Police: 7-year-old fatally shot by father outside gun store in Pennsylvania

OK well unless you were in the truck with them you'll have to take it up with the PA state police:

I wasn't stating opinion there.

Nothing the State Police said support the idea that the gun magically discharged on its own. The adult can say whatever he wants but it does not change the facts. If this firearm discharged "as he's laying it down", it's because he, accidentally I'm sure, pulled the trigger in the process of laying it down. Firearms just don't go off. Hermick is right, that it was an accident, but he never claimed it discharged on its own.

Anyone with a modicum of understand of how firearms operate knows this.

The father also violated a sacred rule of firearm safety, he allowed the muzzle to point at something he didn't intend to destroy.

While I wasn't in the vehicle at the time, I assure you SOMEONE pulled the trigger.

OK well as I said, take it up with the State Police :talktothehand: They investigated; you didn't. Denial goes a long way but it's rhetorically worthless.

Yes, they did investigate and never did they find that the gun discharged on it's own...because it can't happen.

OK well as I said, take it up with the State Police :talktothehand: They investigated; you didn't. Denial goes a long way but it's rhetorically worthless.

Yes, they did investigate and never did they find that the gun discharged on it's own...because it can't happen.

Again -- see my last note. Absolute thinking, especially on an incident you didn't see, will drown you in the River Denial. And I believe the PA State Police know their way around guns.

I am trying to prove that Mike K is an idiot. Do you want to make the same stupid assertions so I can bet you too?

No, I have actually witnessed first hand when a trained professional has made a mistake regarding a gun.
When I was 14 I watched bullet fragments be removed from my brothers face.. But you can continue to act like a know it all, it's always fun to watch.

I am arguing that no one, even trained professionals, is perfect, and you think I am stupid. That sounds like the typical response of a person suffering senile dementia.

First off the term senile dementia is no longer used. If we are trying to act all smart and stuff. :cuckoo:

Less then 1000 people a year die from accidental discharge of a firearm. But then you don't care about that fact do you? Hell there are 40 to 50 thousand a year killed in car accidents, lets ban private ownership of cars. FOR the children of course.

Most car "accidents" aren't really accidental and neither are most gun "accidents"

Are you saying there was nothing the father could have done to prevent this? Doubt it.

Nope. You're simply wrong. Unless the firearm has a serious defect in it's construction, someone MUST pull the trigger in order for it to discharge. There is nothing to suggest this firearm was manufactured, or tinkered with, in such a way that would cause it to fire without pulling the trigger.

The guy left a round in the chamber. Tragic mistake. However, the gun didn't just "go off", either he or the kid, pulled the trigger.

OK well unless you were in the truck with them you'll have to take it up with the PA state police:
State police Lt. Eric Hermick said Sunday the father had secured a rifle in the back of the truck and placed his pistol on the console when the handgun went off. Hermick said police are reviewing surveillance video from the store, which helped lay out the chain of events; the video is not being released.

"It is very clear-cut exactly what transpired here," Hermick said of what he called clearly an accident. "As he's laying it down, it discharges."

Nothing the State Police said support the idea that the gun magically discharged on its own. The adult can say whatever he wants but it does not change the facts. If this firearm discharged "as he's laying it down", it's because he, accidentally I'm sure, pulled the trigger in the process of laying it down. Firearms just don't go off. Hermick is right, that it was an accident, but he never claimed it discharged on its own.

The father also violated a sacred rule of firearm safety, he allowed the muzzle to point at something he didn't intend to destroy.

While I wasn't in the vehicle at the time, I assure you SOMEONE pulled the trigger.

I don't think Pogo has the basic understanding of firearms. The trigger was pulled and I'm guessing it was a "hair trigger" less than 1 pound. Typical handguns have a trigger pull of 8 to 15 pounds. Most law enforcement, well the ones that buy weapons from me, like the trigger pull to be around 4.5 to 5 pounds which is also the way I set mine. Rifles on the other hand usually have a trigger pull of 5 pounds.

Again -- see my last note. Absolute thinking, especially on an incident you didn't see, will drown you in the River Denial.

Absolute thinking like being just sure this firearm discharged on its own? What was that about denial?

And I believe the PA State Police know their way around guns.

Perhaps, but they never said nor implied the firearm discharged on its own. They said it was an accident, which it was. They said the father said it discharged as he was laying it down, which it may very well have...because he pulled the trigger.

Bravo, fuckehead, bravo :clap2:

When you are done firing a weapon, you take the magazine out, put the weapon on safe, and you check the chamber to make sure nothing is in it. If something is in the chamber, you point the weapon downrange, take the weapon off safe, and fire again.

Which is why there should be laws against utter stupidity - so idiots like this would face charges.

If there were laws against utter stupidity, liberals would not be allowed to procreate.

I don't think Pogo has the basic understanding of firearms. The trigger was pulled and I'm guessing it was a "hair trigger" less than 1 pound. Typical handguns have a trigger pull of 8 to 15 pounds. Most law enforcement, well the ones that buy weapons from me, like the trigger pull to be around 4.5 to 5 pounds which is also the way I set mine. Rifles on the other hand usually have a trigger pull of 5 pounds.

Agreed. And you're right, he may have had a light trigger job done on the firearm, making it easier for the finger to accidentally pull the trigger. He still pulled the trigger. He still allowed the muzzle to point in an unsafe direction. Tragic, but not a case of a gun magically discharging.

Why take a child to a gun shop to begin with?

Why would you take a child into a car dealership? Both sell items that are potentially dangerous.

Or are you suggesting children should be kept ignorant to all that is potentially dangerous?

I wouldn't take a child to a gun shop or a venomous snake shop. Shit happens as you can see by this story.

Your kid, your choice.

Personally, if I lived in venomous snake country, I would take my kid to the snake shop so that he might be able to identify dangerous reptiles that are best avoided in the wild.

I think more education is a good think and willful ignorance bad. You are free to choose differently for your child.

Why would you take a child into a car dealership? Both sell items that are potentially dangerous.

Or are you suggesting children should be kept ignorant to all that is potentially dangerous?

I wouldn't take a child to a gun shop or a venomous snake shop. Shit happens as you can see by this story.

Your kid, your choice.

Personally, if I lived in venomous snake country, I would take my kid to the snake shop so that he might be able to identify dangerous reptiles that are best avoided in the wild.

I think more education is a good think and willful ignorance bad. You are free to choose differently for your child.

Now you're trying to confuse them with logic and common sense.

Here in this part of Texas we have a variety of poisonous snakes like the cottonmouth aka water moccasin, rattlesnakes, coral and copperheads. Being able to identify the types of snakes is very helpful, especially if you get bit by one.

Again -- see my last note. Absolute thinking, especially on an incident you didn't see, will drown you in the River Denial.

Absolute thinking like being just sure this firearm discharged on its own? What was that about denial?

Perhaps, but they never said nor implied the firearm discharged on its own. They said it was an accident, which it was. They said the father said it discharged as he was laying it down, which it may very well have...because he pulled the trigger.

It must be a heavy burden to know everything, even about events you didn't see. I'm not sure I'd care for that. In any case I'll take the word of a trained state cop on the record over an anonymous internet poster who knows all/sees all.

This tangent just exhibits again my main point: the stretch some people will go to, to preserve, protect and defend Lord Gun Almighty, even at the expense of an innocent kid's life, which becomes just a tool to be stepped over. That priority is the part I find interesting.

But no, Bob Costas, we don't have a "gun culture", nooooo...

It must be a heavy burden to know everything, even about events you didn't see. I'm not sure I'd care for that. In any case I'll take the word of a trained state cop on the record over an anonymous internet poster who knows all/sees all.

This tangent just exhibits again my main point: the stretch some people will go to, to preserve, protect and defend Lord Gun Almighty, even at the expense of an innocent kid's life, which becomes just a tool to be stepped over. That priority is the part I find interesting.

But no, Bob Costas, we don't have a "gun culture", nooooo...

The trained officer did not say the gun went off by itself and he didn't say the trigger was accidently pulled. But he doesn't need to. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge about firearms knows that guns do not just magically discharge, someone had to have pulled the trigger.

If you can point to where a trained cop said definitively that the firearm discharged on its own, I will reassess my understanding of the physics surrounding the operation of a firearm. Since the cops said no such thing, I wonder if it's you pretending to know about events you didn't see???

No, we just understand what it takes for a firearm to discharge. You can't alter the physical universe to adhere to your political ideas.

No, we just understand what it takes for a firearm to discharge. You can't alter the physical universe to adhere to your political ideas.

Nor do I want to. All I know is a state cop who investigated says the guy was laying the gun down and it just went off, and an anoymous internet poster says that's impossible.* I'm not saying who's right. I'm just saying who's credible.

* And if it is impossible then why would gun safety include the cardinal rule to never point the thing at something you don't intend to destroy? If it's "impossible", such a rule would be unnecessary. I run rings around you logically.

Why take a child to a gun shop to begin with?

And in a car to boot!

]All I know is a state cop who investigated says the guy was laying the gun down and it just went off, and an anoymous internet poster says that's impossible.* I'm not saying who's right. I'm just saying who's credible.

Hmm let me see. Internet poster or someone who was actually there. With that said. A gun cannot discharge unless it is set to condition and an action is taken.

Last edited:

Nor do I want to. All I know is a state cop who investigated says the guy was laying the gun down and it just went off,

Wrong. The cops said that's what the father said. Big, big difference.

* And if it is impossible then why would gun safety include the cardinal rule to never point the thing at something you don't intend to destroy?

Because people can, as this case demonstrates, accidentally pull the trigger. It happens, which is why you never point a gun towards something you're not okay destroying. At the range, we ALWAYS point the muzzle down range. That way, if someone accidentally pulls the trigger, no harm is done. I've seen it happen several times.

If it's "impossible", such a rule would be unnecessary. .

It's NOT impossible to accidentally pull a trigger. Again, it happens.

I run rings around you logically

Yea, whatever you say...:doubt:

If anyone here was willfully ignorant it was the guy with the loaded gun.

You people could justify anything. And your car analogy is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Nor do I want to. All I know is a state cop who investigated says the guy was laying the gun down and it just went off, and an anoymous internet poster says that's impossible.* I'm not saying who's right. I'm just saying who's credible.

* And if it is impossible then why would gun safety include the cardinal rule to never point the thing at something you don't intend to destroy? If it's "impossible", such a rule would be unnecessary. I run rings around you logically.

But guns do not just "go off". That's what we're trying to explain to you.

The reason why you should treat every gun as if it's loaded and you do not point it at anything you are not aiming to shoot is to prevent accidents exactly like this.

If anyone here was willfully ignorant it was the guy with the loaded gun.

You people could justify anything. And your car analogy is about as stupid as stupid gets.

Willfully ignorant? That describes you accurately.

Forum List

Back