profits

KPKA inLA would be the hub for organizing restitution for immigrants and workers setting up
locallly owned campus jobs and housing for sustainable development along the border

and KPFT in Houston would lead the prison reform necessary to convert to a medical model for
proper diagnosis and treatment, rehab and recovery or detention for criminal illness so that
resources are reinvested in health care and education to provide preventative services
instead of wasting billions on crime and addiction that doesn't cure the causes.

2 million per station would launch a 10 million dollar national plan.
And the tradeoff would be if liberal Democrats agree to keep their social programs
out of federal govt, then the conservatives and Republicans would support free market
business plans, including loans and mentorship to help independents set up their
own programs to manage themselves outside of govt.

this would create jobs for
veterans
inmates
immigrants
dreamers
workers
and even party leaders, from Clinton to Johnson, Sanders and Stein, running for office who can prove
their leadership and solutions can work before expecting to get hired.

Why not challenge each party to set up their own networks and even city states
along the border in conjunction with Mexico that has 12-20 million nationals
living and working in the US who need cities to claim legal residency on their side of the border:
www.earnedamnesty.org

If students want to get involved, we can have media contests
to raise money and teach student teams with mentors how
to build schools in place of sweatshops and trafficking:
www.rightsfortheworkers.org

the media can be used as a tool to organize people and resources by party
to work in teams instead of fighting each other for dominance and power.

why not treat all parties as their own political religions and help them
to build their own programs and schools modeled after the Catholic church?

better to build schools and teaching hospitals than prisons.
better to pay for health care where it creates jobs providing services
instead of having to pay more for war where there is poverty and oppression.

this can be done by free market as all the successful models I have seen
are voluntarily run and funded, from Habitat to Humanity to Pace Universal
www.paceuniversal.com and Doctors without borders which works
more cost-effectively than the VA bogged down in govt bureaucracy.

When we agree to separate our taxes by party and set up our own
programs, the resources can go directly into solutions,not fighting in the media over problems.

The PBS News Hour covers all angles, so this is not an issue for those of us who listen to it.

And lately I have found that Fox has been doing a pretty good job too. So they are trying to fix their bad reputation.

Forum List

Back