Political Quote of The Day

"Massachusetts goes Republican, Healthcare Reform dies, the Supreme Court protects the First Amendment and Air America goes bankrupt...this is the best week I've had since Spring Break in Medical School and I don't even remember that."

- Charles Krauthammer 1.22.10

A billion here, a billion there; pretty soon your talking real money. The late Sen. Everritt Dirkson

"There can be no truly moral choice unless that choice is made in freedom; similarly, there can be no really firmly grounded and consistent defense of freedom unless that defense is rooted in moral principle. In concentrating on the ends of choice, the conservative, by neglecting the conditions of choice, loses that very morality of conduct with which he is so concerned. And the libertarian, by concentrating only on the means, or conditions, of choice and ignoring the ends, throws away an essential moral defense of his own position." -- Murray N. Rothbard, Conservatism and Freedom: A Libertarian Comment

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money. "
--George Carlin

"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution. I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government; I mean an additional article taking from the Federal Government the power of borrowing. "- Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1798.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Ronald Regan

How about a Sunday two-fer:

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.", Mao

"Bang, Bang, Bang," Mickey Spillane

Journalist: "M. Ben M'Hidi, don't you think it's a bit cowardly to use women's baskets and handbags to carry explosive devices that kill so many innocent people? "
Ben M'Hidi: "And doesn't it seem to you even more cowardly to drop napalm bombs on defenseless villages, so that there are a thousand times more innocent victims? Of course, if we had your airplanes it would be a lot easier for us. Give us your bombers, and you can have our baskets."

-- The Battle of Algiers

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country ... corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war."
-- Abraham Lincoln, letter to Col. William F. Elkins, Nov 21, 1864. Reference: The Lincoln Encyclopedia, Archer H. Shaw (Macmillan, 1950, NY). (3)

I am almost loathe to post this since I abhor Lincoln for the state-ordered genocide of my ancestors, but it is strangely prophetic, don't you think?

“The fact that others dislike any one being superior to themselves ensures that whenever this happens, these men are destroyed.”
Francesco Guicciardini, Dialogue on the Government of Florence

Two today in honor of America's noblest historian's passing.

The truth is so often the total reverse of what has been told us by our culture that we cannot turn our heads far enough around to see it.

I suggest that if you know history, then you might not be so easily fooled by the government when it tells you you must go to war for this or that reason -that history is a protective armor against being misled.”

-- Howard Zinn

RIP, a great mind and great conscience. You will be missed.

thought this might be a good idea for a long-running thread.

Basically you can quote a policitician (including world leaders) or simply somebody speaking of politics in general. Quotes you agree or disagree with, just anything you find interesting and think others would benefit from reading.

Keep it to one per day for each individual. Make sure to credit the person who said it as well.

I'll start things off:

"the cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: A modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people...this is not a way of life at all, in any true sense."
-- dwight d. Eisenhower

+1

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
-Thomas Jefferson

That's weak try this one

Thomas Jefferson said:
..what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

From Revolution to Reconstruction: Presidents: Thomas Jefferson: Letters: THE NEW CONSTITUTION

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering

Damn Straight.

Forum List

Back