Police Officer Stress

Bein' a cop can make ya sick...
icon_omg.gif

Study: Stress Can Leave Police Officers More Vulnerable to Disease
February 7, 2017 - A study of more than 300 Buffalo police officers suggests that the high-stress environment can leave the officers more vulnerable to disease.
For most people, cortisol, the vital hormone that controls stress, increases when they wake up. It’s the body’s way of preparing us for the day. But in police officers who’ve experienced intense stress on the job, cortisol functions much differently, according to recent research from the University at Buffalo and funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

officersstress.5899b8bfd1987.jpg

John Violanti, PhD -- who served with the New York State Police for 23 years and is now a research professor of epidemiology and environmental health at the University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions -- says a study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that the high-stress working environment can leave officers vulnerable to disease.​

A study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that police events or conditions considered highly stressful by the officers may be associated with disturbances of the normal awakening cortisol pattern. That can leave the officers vulnerable to disease, particularly cardiovascular disease, which already affects a large number of officers. “We wanted to look at what stressors most affect police officers in their work and what affect that has in the dysregulation of this awakening cortisol pattern,” said John Violanti, PhD, research professor of epidemiology and environmental health in UB’s School of Public Health and Health Professions.“Past studies haven’t really looked at the intensity of the stressor and how it affected this cortisol pattern. Here we looked at actual intensity,” adds Violanti, lead author on the paper, published in the January issue of the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The study included 338 Buffalo officers who were enrolled in the Buffalo Cardio-Metabolic Occupational Police Stress (BCOPS) study, a long-term study Violanti began in 1999.

What stresses officers the most?

For this study, participating officers assessed a variety of on-the-job stressors using a questionnaire that asks officers to rate 60 police-related events with a “stress rating.” Events perceived as very stressful are assigned a higher rating. Exposure to battered or dead children ranked as the most stressful event, followed by: killing someone in the line of duty; having a fellow officer killed on duty; a situation requiring the use of force; and being physically attacked.

Identifying the five most intense stressors police can face was significant, Violanti said. “When we talk about interventions to help prevent disease, it’s tricky because these stressors are things that can’t be prevented,” he said. “That’s why the availability of peer support programs within police departments is important. ”The survey showed that the officers experienced one of the five major stressors, on average, 2.4 times during the month before the survey was completed.

Stressed officers see blunted cortisol pattern

It must be stressful trying to remember what lies you told when.
The stress is being vulnerable just sitting in your car and being executed or being shot when you are trying to be helpful to a citizen. Would you want to be a police officer at this time?

That threat exists for every single person in the nation. There were more than 15,000 murders committed in the US. Of those 135 were cops. That means after we subtract the cops more than 15,000 civilians were murdered.

The Murderers generally speaking target the cops second, after us. The Rapists don't target cops. But let's stay with murderers.

When one of us is murdered is there an all hands on deck manhunt for the baddie? Nope. The cops pull out all the stops when one of their fellow gang members is killed however.

Murderers get out of prison every week. Only if they killed a cop is it a newsworthy event.

Convicted Cop Killer Released From Prison In Indiana

I was a soldier and went to war with less hardware than the police have. Fear isn't why I eschewed the police as a vocation. I won't join any criminal gang. Be they motorcycle gangs or mafia or badge wearing.

They don't protect us. They don't serve society. If they did I'd have a lot more respect for them than I do.
That's why everybody should carry a gun.

There are no Mayberrys anymore. Drugs like and worse have invaded rural America.
Drugs should not be a law-enforcement concern anymore than alcoholism or obesity are. Recreational drugs are a social problem which could be substantially reduced by a well-crafted public education program, which is the way cigarette smoking was reduced by more than 75% without arresting anyone -- and nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Police activity should be focused on people who harm others, not people who harm no one but themselves.

The War On Drugs is largely responsible for negatively altering the relationship with the police and the public they serve. I am old enough to remember when that relationship was very different.
Bullshit. First off law enforcements job is to enforce the laws. Individuals do not get to decide what is legal or not. It's obviously your cup of tea but a lot of drugs have been taken off the streets, you can consider that a failure but it doesn't change reality. Comparing drugs to cigarettes is stupid. Yes, tobacco is addictive but I would have no problem flying on a plane with a pilot smoking, I probably have, but wouldn't want to fly with someone doped up.

Cops and law breakers have always had a strained relationship, your memory is faulty.
There are no Mayberrys anymore. Drugs like and worse have invaded rural America.
Drugs should not be a law-enforcement concern anymore than alcoholism or obesity are. Recreational drugs are a social problem which could be substantially reduced by a well-crafted public education program, which is the way cigarette smoking was reduced by more than 75% without arresting anyone -- and nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Police activity should be focused on people who harm others, not people who harm no one but themselves.

The War On Drugs is largely responsible for negatively altering the relationship with the police and the public they serve. I am old enough to remember when that relationship was very different.
Bullshit. First off law enforcements job is to enforce the laws. Individuals do not get to decide what is legal or not. It's obviously your cup of tea but a lot of drugs have been taken off the streets, you can consider that a failure but it doesn't change reality. Comparing drugs to cigarettes is stupid. Yes, tobacco is addictive but I would have no problem flying on a plane with a pilot smoking, I probably have, but wouldn't want to fly with someone doped up.

Cops and law breakers have always had a strained relationship, your memory is faulty.

"Individuals do not get to decide what is legal or not"
Are you saying people should follow immoral/unethical laws simply because they are "laws"?

"...a lot of drugs have been taken off the streets..."
Only to be replaced with similar drugs or more pricey same drugs controlled by dangerous people.

My body belongs to me, not the state. Even though I don't use drugs (hard to force an aspirin into me) what I put into my body is nobody elses business unless I am harming them.

Do you drink alcoholic beverages or soda pop? Both are harmful to the body, and you no doubt know this. If someone were to try taking your right to damage yourself with booze or pop, you'd piss your panties in anger, wouldn't you? If it's "legal", you think nobody has a right to tell you to use or not use; if it is "illegal", you believe you have the right to condemn those who use it.

The most dangerous drugs on the streets today are prescription drugs. Doctors (legal drug dealers) pass out hydros like they are candy, oftentimes addicting their buyers/patients to them. When these addictive drugs are taken away, the victim/addict becomes a street junky. It is not uncommon for these innocent people to become heroin addicts who are imprisoned for being sick. Do you approve of that, Iceweasel?

"Individuals do not get to decide what is legal or not"
Are you saying people should follow immoral/unethical laws simply because they are "laws"?

"...a lot of drugs have been taken off the streets..."
Only to be replaced with similar drugs or more pricey same drugs controlled by dangerous people.

My body belongs to me, not the state. Even though I don't use drugs (hard to force an aspirin into me) what I put into my body is nobody elses business unless I am harming them.

Do you drink alcoholic beverages or soda pop? Both are harmful to the body, and you no doubt know this. If someone were to try taking your right to damage yourself with booze or pop, you'd piss your panties in anger, wouldn't you? If it's "legal", you think nobody has a right to tell you to use or not use; if it is "illegal", you believe you have the right to condemn those who use it.

The most dangerous drugs on the streets today are prescription drugs. Doctors (legal drug dealers) pass out hydros like they are candy, oftentimes addicting their buyers/patients to them. When these addictive drugs are taken away, the victim/addict becomes a street junky. It is not uncommon for these innocent people to become heroin addicts who are imprisoned for being sick. Do you approve of that, Iceweasel?
You can bitch about it but it changes nothing. You don't get to define what's legal or not, that's a fact, not a matter of opinion. You keep trying to superimpose your opinions over facts. That's insane, no wonder you like drugs.

icon_omg.gif

February 7, 2017 - A study of more than 300 Buffalo police officers suggests that the high-stress environment can leave the officers more vulnerable to disease.
For most people, cortisol, the vital hormone that controls stress, increases when they wake up. It’s the body’s way of preparing us for the day. But in police officers who’ve experienced intense stress on the job, cortisol functions much differently, according to recent research from the University at Buffalo and funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

John Violanti, PhD -- who served with the New York State Police for 23 years and is now a research professor of epidemiology and environmental health at the University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions -- says a study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that the high-stress working environment can leave officers vulnerable to disease.​

A study of more than 300 members of the Buffalo Police Department suggests that police events or conditions considered highly stressful by the officers may be associated with disturbances of the normal awakening cortisol pattern. That can leave the officers vulnerable to disease, particularly cardiovascular disease, which already affects a large number of officers. “We wanted to look at what stressors most affect police officers in their work and what affect that has in the dysregulation of this awakening cortisol pattern,” said John Violanti, PhD, research professor of epidemiology and environmental health in UB’s School of Public Health and Health Professions.“Past studies haven’t really looked at the intensity of the stressor and how it affected this cortisol pattern. Here we looked at actual intensity,” adds Violanti, lead author on the paper, published in the January issue of the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology. The study included 338 Buffalo officers who were enrolled in the Buffalo Cardio-Metabolic Occupational Police Stress (BCOPS) study, a long-term study Violanti began in 1999.

For this study, participating officers assessed a variety of on-the-job stressors using a questionnaire that asks officers to rate 60 police-related events with a “stress rating.” Events perceived as very stressful are assigned a higher rating. Exposure to battered or dead children ranked as the most stressful event, followed by: killing someone in the line of duty; having a fellow officer killed on duty; a situation requiring the use of force; and being physically attacked.

Identifying the five most intense stressors police can face was significant, Violanti said. “When we talk about interventions to help prevent disease, it’s tricky because these stressors are things that can’t be prevented,” he said. “That’s why the availability of peer support programs within police departments is important. ”The survey showed that the officers experienced one of the five major stressors, on average, 2.4 times during the month before the survey was completed.

Gun lovers should be required to respond to any Hue and Cry, first, if they are keeping and bearing Arms in public venues.

Thus, an order to cease and desist by the officer not obeyed, means an un-civil Person in our State and Republic.

If an honest, in-depth study were conducted it would reveal that the average cab-driver experiences substantially more stress then the average cop.
How's that honest when you just yank whatever you want out of your ass?
It's honest because it's demonstrably true. While some cops are occasionally exposed to highly stressful situations that is by no means a persistent norm.

If you'd like to actually see and hear what average and ordinary police work is about, watch the TV "ride-along" documentaries, COPS, and Live PD. You will hear one cop after another saying how much he loves the job and wouldn't consider doing anything else, and you'll see groups of them gathered after an arrest, high-fiving and laughing it up like high-school football players after a victorious game. You'll also see that eighty or more percent of their enforcement activity involves minor drug nonsense.

If you want to call that stress you can -- but it isn't. For them it's fun, plain and simple.

Now, keeping in mind that excitement isn't necessarily stressful, would you care to describe what you regard as the "stress" in ordinary police work?

If an honest, in-depth study were conducted it would reveal that the average cab-driver experiences substantially more stress then the average cop.
It's honest because it's demonstrably true. While some cops are occasionally exposed to highly stressful situations that is by no means a persistent norm.

If you'd like to actually see and hear what average and ordinary police work is about, watch the TV "ride-along" documentaries, COPS, and Live PD. You will hear one cop after another saying how much he loves the job and wouldn't consider doing anything else, and you'll see groups of them gathered after an arrest, high-fiving and laughing it up like high-school football players after a victorious game. You'll also see that eighty or more percent of their enforcement activity involves minor drug nonsense.

If you want to call that stress you can -- but it isn't. For them it's fun, plain and simple.

Now, keeping in mind that excitement isn't necessarily stressful, would you care to describe what you regard as the "stress" in ordinary police work?
I've been an over 10 year member on a LEO forum, they say COPS is a joke. You get your opinions from TV, which is never a good idea.

I've been an over 10 year member on a LEO forum, they say COPS is a joke. You get your opinions from TV, which is never a good idea.
I get my opinions from a lot more than TV -- and COPS is reality TV. It's real. Truth. Facts. You see it happening. It's not rehearsed. And it's always a good idea to base one's opinions on what takes place right before one's eyes and ears.

Stop the drug war? LOL!!!

[...]
Why is the suggestion to end the drug war funny?

Do you not believe the drug war is responsible for most of the corruption and malfeasance in American law-enforcement?
No, I'm not doped up so I don't share your world view.
I didn't ask if you share my world view. I asked if you believe the drug war is responsible for most of the corruption and malfeasance in American law enforcement. It's a simple question -- not a statement of my world view.

Not a difficult question. Do you believe that or not? And if not, why?

Bullshit. First off law enforcements job is to enforce the laws.
Who said it isn't? The problem is the existing drug laws have proven to be counterproductive, meaning they cause more harm than good. Outstanding among those harms is the negative effect the drug laws have had on the nature of law-enforcement in America.

Individuals do not get to decide what is legal or not.
True. But in a democracy the majority should decide what is legal or not. Unfortunately, where marijuana laws are concerned the majority is clearly being ignored by our corrupt legislators who refuse to legalize marijuana because of the money they are getting from the anti-pot lobbies. So the obvious response to your comment is neither individuals nor the majority consensus get to decide what is legal or not. Money does.

It's obviously your cup of tea but a lot of drugs have been taken off the streets,
That worn-out cliche is used by every cop who can't think of any other way to justify his wasted, often cruelly unnecessary drug arrest.

The War On Drugs has been going on for over three decades. It has cost the taxpayers more than a trillion dollars. It has produced an increasingly militarized law enforcement establishment, including a prison industrial complex with a shamefully excessive inmate census. In spite of all of that, and all of the drugs which are "taken off the streets," any drug which anyone is willing to pay for is readily available within five miles of any inhabited part of the United States -- usually within a block or two.
So don't you feel a little silly talking about how many drugs are "taken off the streets?" The fact is drugs are more available today than when the drug war was imposed on us, and they cost less.

Comparing drugs to cigarettes is stupid. Yes, tobacco is addictive but I would have no problem flying on a plane with a pilot smoking, I probably have, but wouldn't want to fly with someone doped up.

Nicotine is a drug. It is more addictive than heroin. Smoking cigarettes is responsible for more death and severe illness than all controlled substances combined, including every air, sea, and land-based accident. Yet cigarettes are legal while "doped-up" pilots are not.

Who said otherwise? I said the drug war has ruined the relationship between cops and the general public.

But there is one category of Americans whose personal and social orientation remains unchanged by the corruptive influence of the drug war. This category, classified by behaviorists as the authoritarian personality (and which clearly includes you), refers to individuals who harbor an inordinate reverence for authority. These individuals account for the proliferation of police-oriented movies and TV shows.

_ml_p2p_pc_badge_tallest15

An extreme example of authority worship is manifest in the form of sexual expression commonly known as "S&M" (Sado/Masochism) or "B&D" (Bondage and Dominance) which consists of erotically oriented authoritarian role-play. Vendors who specialize in sexually-oriented merchandise supply an active "B&D" customer category with a variety of authority oriented items such as restraints (handcuffs) and strait-jackets, "punishment" oriented items such as whips, quirts, blackjacks and the like.

Every one of these vendors I Googled up features a very large inventory of police costumes (uniforms). But I'm quite sure you will not recognize any associative significance in that.

Please be assured I am not suggesting that you "dress-up" and get off playing cop. I'm simply informing you about an existing reality and its likely connection to the category of police admirers.

And YOU get your opinions from cops on an internet forum. Definitely never a good idea.

Last edited:
Nicotine is a drug. It is more addictive than heroin. Smoking cigarettes is responsible for more death and severe illness than all controlled substances combined, including every air, sea, and land-based accident. Yet cigarettes are legal while "doped-up" pilots are not.

Who said otherwise? I said the drug war has ruined the relationship between cops and the general public.
You DEFINITELY are on drugs. I'm not going to respond to your mountain of tripe. You keep making statements based on your personal beliefs. I don't agree the "war" on drugs is harmful. You can't make me agree with you by repeating it over and over. You're high. Not everyone is a doper and we won't agree going after our pet vice is a bad thing. You can't get that?

You can't even understand why it's not legal for pilots to be high. Smoking doesn't turn your brains to mush, who the fuck cares if people decide to do it and it kills more? That isn't the point. Your mind is gone.

And YOU get your opinions from cops on an internet forum. Definitely never a good idea.
To a doper like you maybe. But I think cops know cops better than some doper on a chat forum.

Aw, yessss....when you have no argument, go for the personal attack. I have already made it plain that I do not use any drugs of any sort, but you choose to ignore that little fact, don't you?

MikeK puts forth some very valid arguments in his posts. Since you cannot defeat them, you refuse to respond to them and go for the "you're a doper", thing. You are not a very bright bulb, are you?

Alcohol is the most dangerous drugs. It causes all sorts of harm. It is actually more damaging than any other drug. It is legal. If a drug as dangerous as alcohol is legal, why should all other drugs be illegal?

Police have a high percentage of alcoholism and drug abuse.
Drug Addiction in Law Enforcement |

You DEFINITELY are on drugs. I'm not going to respond to your mountain of tripe. You keep making statements based on your personal beliefs. I don't agree the "war" on drugs is harmful. You can't make me agree with you by repeating it over and over. You're high. Not everyone is a doper and we won't agree going after our pet vice is a bad thing. You can't get that?

You can't even understand why it's not legal for pilots to be high. Smoking doesn't turn your brains to mush, who the fuck cares if people decide to do it and it kills more? That isn't the point. Your mind is gone.
The right wing has no problem trampling natural rights on a for-profit basis, as long as their socialism on a national basis, gets enacted.

The right wing has no problem trampling natural rights on a for-profit basis, as long as their socialism on a national basis, gets enacted.
You keep puking retarded garbage thinking it will look good. You are another one that rotted their brain with chemicals. Drugs alter reality, that's what they are for. You just never made it back.

icon_omg.gif

It must be stressful trying to remember what lies you told when.
The stress is being vulnerable just sitting in your car and being executed or being shot when you are trying to be helpful to a citizen. Would you want to be a police officer at this time?

That threat exists for every single person in the nation. There were more than 15,000 murders committed in the US. Of those 135 were cops. That means after we subtract the cops more than 15,000 civilians were murdered.

The Murderers generally speaking target the cops second, after us. The Rapists don't target cops. But let's stay with murderers.

When one of us is murdered is there an all hands on deck manhunt for the baddie? Nope. The cops pull out all the stops when one of their fellow gang members is killed however.

Murderers get out of prison every week. Only if they killed a cop is it a newsworthy event.

Convicted Cop Killer Released From Prison In Indiana

I was a soldier and went to war with less hardware than the police have. Fear isn't why I eschewed the police as a vocation. I won't join any criminal gang. Be they motorcycle gangs or mafia or badge wearing.

They don't protect us. They don't serve society. If they did I'd have a lot more respect for them than I do.

Did you kill babies and innocent civilians as a soldier?

icon_omg.gif

Cortisol (the vital hormone that controls stress) functions much differently, according to recent research from the University at Buffalo and funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).

Forum List

Back