Political Quote of The Day

QUENTIN

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Thought this might be a good idea for a long-running thread.

Basically you can quote a policitician (including world leaders) or simply somebody speaking of politics in general. Quotes you agree or disagree with, just anything you find interesting and think others would benefit from reading.

Keep it to one per day for each individual. Make sure to credit the person who said it as well.

I'll start things off:

"The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people...This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Madeline Albright said:
Armageddon is not a foreign policy.

One of my favorites, though I wonder how applicable it is when it comes to stateless terror organizations. It reflects the fact that at the end of the day, everyone wants to know that they'll still be alive tomorrow morning.

"When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul

Basically you can quote a policitician (including world leaders) or simply somebody speaking of politics in general. Quotes you agree or disagree with, just anything you find interesting and think others would benefit from reading.

Keep it to one per day for each individual. Make sure to credit the person who said it as well.

I'll start things off:

"The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people...This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Oh, I thought you meant quotes that are current and worth reading.

I'll start things off:

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Nope. Its easier to quote a man who was at the helm with the only war (police action) half way around the world and for the benefit of another country.

Wonder if DDE would say the same thing now; you know, with an enitre group of people hell bent on killing us. My guess, is no.

I'll start things off:

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Nope. Its easier to quote a man who was at the helm with the only war (police action) half way around the world and for the benefit of another country.

Wonder if DDE would say the same thing now; you know, with an enitre group of people hell bent on killing us. My guess, is no.

Different situation. Eisenhower was very concerned about the rise of the industrial-military complex, and with good reason. The arms race with Russia helped bankrupt and ruin one of the two powers involved and nearly did the same to the other.

I think that if Eisenhower were around today, he probably still wouldn't favor expensive bombers and naval vessels. Instead he'd be interested in drones and special forces which are very effective against insurgents.

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

The best argument against a Democracy is 5 minutes with the average voter.

Yes, Madam, I am drunk. And you are ugly - but tomorrow morning I'll be sober - and you'll still be ugly

The last one is paraphrased, but all three are from Winston Churchill.

Another good Churchill quote:

"We are not a young people with an innocent record and a scanty inheritance. we have engrossed to ourselves... an altogether disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less reasonable to others than to us.”
-Winston Churchill

Last edited:
"In many cases government is not the solution to our problems. In many cases government IS the problem." -Ronald Reagan.

I'll start things off:

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." by the philosopher George Santayana.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said THIS about Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat…

Why would you hand the keys to the car back to the same guys whose policies drove the economy into the ditch and then walked away from the scene of the accident? For the Republicans to say vote for us and bring back the guys who got us into this mess in the first place, I don’t think it’s a winner.

It's wonderful that we have so many religious people in our party, ... They need to leave their theologies in their churches -- Barry Goldwater

My favorite political quote is not by someone famous but to someone famous and pretty much sums up the way politicians and those that surround them think...

"Today is a great day to bury bad news" Jo Moore, Press Assistant, to UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, September 11, 2001.

My favorite Obama quotes...

"I've now been in 57 states — I think one left to go." —at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon, May 9, 2008

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

Frederic Bastiat:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Rahm Emanuel:

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."

My favorite Obama quotes...

"I've now been in 57 states — I think one left to go." —at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon, May 9, 2008

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

Nice, Obamaisms, since Bushisms were about the only good thing about President Obamas predecessor I'm glad to see they haven't disappeared from the landscape entirely.

Forum List

Back