Polar Bear Invasion!

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
Seems that the imminent demise of the polar bear was greatly overblown...surprise, surprise. Yet another assertion by the revisionist loons is proven WRONG!

"In villages across the Arctic, Inuit are reporting an invasion. Polar bears, once rare, are now strolling the streets, peeking in windows, killing dogs – even stalking kids. No place has been more menaced than Arviat. By Jake MacDonald"

Besieged by bears | UpHere.ca

20110519_0052_1-14.jpg

Seems that the imminent demise of the polar bear was greatly overblown...surprise, surprise. Yet another assertion by the revisionist loons is proven WRONG!

"In villages across the Arctic, Inuit are reporting an invasion. Polar bears, once rare, are now strolling the streets, peeking in windows, killing dogs – even stalking kids. No place has been more menaced than Arviat. By Jake MacDonald"

i think the reason they are appearing in town is because of the severe lack of food.... not so much because their numbers are increasing.

the polar bears, like the bears in Tahoe... are very smart and have figured out that there is easy food to be had where humans are.

Curtialing of the hunting of polar bears has increased their numbers, while a longer season of no ice has led to a longer hunger period for them. So they seek food where ever they can find it.

i think the reason they are appearing in town is because of the severe lack of food.... not so much because their numbers are increasing.

the polar bears, like the bears in Tahoe... are very smart and have figured out that there is easy food to be had where humans are.

The bears that have been killed have been in good shape with lots of fat. The ones that are killed are stalking people which they would normally not do because they don't need protein, they need fat for the season. Not enough fat on people so they tend to ignore them.

Curtialing of the hunting of polar bears has increased their numbers, while a longer season of no ice has led to a longer hunger period for them. So they seek food where ever they can find it.

:lol::lol::lol: Please, by all means, show us where the arctic was ice free this season. Polar bears swim an average of 97 miles to hunt so lack of ice is no problem. In other words you, and the enviro nuts were wrong. Just admit it and hope they start doing some better science. The Inuits live with them so have a far better idea of their numbers than a bunch of politically minded scientists thousands of miles away.

Please, by all means, show us where the arctic was ice free this season. Polar bears swim an average of 97 miles to hunt so lack of ice is no problem. In other words you, and the enviro nuts were wrong. Just admit it and hope they start doing some better science. The Inuits live with them so have a far better idea of their numbers than a bunch of politically minded scientists thousands of miles away.

Lack of ice may pose no problem when bears are swimming, but when they're not they've got to go to town. No ice, you see. Why is that so hard to understand?!?!

Here's conclusive proof that they are indeed invading human space and becoming more of a problem. They are pretty smart though, aren't they?

[ame=http://youtu.be/zO2AofIzPEw]Huge Bear Surprises Crew on EcoBubble Photo Shoot - YouTube[/ame]

:lol::lol::lol: Please, by all means, show us where the arctic was ice free this season. Polar bears swim an average of 97 miles to hunt so lack of ice is no problem. In other words you, and the enviro nuts were wrong. Just admit it and hope they start doing some better science. The Inuits live with them so have a far better idea of their numbers than a bunch of politically minded scientists thousands of miles away.

Lol polar bears swim an average of 97 miles to hunt.

And there is a global conspiracy by science about polar bears numbers declining, but really they are just swimming all over the place. :lol:

:bsflag:

Please, by all means, show us where the arctic was ice free this season. Polar bears swim an average of 97 miles to hunt so lack of ice is no problem. In other words you, and the enviro nuts were wrong. Just admit it and hope they start doing some better science. The Inuits live with them so have a far better idea of their numbers than a bunch of politically minded scientists thousands of miles away.

Lack of ice may pose no problem when bears are swimming, but when they're not they've got to go to town. No ice, you see. Why is that so hard to understand?!?!

The point, dear child, is there was plenty of ice in the Arctic. Plenty of it.

And there is a global conspiracy by science about polar bears numbers declining, but really they are just swimming all over the place. :lol:

I suggest you do a little research before making an ass out of yourself....

Longest Polar Bear Swim Recorded—426 Miles Straight

Longest Polar Bear Swim Recorded?426 Miles Straight

And I must apologise, I was wrong, the average length of swim was only 96 miles

The researchers tracked 52 females from 2004 to 2009 (I was told that the necks of male bears are too thick to accommodate radio collars), then compared the recorded tracks of the bears with maps of sea ice through the same period. The biologists documented 50 swims with an average length of 96 miles. The paper, “Long-distance swimming by polar bears (Ursus maritimus) of the southern Beaufort Sea during years of extensive open water,” is published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology.

Polar Bears' Long-Distance Swimming Skills on Display - NYTimes.com

Last edited:

The researchers tracked 52 females from 2004 to 2009 (I was told that the necks of male bears are too thick to accommodate radio collars), then compared the recorded tracks of the bears with maps of sea ice through the same period. The biologists documented 50 swims with an average length of 96 miles. The paper, “Long-distance swimming by polar bears (Ursus maritimus) of the southern Beaufort Sea during years of extensive open water,” is published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology.

Man take a step back and think about it...

Why are you hating on polar bears? I wasn't denying that they swam far, just that it's funny that anyone uses that as a defense against polar bears!

Every shred of evidence points to a decline of polar bears. What do you want to do about them?

Why are you hating on polar bears? I wasn't denying that they swam far, just that it's funny that anyone uses that as a defense against polar bears!

Every shred of evidence points to a decline of polar bears. What do you want to do about them?

I love polar bears. Every shred of OBSERVABLE evidence says their numbers are increasing at a prodigous rate. The Inuit, who actually live with them, have been stating unequivocally that polar bear numbers are increasing rapidly. That is being supported by actual observations in the field.

If you choose to believe the BS promulgated by "scientists" sitting in their nice comfy offices thousands of miles away from the real world, that's fine with me...but it isn't the reality of the situation.

I love polar bears. Every shred of OBSERVABLE evidence says their numbers are increasing at a prodigous rate. The Inuit, who actually live with them, have been stating unequivocally that polar bear numbers are increasing rapidly. That is being supported by actual observations in the field.

If you choose to believe the BS promulgated by "scientists" sitting in their nice comfy offices thousands of miles away from the real world, that's fine with me...but it isn't the reality of the situation.

I hope you're right...but I bet that you're thousands of miles away from your "scientists." And I bet they have comfy couches too.

Do you really think Polar Bears will be just fine?

Last edited:

I hope you're right...but I bet that you're thousands of miles away from your "scientists." And I bet they have comfy couches too.

Do you really think Polar Bears will be just fine?

Yes, I do. They were being hunted to extinction till the International Treaty on Marine Mammals was signed by all the countries that ring the Arctic ocean. At the time of the signing there were fewer than 5,000 polar bears estimated to still be living. Now there are well over 25,000 and increasing.

Sea ice is useful but not neccessary for their survival as there have been many times when there was no Arctic sea ice so global warming when it does occur is not an issue. They truly ARE marine mammals, able to swim vast distances and robust beyond our comprehension. They fear nothing and are the only animal that will hunt man in preferance to its normal food source.

Every shred of OBSERVABLE evidence says their numbers are increasing at a prodigous rate. The Inuit, who actually live with them, have been stating unequivocally that polar bear numbers are increasing rapidly. That is being supported by actual observations in the field.

Well, then I guess we should listen to the Inuit, right?

Unikkaaqatigiit: Perspectives From Inuit In Canada

When an environmental change occurs, especially one caused in part by human behaviour on a global scale, it doesn’t just affect flora and fauna, it affects all living things including people. To address the impacts of change, it makes sense to consult with those most affected. In this case it is the Inuit, living in the vast Arctic regions, who are feeling the first and substantial effects of global warming. Forces mostly outside of the Arctic have caused climate change, manifested in the Arctic by changing sea-ice, tundra, and wildlife patterns. And the traditional Inuit way of life is threatened.

https://www.itk.ca/publication/canadian-inuit-perspectives-climate-change-unikkaaqatigiit

Autumn freeze-up occurs up to a month later than usual and the spring thaw seems earlier every year. The multi-year sea-ice is smaller and now drifts far from the community in the summer, taking with it the seals upon which the community relies for food. In the winter the sea-ice is thin and broken, making travel dangerous for even the most experienced hunters. In the fall, storms have become frequent and severe, making boating difficult. Thunder and lightning have been seen for the first time.

Hot weather in the summer is melting the permafrost and causing large-scale slumping on the coastline and along the shores of inland lakes. The melting has already caused one inland lake to drain into the ocean, killing the freshwater fish. Around the town of Sachs Harbour, it is causing building foundations to shift.

New species of birds such as barn swallows and robins are arriving on the island. In the nearby waters, salmon have been caught for the first time. On the land, an influx of flies and mosquitoes are making life difficult for humans and animals.

Inuit Observations on Climate Change Project - CASL - IISDnet

James Ford has spent eight years researching the effects of climate change on the lifestyles of Inuit people living in the Far North.

He's seen evidence that local temperatures are rising and there's a lot less sea ice floating around, for a much shorter time period each year. Along the Northern Foxe Basin, for example, the ice is taking as much as four weeks as long to freeze than it did 40 years ago, said Ford.

That means it is harder for Inuit people to hunt, fish, and eke out a livable existence, according to their traditional ways.

Read more: Inuit must adapt to climate change: study | CTV News

Forum List

Back