Police officer uses "civil forfeiture" to take all of the money out of a hot dog vendor's wallet

Forfeiture laws are ridiculous anyway....an invitation to police corruption

For a misdemeanor like not having a vendors license. A ticket and a fine should suffice

The police have no right to go through your wallet

Actually ... not true. A police officer can go through your wallet if you're under arrest to ...

1. Confirm ID
2. Catalog currency and valuables
3. Search for drugs

Anything they find needs to be accounted for and documented, then stored in an evidence bag.

The police have no right to go through your wallet

Actually ... not true. A police officer can go through your wallet if you're under arrest to ...

1. Confirm ID
2. Catalog currency and valuables
3. Search for drugs

Anything they find needs to be accounted for and documented, then stored in an evidence bag.

The vendor was not under arrest
He was being given a ticket

The officer can ask for ID but is not entitled to go through your wallet to find it

Last edited:
Was in PG County, Maryland yesterday. Hyattsville.

Noticed many vendors of Hispanic descent selling Mangos, and many other foods, from their driveway.

I'm betting none of them had permits and bet not one would have their money confiscated.

But let Suzy sell lemonade.

Or this one to sell hotdogs.

Typically, police will tell a vendor....Move along
If they are being a prick....they give him a ticket

But forfeiture is way over the top

e officer can ask for ID but is not entitled to go through your wallet to find it

If you commit an offense and refused to identify yourself, you can be arrested. Once under arrest, an officer can and will go through your personal effects for ID and contraband.

He was not under arrest

I don't have the facts of this case and I'm not commenting on it. On the face of it, it would seem the officer acted improperly. However, I can't even begin to count the number of times that officers have been accused of the most heinous crimes in the media before the facts were known.

I was correcting the blanket comment that police don't have the right to go through your wallet. That statement is completely wrong.

Forum List

Back