Police background checks. Would it reveal "pending" charges per se?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Most of you are aware of my plight with my wife assaulting me. I've never felt comfortable in the process, not trusting it not her quite frankly. I applied for a job, conducted interviews and they wanted to hire me. Great, finally some good news to give me confidence. Suddenly they conducted a police background check, I have completed too many to count in the past, and H.R advises me they are "updating the Welcome Package". Well over a.week ago, they don't send it to me. I am curious, is there such a blot on ones criminal check regarding "pending charges" or the like that my current situation (I am still the victim according to police) might trigger that I should be concerned sbout?

Most of you are aware of my plight with my wife assaulting me. I've never felt comfortable in the process, not trusting it not her quite frankly. I applied for a job, conducted interviews and they wanted to hire me. Great, finally some good news to give me confidence. Suddenly they conducted a police background check, I have completed too many to count in the past, and H.R advises me they are "updating the Welcome Package". Well over a.week ago, they don't send it to me. I am curious, is there such a blot on ones criminal check regarding "pending charges" or the like that my current situation (I am still the victim according to police) might trigger that I should be concerned sbout?
What country do you live in?

What country do you live in?
I'm sure our systems are similar. Certainly states such as New York are in terms of such checks. At least explain what you'd experience and it might assist me in understanding how our system might also work.

I'm sure our systems are similsr. Certainly states such as New York are in terms of such checks.
Well American HR Departments have a way of asking questions to former employers that they technically shouldn't be asking and the former employer has a way of answering which basically says no I would not hire this person again.

I can only speak for the Great State of Michigan

Employers can ask if you have convictions and if you have felony arrests. In most cases,employers cannot ask about misdemeanor arrests that did not result in a conviction. However, misdemeanor arrests may still show up on a background check.

Will a pending misdemeanor show on a background check in Georgia?

Usually, the answer is yes. A criminal record check may include convicted felonies and misdemeanors, pending criminal cases, and any history of incarceration.

Well American HR Departments have a way of asking questions to former employers that they technically shouldn't be asking and the former employer has a way of answering which basically says no I would not hire this person again.

I can only speak for the Great State of Michigan

Employers can ask if you have convictions and if you have felony arrests. In most cases,employers cannot ask about misdemeanor arrests that did not result in a conviction. However, misdemeanor arrests may still show up on a background check.

Will a pending misdemeanor show on a background check in Georgia?

Usually, the answer is yes. A criminal record check may include convicted felonies and misdemeanors, pending criminal cases, and any history of incarceration.
You see that concerns me. I have been feeling for some time that they are railroading me and this job response alludes to this. She is vindictive, I am not. If I am out in front of a judge though, the will learn of abuses that may create problems for her. I won't allow her to bear false witness at my expense. Nor will I lie under oath, I am somewhat angry now.

You see that concerns me. I have been feeling for some time that they are railroading me and this job response alludes to this. She is vindictive, I am not. If I am out in front of a judge though, the will learn of abuses that may create problems for her. I won't allow her to bear false witness at my expense. Nor will I lie under oath, I am somewhat angry now.
If you owe money to creditors or have any pending cases with the courts a prospective employer sees that as a possible red flag. It has to do with extra payroll accounting (wage garnishment) and scheduling for you taking time off for court. Instead of waiting for them to contact you, visit or contact them. It may not be what you think.

If you owe money to creditors or have any pending cases with the courts a prospective employer sees that as a possible red flag. It has to do with extra payroll accounting (wage garnishment) and scheduling for you taking time off for court. Instead of waiting for them to contact you, visit or contact them. It may not be what you think.
I have nothing related to that. I believe they have flagged me and/or my address. This is already preventing me work (not that they haven't interfered for years) without me even having been charged nor defended myself. THIS is Canada, and Americans better understand this with clear vision. We need civil liberties here, we are 100 years behind you.

I have nothing related to that. I believe they have flagged me and/or my address. This is already preventing me work (not that they haven't interfered for years) without me even having been charged nor defended myself. THIS is Canada, and Americans better understand this with clear vision. We need civil liberties here, we are 100 years behind you.
Maybe the employer is ghosting you.

They hired someone else.
It's the type.of.company that hires many people. The police in this country are destroying our reputation globally. As much as Americans may dislike some loose laws in the U.S at least you are strict about police entrapment, abuse and your Constitution. You don't help yourselves by emulating us I assure you. Did men die overseas for civil liberty violations to be commonplace by the state?

It's the type.of.company that hires many people. The police in this country are destroying our reputation globally. As much as Americans may dislike some loose laws in the U.S at least you are strict about police entrapment, abuse and your Constitution. You don't help yourselves by emulating us I assure you. Did men die overseas for civil liberty violations to be commonplace by the state?
Did you mention any spousal abuse to said employer?

Did you mention any spousal abuse to said employer?
Of.course not, even though I am the abused! There is something amiss, I sensed it when my wife came to.pick up her things. She seemed quite confident, even though she knows what she has.done to me for well over a decade and is aware what she did to me in this instance.

Who knows what the laws are in the people's republic of Canada but here in the States you you can flip burgers or checkout at Walmart or pick oranges but you are fingerprinted for a security job. It seams reasonable.

Who knows what the laws are in the people's republic of Canada but here in the States you you can flip burgers or checkout at Walmart or pick oranges but you are fingerprinted for a security job. It seams reasonable.
This isn't a security job and how does limiting someone who ever made a mistake to such narrow options seem "reasonable"

Forum List

Back