Political Cartoonist Paul Conrad Is Dead

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Paul Conrad is dead at age 86 of natural causes. Known simply as "Conrad" on the thousands of political cartoons he authored over the years, Paul Conrad was a giant in his field. Rather than try to write about this great man, I refer you to the extremely well written tribute to him in this morning's Los Angeles Times:

Paul Conrad dies: Former L.A. Times political cartoonist Conrad dies - latimes.com

Some excerpts from the article . . .

With an unyielding liberal stance, rendered in savage black and white, Conrad both thrilled and infuriated readers for more than 50 years.

And this:

Mayors, governors and presidents cringed at the prospect of being on the business end of Conrad's searing pen.

Noting that Conrad's style inspired other cartoonists to speak truth to power, the writer tells us:

The cartoonist, loud and often profane in person, viewed himself as a champion of of the common man and relished combat with those he saw as protectors of the rich and privileged.

Based in Los Angeles. although nationally syndicated, it was only natural that his two most favorite victims were Nixon and Reagan. Both were easy to draw but, more importantly, their political exploits offered even easier targets for Conrad's pen. One of Conrad's most prized achievements was making Nixon's Enemies List.
Former Times Publisher Otis Chandler became accustomed to his breakfast being interrupted by either Reagan or wife Nancy, furious that the then-governor had been depicted again as dim-witted, mean spirited or out of touch."

I personally read his work every morning in the L.A. Times for decades. When he retired, I was angry. At his passing, I am sad. He was a great man.

Do you have some images to share, George? I can't say I remember him...but I might know his stuff.

I am sorry for your loss.

Oh, you know his work - believe me. I have trouble getting images from the Web onto posts here. If you will give me some hints, I will be happy to provide examples of lots of his cartoons.

Hey! I did it!

Contoon07.jpg

Forum List

Back