Police officer fired for having confederate flag in yard

Here's the actual relevant case precedent in case anyone wonders

Garcetti v. Ceballos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SCOTUS has CLEARLY ruled that as a government employee your first amendment rights aren't violated if you exercise them in your official duty and are disciplined, but government employees DO have the right to free speech without fear of discipline in their private lives.

THUS this woman's rights were violated. PERIOD.

Not so fast. I don't think the case you cited has the relevancy you think it does. The Garcetti v. Ceballos case doesn't entail the potential to violate the public trust

Most government employees could get away with posting a terrorist flag in their yards based on their first amendment rights. They could put an ISIS or Taliban flag there without losing their jobs. But a police officer is held to a higher standard nowadays. I don't know why a female officer chose to put a rebel flag in her yard while her male peers seemed to have shied away from it. The whole things reeks of a setup to test the system.

Is there another more pertinent precedent? Try this one:

In 1995 a New York police woman sued after being fired for posing in Playboy magazine. She too cited the first amendment and declared that she had done nothing wrong. She believed what she did on her own time was her business and her public image as a civilian had no bearing on her job as a cop as long as she did not break the law. The Court didn't agree

SCOTUS has CLEARLY ruled that as a government employee your first amendment rights aren't violated if you exercise them in your official duty and are disciplined, but government employees DO have the right to free speech without fear of discipline in their private lives.

Not so fast. I don't think the case you cited has the relevancy you think it does. The Garcetti v. Ceballos case doesn't entail the potential to violate the public trust

Most government employees could get away with posting a terrorist flag in their yards based on their first amendment rights. They could put an ISIS or Taliban flag there without losing their jobs. But a police officer is held to a higher standard nowadays. I don't know why a female officer chose to put a rebel flag in her yard while her male peers seemed to have shied away from it. The whole things reeks of a setup to test the system.

In 1995 a New York police woman sued after being fired for posing in Playboy magazine. She too cited the first amendment and declared that she had done nothing wrong. She believed what she did on her own time was her business and her public image as a civilian had no bearing on her job as a cop as long as she did not break the law. The Court didn't agree
While the cop posing in Playboy did a public act that her employers at that time took exception to, the cop that put up the Confederate Naval Jack was not doing anything in the public media, instead she ws being as private as one can be flying this flag at her home.

Firing her from her GOVERNMENT job is a direct violation of her First Amendment rights to free speech. In fact the First Amendment was specifically written to prevent anyone from using a persons opinions against them while acting as a federal government employee or official, and this was done to prevent a group of say Episcopalians from running out all the Baptists from the Federal government. The 14th Amendment applies these protections to state and local government employees as well.

In this case the cops free expression is not religious, but is still protected.

While is hysterical is how the libtards will bend over backwards to keep anyone from being fired or arrested for burning an American flag, but now advocate and defend purging Americans federal, state and local governments of anyone who is proud of their Southern heritage.

You do get a sense of what absolute fools and hypocrits you look like in this case, right?

Page40.jpg

Regulating off-duty officer behavior will always be a legal challenge, as there is a very fine line between balancing the organization’s right not to employ an unethical officer versus the officer’s right to off-duty privacy. The scales of justice dictate that courts weigh the differing interests of the parties before them and derive a fair and just resolution that benefits the majority’s interests. Philosophically speaking, the majority’s interest in policing must belong to the community the agency serves, not to the organization, individual officers, or the police union. A police agency that drafts and adheres to its own template of accountability demonstrates to its citizens, its employees, and the courts its commitment to provide professional police services by maintaining a level of integrity both professionally and personally.

Labor law, not unlike criminal law, seeks to define employee behavior that violates the rules and regulations of an organization. Mission statements, codes of ethics, and oaths of office provide all employees and policy makers with guidelines for an agency’s expectations for both on- and off-duty behavior. Yet without clear and concise definitions of an agency’s expectations, employees may never truly associate their own immoral off-duty behavior as noncompliant with an agency’s expectations.

The following examples of conduct unbecoming are not cited in order to imply they are the law of the land and must be followed; rather, they are cited as examples of what agencies have had to address regarding legal off-duty behavior by employees that was deemed unethical and resulted in litigation. The profile for off-duty conduct unbecoming cases is simple:

1. Alleged misconduct occurs while an officer is off duty.
2 The alleged misconduct is reported by a citizen, the media, or a fellow officer.
3. The allegation results in an internal investigation.
4. Charges are filed based on the chief’s opinion that the behavior violated the organization’s rules.
5. A disciplinary hearing results in the officer’s discipline: days off without pay, reduction in rank, or termination.
6. A lawsuit is filed by the officer alleging a property loss resulting from the penalty for off-duty legal behavior.

Police Chief Magazine - View Article

The bimbo's actions undermine the Department's standing as an unbiased, objective and non-racist organization, coupled with her flagrant lies concerning her knowledge of the rag's history...yeah, file a lawsuit...lol.

While the cop posing in Playboy did a public act that her employers at that time took exception to, the cop that put up the Confederate Naval Jack was not doing anything in the public media, instead she ws being as private as one can be flying this flag at her home.

Firing her from her GOVERNMENT job is a direct violation of her First Amendment rights to free speech. In fact the First Amendment was specifically written to prevent anyone from using a persons opinions against them while acting as a federal government employee or official, and this was done to prevent a group of say Episcopalians from running out all the Baptists from the Federal government. The 14th Amendment applies these protections to state and local government employees as well.

In this case the cops free expression is not religious, but is still protected.

While is hysterical is how the libtards will bend over backwards to keep anyone from being fired or arrested for burning an American flag, but now advocate and defend purging Americans federal, state and local governments of anyone who is proud of their Southern heritage.

You do get a sense of what absolute fools and hypocrits you look like in this case, right?
Well, er…if displaying the rebel flag was free speech, was she saying she is a terrorist sympathizer who is prejudiced against Blacks and Jews and she wanted EVERYONE to know it? Too bad she revealed that mindset AFTER she became a cop or she would never have been hired in the first place… But her rights are still intact, she can still fly the flag under her First amendment rights. The racist slut just isn't qualified to be a police officer.

From the racist comments on this board towards the Black Man, it's obvious her former department made the right choice....

So because you don't like what people are saying about it, you think the First Amendment should not be applied to someone else? I don't see the logic....
Her Rights were never violated, she was not jailed or fined for her speech...therefore no violation exists.
However, her former career required that the public see her as unbiased when dealing with the public.
Supporting a cause/ symbol that called for slavery and treason doesn't support a position of objectivity when encountering minorities...

The same types that support this symbol of hate, racism and treason or usually the one's that start a thread calling Black people "coons" while denying any racist tendencies.

STFU coon.
Why don't you lose your job for being as stupid as her...oh yeah, you lick ass for free...

I've flown these flags of the Confederacy:

1national.png
bb.png
nj.png

That's the 1st National, Bonnie Blue, and Navy Jack.

What are you going not do about it, WHINE like a bitch?

From the racist comments on this board towards the Black Man, it's obvious her former department made the right choice....

So because you don't like what people are saying about it, you think the First Amendment should not be applied to someone else? I don't see the logic....
Her Rights were never violated, she was not jailed or fined for her speech...therefore no violation exists.
However, her former career required that the public see her as unbiased when dealing with the public.
Supporting a cause/ symbol that called for slavery and treason doesn't support a position of objectivity when encountering minorities...

The same types that support this symbol of hate, racism and treason or usually the one's that start a thread calling Black people "coons" while denying any racist tendencies.[/QUOT

STFU coon.
Why don't you lose your job for being as stupid as her...oh yeah, you lick ass for free...

View attachment 83944 View attachment 83945 View attachment 83946

It's obvious who the whining bitches in the thread are...

The same types that support this symbol of hate, racism and treason or usually the one's that start a thread calling Black people "coons" while denying any racist tendencies.[/QUOT

STFU coon.

It's you. What are you going to do about those flags I've flown? Since the answer is nothing, all that's left is bitching on your part, BOY.

STFU coon.

It's you. What are you going to do about those flags I've flown? Since the answer is nothing, all that's left is bitching on your part, BOY.
That bitch and your sniveling ass are the dumb fucks on the losing end...lol.

Yet all you have done is bitch and whine about something for which you can't do a damn thing. I've flown them and you've done nothing about it but complain. Guess who the loser is?

Yet all you have done is bitch and whine about something for which you can't do a damn thing. I've flown them and you've done nothing about it but complain. Guess who the loser is?
The loser is that idiot...so what are you going to do to get her job back...lol.
I am not on here bitching about anybodie's right to wave a shit stain traitorous rag...you are.

anyone flying a confederate flag

what do i win?

what do i win?

The loser is you since you, like reconmark don't do a damn thing except whine about them flying.

Mine are what. What the fuck are you going to do about it other than what you've done and bitch about it?

The loser is that idiot...so what are you going to do to get her job back...lol.
I am not on here bitching about anybodie's right to wave a shit stain traitorous rag...you are.

You're on here proving you oppose free speech rights by applauding someone being punished when they exercised it in a manner you don't like. You've proven you don't like it being done and think someone being punished for doing something you don't like that falls under free speech is a good thing.

In the end, there isn't a damn thing you're man enough to do about mine and both of us know you can't.

what do i win?

The loser is you since you, like reconmark don't do a damn thing except whine about them flying.

Mine are what. What the fuck are you going to do about it other than what you've done and bitch about it?
freefom of speech and all that.

plus it's nice when assholes identify themselves. makes them easier to avoid when they fly their asshole flags.

what do i win?

plus it's nice when assholes identify themselves. makes them easier to avoid when they fly their asshole flags.

You identified yourself as an asshole by supporting someone being punished because they exercised their right to free speech in a manner you didn't like.

That's you. Avoid and bitch when someone does something you don't like.

what do i win?

You identified yourself as an asshole by supporting someone being punished because they exercised their right to free speech in a manner you didn't like.

no, i supported the police department firing an idiot flying a racist flag

what do i win?

Just like I said. You didn't like what the person was doing. Trying to make it out as anything different proves you're a liar.

I suspect you don't like me flying the various ones I showed earlier. Funny thing there isn't a damn thing you're man enough to do about it. Bitching and calling me names isn't doing anything but whining.

what do i win?

Just like I said. You didn't like what the person was doing. Trying to make it out as anything different proves you're a liar.

I suspect you don't like me flying the various ones I showed earlier. Funny thing there isn't a damn thing you're man enough to do about it. Bitching and calling me names isn't doing anything but whining.
People like me have forced that shit stain rag off of public buildings and caused racists to become unemployed racists...pretty good work.

Prove the cop was a racist. You have been asked to do that this entire thread but never have. All you do is repeat that flying the Confederate flag is something that only a racist would do, which is a plain and obvious lie.

So why dont you shut your pie hole and go back to your Everclear, dumbass?

Prove the cop was a racist. You have been asked to do that this entire thread but never have. All you do is repeat that flying the Confederate flag is something that only a racist would do, which is a plain and obvious lie.

So why dont you shut your pie hole and go back to your Everclear, dumbass?
i actually never said she was racist.

i said the flag represents racism and oppression. because it does.

Forum List

Back