Police Training Sucks

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011

If you want to cut hair and paint fingernails, you need 2,000 hours more training than a cop.

police-training-hours.jpg

Is a bad haircut more dangerous than giving a gun and a badge to a seriously under-trained high school graduate? I don't think so!

BLAM!BLAM!BLAM! HALT, POLICE!
police-killings.jpg
[

We definitely need more cops:

police-population.jpg
[

But just as importantly, maybe even more importantly, we need a lot more training for our cops:

police-training-by-country.jpg

71 Commands in 13 Minutes: Officers Gave Tyre Nichols Impossible Orders​

The footage begins with a police officer driving up to the intersection where Mr. Nichols’s car had been boxed in by two unmarked police vehicles.

The officer jumps out with his firearm drawn and joins a pair of officers rushing toward the front seat.

One officer pulls Mr. Nichols out of his car, and all three officers immediately start screaming “On the ground!”

These are the first orders in the bombardment of confusing commands that confound Mr. Nichols and prompt a cascade of retribution.

Mr. Nichols points out that he is sitting on the ground, as the officers instructed him to do.

But multiple officers shout the same command over and over with intensifying frustration and physical threats.

“Get on the ground!” one orders. “I’m gonna tase your ass.”

It eventually becomes evident that the officers would like Mr. Nichols not only on the ground but also lying down.

When Mr. Nichols repositions himself, it appears to further antagonize the officers. He tries to convey that he poses no threat.

“You guys are really doing a lot right now,” he says. “I’m just trying to go home.”

With officers pinning down his arms, pressing a taser against his leg and barking intensifying verbal threats, Mr. Nichols explodes: “I am on the ground!”

Finally, one of the officers yells more specific instructions: “On your stomach.”

Three seconds later, one of the officers shoots pepper spray into Mr. Nichols’s face.

[snip]

Then a third officer runs up with a can of pepper spray.

“You’re about to get sprayed good,” he says. The others start punching Mr. Nichols’s face.

Mr. Nichols responds by pulling his hands back to protect himself. The punching intensifies, and the pepper spray is fired.

Wiping the pepper spray from his eyes, Mr. Nichols tries assuring them that he is going to comply.

“OK,” he says. “All right. All right.”

But just as one of the officers gets hold of him, a new officer arrives and also demands that Mr. Nichols give him his hands. Again, Mr. Nichols is unable to follow the conflicting directions. He flails about, which only multiplies the police officers’ commands and the physical punishment they inflict. He is doused with pepper spray for a third time.

Two officers stand above Mr. Nichols, who is lying on his side and rubbing his eyes after being pepper-sprayed three times. An officer kicks Mr. Nichols in the face. Mr. Nichols appears to be barely conscious or coherent, but officers treat him as if he is resisting orders.

“Lay flat, goddamn it,” one officer commands.

Mr. Nichols moans and writhes on the ground. By this point, he has been tased, kicked in the head twice and punched and pepper-sprayed repeatedly.

“Lay flat,” another officer shouts.

Mr. Nichols is lying limp as an officer, without any apparent difficulty, snaps a pair of handcuffs to one of his wrists.

Officers continue to issue commands while simultaneously constraining, controlling and beating Mr. Nichols in ways that render it physically impossible for him to follow those commands.

One officer uses Mr. Nichols’s handcuffed arm to pull his body from the ground and into a kneeling position. Then another officer strikes him with a baton three times, yelling “Give us your hands!”

Surrounded by four officers, he tries to move away from the baton.

“Give me your fucking hands!” one officer shouts.

But Mr. Nichols — with one officer pinning his arms behind his back, another gripping his handcuffed wrist and a third punching his face — cannot comply.

Mr. Nichols doubles over and calls out for his mother. The blows continue.

There should have been ONE officer giving commands in the situation with Tyre Nichols.

Being a police officer isn't that difficult to master at all. How long do you think it takes to learn how to use a radar gun, handcuff criminals or beat them with the baton? I appreciate the police, but their principal job is being badass, and that's just something that can't be taught.

Being a police officer isn't that difficult to master at all. How long do you think it takes to learn how to use a radar gun, handcuff criminals or beat them with the baton? I appreciate the police, but their principal job is being badass, and that's just something that can't be taught.
Actually, it isn't that simple. Your Neanderthal attitude only confirms the exact nature of the problem we have with policing.

Perpetual poor conduct over and over again by the same people is what “sucks”. Change that and police public relations training is unnecessary

We have more than enough former schoolyard bullies seeking automatic respect and obedience.

I won't disagree. One of my friends became a cop, and it seemed too fast for how reckless I knew him to be.
Most cops are "very fine people". :D

However, as the command duty officer, I was involved with the military police frequently. On one occasion we had a hostage situation, and one of the cops got himself worked up into such a frenzy I made him stay in the car.

Cops are placed under a great deal of stress every single day. It is not an easy job. They are spit on, cursed at, punched, stabbed, shot. Every one of these is a possibility on every call.

A great deal of training is necessary to better prepare them for any situation.

And too often, our police are called out for what are medical emergencies. I call 9-1-1 one time for a man who was having a psychotic break and asked for an ambulance. They sent cops instead, and the cops blew the guy off. Their exact words were that they knew a guy who injected himself with his own piss, and this guy was not as bad.

He later ended up attacking a teenager. THEN they sent an ambulance for the kid.:mad-61:

And they arrested the mentally ill guy.

Last edited:
All fine and dandy but this what you get when you create a "defund the police" mentality.
We want to defund the police, take away powers, use the justice system for political reasons... but oh... at the same time cops should be better.
Police stations are desperately short staffed. They can't recruit anyone.
So they have dropped many requirements to qualify. As well as they are reluctant to fire bad cops because they can't replace them.

Yeah, we need social workers not police officers, huh? Any volunteers to go out on a domestic disturbance call?

Policing in a city is a very dangerous job. I don't blame cops for their actions, I blame criminals for not following commands.

Police training does not stop once they leave the academy.....There is constant required training and recertification.

Thing is cops are about like correctional officers, nobody wants to spend more on them than they have to and both "sides" are guilty of it.

71 Commands in 13 Minutes: Officers Gave Tyre Nichols Impossible Orders

The footage begins with a police officer driving up to the intersection where Mr. Nichols’s car had been boxed in by two unmarked police vehicles.

The officer jumps out with his firearm drawn and joins a pair of officers rushing toward the front seat.

One officer pulls Mr. Nichols out of his car, and all three officers immediately start screaming “On the ground!”

These are the first orders in the bombardment of confusing commands that confound Mr. Nichols and prompt a cascade of retribution.

Mr. Nichols points out that he is sitting on the ground, as the officers instructed him to do.

But multiple officers shout the same command over and over with intensifying frustration and physical threats.

“Get on the ground!” one orders. “I’m gonna tase your ass.”

It eventually becomes evident that the officers would like Mr. Nichols not only on the ground but also lying down.

When Mr. Nichols repositions himself, it appears to further antagonize the officers. He tries to convey that he poses no threat.

“You guys are really doing a lot right now,” he says. “I’m just trying to go home.”

With officers pinning down his arms, pressing a taser against his leg and barking intensifying verbal threats, Mr. Nichols explodes: “I am on the ground!”

Finally, one of the officers yells more specific instructions: “On your stomach.”

Three seconds later, one of the officers shoots pepper spray into Mr. Nichols’s face.

[snip]

Then a third officer runs up with a can of pepper spray.

“You’re about to get sprayed good,” he says. The others start punching Mr. Nichols’s face.

Mr. Nichols responds by pulling his hands back to protect himself. The punching intensifies, and the pepper spray is fired.

Wiping the pepper spray from his eyes, Mr. Nichols tries assuring them that he is going to comply.

“OK,” he says. “All right. All right.”

But just as one of the officers gets hold of him, a new officer arrives and also demands that Mr. Nichols give him his hands. Again, Mr. Nichols is unable to follow the conflicting directions. He flails about, which only multiplies the police officers’ commands and the physical punishment they inflict. He is doused with pepper spray for a third time.

Two officers stand above Mr. Nichols, who is lying on his side and rubbing his eyes after being pepper-sprayed three times. An officer kicks Mr. Nichols in the face. Mr. Nichols appears to be barely conscious or coherent, but officers treat him as if he is resisting orders.

“Lay flat, goddamn it,” one officer commands.

Mr. Nichols moans and writhes on the ground. By this point, he has been tased, kicked in the head twice and punched and pepper-sprayed repeatedly.

“Lay flat,” another officer shouts.

Mr. Nichols is lying limp as an officer, without any apparent difficulty, snaps a pair of handcuffs to one of his wrists.

Officers continue to issue commands while simultaneously constraining, controlling and beating Mr. Nichols in ways that render it physically impossible for him to follow those commands.

One officer uses Mr. Nichols’s handcuffed arm to pull his body from the ground and into a kneeling position. Then another officer strikes him with a baton three times, yelling “Give us your hands!”

Surrounded by four officers, he tries to move away from the baton.

“Give me your fucking hands!” one officer shouts.

But Mr. Nichols — with one officer pinning his arms behind his back, another gripping his handcuffed wrist and a third punching his face — cannot comply.

Mr. Nichols doubles over and calls out for his mother. The blows continue.

Remember that this incident, like the VAST majority of police violence incidents, happened in a place run by people like you.

All fine and dandy but this what you get when you create a "defund the police" mentality.
We want to defund the police, take away powers, use the justice system for political reasons... but oh... at the same time cops should be better.
Police stations are desperately short staffed. They can't recruit anyone.
So they have dropped many requirements to qualify. As well as they are reluctant to fire bad cops because they can't replace them.
We journey now to San Francisco, the MAGA media's favorite pinata:

All of these issues roiling our politics intersect with Brooke Jenkins’s life story and her work.

I wanted to find out how she planned to gather her experiences into a unified vision for her office, how she thinks law enforcement might help fix a broken city and protect the rights of its citizens no matter where the threats came from.

[snip]

When I asked her what she would do if I gave her a magic wand that grants one wish that would help make her job easier and disrupt a broken system, the answer caught even me off guard.

“Right now, honestly, we need more police,” she said. (On tape, I can be heard involuntarily blurting “wow” at this statement, which is so bracingly anathema to online left-wing pieties).

[snip]

"I hate to even say that; I don’t want to see us become a police state. I’ve never been somebody who, you know, as a young person would’ve ever thought I would be saying something like that. . . . But the only way that we can effectively tackle this problem is if we have police stationed where they need to be to make arrests. . . . For drug dealing it takes sometimes four, five, six [cops] to do a single operation, and we’re understaffed by six hundred officers. . . . [Police] presence often serves as a deterrent, right? . . . Unfortunately, we’re at a point now where it seems that that’s the type of deterrence we need. And honestly, when I’m around the city, it’s the type of deterrence that most people are asking for."

We have more than enough former schoolyard bullies seeking automatic respect and obedience.

I was thinking more about recruiting police officers from the ranks of retired boxers and wrestlers, those who could have been a contender.

Tough fellows who aren't going to shy away from a fight.

The problem is that police departments hire too many broads who end up having to use deadly force instead of being able to pound miscreants without pulling out a firearm.

Yeah, we need social workers not police officers, huh? Any volunteers to go out on a domestic disturbance call?

Policing in a city is a very dangerous job. I don't blame cops for their actions, I blame criminals for not following commands.
I went on a bazillion domestic disturbance calls when I was on active duty. Every time I jumped into my vehicle, I asked God to make the fucking abuser take a swing at me.

But invariably, the abuser was as meek as a kitten by the time we arrived. Their anger and energy was spent.

It was the abused spouse you had to watch out for. Every single time, without exception, they begged us not to arrest their abusive spouse. I had a woman with a grapefruit-sized swelling on her face, and fingermark welts on her throat crying and begging us not to take her husband away.

These are very sick relationships.

Forum List

Back