Politics and the rights of terrorists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MaggieMae, May 18, 2010.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    The one right terrorists can count on
    Under current law, people on the FBI’s terrorist watch list can walk into a gun store and buy an AK-47, said Gail Collins in The New York Times.

posted on May 13, 2010, at 1:45 PM
    Gail Collins
    The New York Times

Should an Islamic extremist be allowed to buy weapons? asked Gail Collins. It may sound like a ridiculous question, but under current law, people on the FBI’s terrorist watch list can indeed walk into a gun store and buy an AK-47. Last week, a Senate committee held a hearing on a proposal to stop gun sales to people on the watch list, the same way the government now bans the sale of guns to convicted felons. But Republicans in thrall to the National Rifle Association’s reflexive opposition to any limits on gun sales immediately rejected the proposal, arguing that even suspected terrorists should enjoy their God-given right to own firearms.

Over the past six years, 1,119 people on the watch list have bought weapons, and some of them were very bad characters. Yet the same Republicans who insist that it’s wrong to give a Miranda warning to a suspected terrorist, or let him talk to a lawyer, think it would be oppressive to stop him from stocking up on weapons. Indeed, “there seems to be a strong sentiment in Congress that the only constitutional right suspected terrorists have is the right to bear arms.”

The one right terrorists can count on - The Week

Unfuckingincredible...

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,250
    Hey....we have to contend with the NRAs slippery slope. If you can deny guns to terrorists the next thing you will do is deny guns to Ma and Pa America.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Where's all the Second Amendment people defending this action by Republicans?

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807

I had to chuckle over the "God given right" passage.

People are innocent until proven guilty.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I do feel that anyone charged with a violent crime should not be able to purchase guns until the charge is resolved. But upon being cleared their gun buying "right" should be immediately restored without any action required by the accused.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    That's rather hilarious.

Happily for us, all terrorists need is a few box cutter and tickets to ride and they can change the world as we know it.

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I hate to say this because it is a scary thought but I happen to think that a person who has not been convicted of a crime should have all his or her constitutional rights protected. Just because someone is on the FBI's watch list does not mean they are terrorists or even extremists.

These people are innocent until proven guilty or supposed to be anyway.

Lord help us all when the government starts removing our rights because it thinks we might commit a crime in the future.

Oh and by the way, I do not consider myself to be a devout proponent of the second amendment. I believe we all have the right to weapons, but I am not against gun control.

Immie

8. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    What is the criteria to be placed on the list, and how easily could they change the criteria?? The NRA is probably especially concerned after Napalitano's comments about right-wing extremist groups posing a threat.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    The point is they are not allowed to fly, but are allowed to buy guns. There's something wrong with that picture.

10. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Shouldn't be able to buy it from stores, but they most certainly can get it on the streets.