Poacher shot dead after his gang kill elephant

Much as I support the killing of would-be killers (even of animals) I'm forced to conceed that if a species is faced with extinction by even our species, then that's what's supposed to happen. While our human animal may be the first in the history of this planet to eradicate other species, things go extinct all the time. And that it happened numerous times before ours came along tells me it's part of the natural order. Even if one species causes the extinction of another oh well, that's supposed to happen. As with very large animals like elephants and whales I can't say I see how that's any sadder than when dinosaurs went extinct. But no one (responsible) is proposing we revive the dinosaurs. Really want wild elephants meandering down city streets? Is there benefit to that species coexisting with Man that outweighs such a nuissance as a pack of them tear-assing through farmland?

Being cute or remarkable is not adequate reason to go out of way protecting given species. Anyone gonna cry if great whites and other "nibbly" sharks went extinct? I get the interconnected nature of the sea and all that, but as a diver who has a much loved brother who's a surfer, I'd be a lot happier if big sharks went bye-bye. Things go extinct routinely, but thigs don't collapse because of it, something else just slides into top position. The world isn't going to end if elephants cease to exist in the wild or tigers do, or whales in the ocean.
That's not what happened in yellowstone when we got rid of the wolves. The park went to shit. And paradises in america turned to deserts when we got rid of the beaver. Maybe in a 100,000 years yellowstone will be alright but we shouldn't be fucking with the order of things.

I know life would continue without the elephant but it wouldn't be as good. Humans are a parasite.

Let's get rid of every cow pig deer and chicken and see what new species will rise to replace them.

Or let's cut the human population in half and see the planet will be a much better place.

It's beyond dispute the planet and every other species would be much better off if humans went extinct. But since that's not likely to happen anytime soon it's pointless to mention. But humans causing others to go extinct isn't. We do that often. But here we are, doing just fine anyway.

We could be doing better. And some of the things were doing could kill us too. Global warming killing polar bears might end up doing us in. All the cows crammed shoulder to shoulder farting methane might cause global warming or ruin the ozone or cause grrenhose gas. You know what I'm saying.

I get what you are saying though. I don't like it but I get it.

I'd prefer being able to walk home late at night from a friend's party in Alaska without worrying about being eaten by a polar bear. Similarly, I'd like to be able to go diving without fear of encountering a big damned fish regarding me as a snack. Does the balance of life depend on these things? Yes. Can Nature adapt to their absence? Yes, as it has all along.

Australia ecosystem didn't roll over and die when Tasmanian Tigers went extinct, nor did it when Cane Toads and domestic Cats were introduced. It suffered in that native species had difficulties, but Nature adapted just fine.

Much as I support the killing of would-be killers (even of animals) I'm forced to conceed that if a species is faced with extinction by even our species, then that's what's supposed to happen. While our human animal may be the first in the history of this planet to eradicate other species, things go extinct all the time. And that it happened numerous times before ours came along tells me it's part of the natural order. Even if one species causes the extinction of another oh well, that's supposed to happen. As with very large animals like elephants and whales I can't say I see how that's any sadder than when dinosaurs went extinct. But no one (responsible) is proposing we revive the dinosaurs. Really want wild elephants meandering down city streets? Is there benefit to that species coexisting with Man that outweighs such a nuissance as a pack of them tear-assing through farmland?

Being cute or remarkable is not adequate reason to go out of way protecting given species. Anyone gonna cry if great whites and other "nibbly" sharks went extinct? I get the interconnected nature of the sea and all that, but as a diver who has a much loved brother who's a surfer, I'd be a lot happier if big sharks went bye-bye. Things go extinct routinely, but thigs don't collapse because of it, something else just slides into top position. The world isn't going to end if elephants cease to exist in the wild or tigers do, or whales in the ocean.
That's not what happened in yellowstone when we got rid of the wolves. The park went to shit. And paradises in america turned to deserts when we got rid of the beaver. Maybe in a 100,000 years yellowstone will be alright but we shouldn't be fucking with the order of things.

I know life would continue without the elephant but it wouldn't be as good. Humans are a parasite.

Let's get rid of every cow pig deer and chicken and see what new species will rise to replace them.

Or let's cut the human population in half and see the planet will be a much better place.

It's beyond dispute the planet and every other species would be much better off if humans went extinct. But since that's not likely to happen anytime soon it's pointless to mention. But humans causing others to go extinct isn't. We do that often. But here we are, doing just fine anyway.

We could be doing better. And some of the things were doing could kill us too. Global warming killing polar bears might end up doing us in. All the cows crammed shoulder to shoulder farting methane might cause global warming or ruin the ozone or cause grrenhose gas. You know what I'm saying.

I'd prefer being able to walk home late at night from a friend's party in Alaska without worrying about being eaten by a polar bear. Similarly, I'd like to be able to go diving without fear of encountering a big damned fish regarding me as a snack. Does the balance of life depend on these things? Yes. Can Nature adapt to their absence? Yes, as it has all along.
I hear the oceans are being over fished. People will starve. The planet will be fine but we might not be.

I guess I don't want to be the cause of sharks going extinct and I'm not sure them being gone would be OK for us. I've seen shows where one thing being absent upset the food chain and that could be bad for us.

Plus what's the point of diving if you don't see any fish whale or sharks?

Australia ecosystem didn't roll over and die when Tasmanian Tigers went extinct, nor did it when Cane Toads and domestic Cats were introduced. It suffered in that native species had difficulties, but Nature adapted just fine.

The frightening reality is, like them or not, sharks play a crucial role on this planet. Remove sharks from the oceans and we are tampering with our primary food and air sources.

Sharks keep our largest and most important ecosystem healthy. Our existence, in part, is dependent upon theirs. Sharks have sat atop the oceans’ food chain, keeping our seas healthy for 450 million years. They are a critical component in an ecosystem that provides 1/3 of our world with food, produces more oxygen than all the rainforests combined, removes half of the atmosphere’s manmade carbon dioxide (greenhouse gas), and controls our planet’s temperature and weather.

The shark’s critical role
As the apex predators of the oceans, the role of sharks is to keep other marine life in healthy balance and to regulate the oceans. Remove sharks and that balance is seriously upset. Studies are already indicating that regional elimination of sharks can cause disastrous effects including the collapse of fisheries and the death of coral reefs.

Just because we've been ok with all the species that have gone extinct on our watch, doesn't mean it'll be ok if any animal disappears. Sure the planet and cockroaches will be fine but maybe not humans. Do we want to test it? Why not like we do with god and say it's better to be safe than sorry and so we believe, why not stop being the assholes of the planet, just in case?

One study in the U.S. indicates that the elimination of sharks resulted in the destruction of the shellfish industry in waters off the mid-Atlantic states of the United States, due to the unchecked population growth of cow-nose rays, whose mainstay is scallops. Other studies in Belize have shown reef systems falling into extreme decline when the sharks have been overfished, destroying an entire ecosystem. The downstream effects are frightening: the spike in grouper population (thanks to the elimination of sharks) resulted in a decimation of the parrotfish population, who could no longer perform their important role: keeping the coral algae-free.

I'd prefer you stay out of the woods at night in alaska and don't scooba dive if it means keeping the sharks and polar bear around.

We don't hear how the elimination of sharks might impact our best natural defense against global warming. Or how our favorite foods might disappear as a side effect of the extinction of sharks. Or that we could lose more oxygen than is produced by all the trees and jungles in the world combined if we lose our sharks. But we should.

Sweet!!! I hate poachers,matter of fact the Operation game thief number is on my phone.
The biggest offenders in Texas are Orientals and Mexicans,they'll keep anything.
I've watched em throw cast nets and keep three inch reds and flounder.
You are advocating shooting deal people who don't throw back fish? Obviously because they are not 'white' Americans. I know you think this is a joke, but it is a sick one and you are disgusting.

Sweet!!! I hate poachers,matter of fact the Operation game thief number is on my phone.
The biggest offenders in Texas are Orientals and Mexicans,they'll keep anything.
You are advocating shooting deal people who don't throw back fish? Obviously because they are not 'white' Americans. I know you think this is a joke, but it is a sick one and you are disgusting.

Much of the outrage people display over things like this is hypocritical. How many bugs do they step on walking around? Is their outrage dependent upon being able to see the animal, or it being cute and cuddly? Do they eat meat? Do they patronize stores or businesses which exploit animals in some way? Wouldn't that make their whole position utterly worthless?

I don't, as a rule, like hunting or fishing. But I conceed as a unrepentent omnivore I enjoy eating the flesh of other animals. This means since I'm unwilling to go into Nature and kill a living animal to enduldge this sick and twisted enjoyment I condone someone else doing it. But am forced to accept my position is morally worse than the hunter's. The hunter at least accepts responsibility and takes it upon themself, not forcing another to do it, in order to eat flesh. Whereas I make other people support my doing so.

Poaching is simply hunting in some illegal way. But if you would condemn poaching, what about hunting legally? Why is your indignation present in one instance but not the other? What difference does it make to the animal what motive the hunter has be it food or profit. Still a dead animal. If that's bad, then all acts leading to a dead animal must also be bad. Can't pick and choose which are acceptable without being a hypocrite.

Yes, because we can, doesn't mean we should. It is one thing if a species is detrimental to us, LIKE MUSLM TERRORISTS, and we should do everything in our power to eliminate every last one of them, but eradicating a species for it's TUSKS?.... LIVE without IVORY! Besides, as we can see in that video I posted, these are THINKING animals, with HUMAN TENDENCIES, of emotion, devotion, and LOVE.... Please, use your HEART as well as your head when you open your mouth!

Much of the outrage people display over things like this is hypocritical. How many bugs do they step on walking around? Is their outrage dependent upon being able to see the animal, or it being cute and cuddly? Do they eat meat? Do they patronize stores or businesses which exploit animals in some way? Wouldn't that make their whole position utterly worthless?
What the fuck are you talking about? He's advocating shooting people, and you are talking about stepping on insects? Are you sane?

Yes, because we can, doesn't mean we should. It is one thing if a species is detrimental to us, LIKE MUSLM TERRORISTS, and we should do everything in our power to eliminate every last one of them, but eradicating a species for it's TUSKS?.... LIVE without IVORY! Besides, as we can see in that video I posted, these are THINKING animals, with HUMAN TENDENCIES, of emotion, devotion, and LOVE.... Please, use your HEART as well as your head when you open your mouth!

Far more to be concerned and worried about about our own government than any terrorist group. At least a terror group's murdering of people is pretty overt and known. But by way of various government policies and practices far more are effected to their detriment than anything all the terror groups on the planet added together have ever done. Knock on wood, but no terror group yet has nuclear weapons. Not only do supposedly "good" governments have nuclear weapons, but our's remains the only nation in history to use them in anger. Twice.

First of all,whats a deal people?
And second,where did I advocate shooting them?
In your rush to pull out the race card you've made a fool of yourself yet again.

What the fuck are you talking about? He's advocating shooting people, and you are talking about stepping on insects? Are you sane?

No, it's pretty clear you're the insane one. For I never once advocated shooting anyone.
WATCH OUT!!! There's a racist behind that tree!!!

Far more to be concerned and worried about about our own government than any terrorist group. At least a terror group's murdering of people is pretty overt and known. But by way of various government policies and practices far more are effected to their detriment than anything all the terror groups on the planet added together have ever done. Knock on wood, but no terror group yet has nuclear weapons. Not only do supposedly "good" governments have nuclear weapons, but our's remains the only nation in history to use them in anger. Twice.

After we get rid of the IMMEDIATE PROBLEM of people PHYSICALLY KILLING US, we can concentrate of the subversive scum within our government and their enablers!...No Terror Group, what do you call N.Korea, or for that matter Communist China?...Because we do business with both, and one on a limited basis, means the nut cases won't go completely mad? We are supposedly talking elephants here, let's get back on topic, and take THIS to another thread!

No, it's pretty clear you're the insane one. For I never once advocated shooting anyone.
WATCH OUT!!! There's a racist behind that tree!!!
It was a typo: real people.

Wow. I'm not insane and I'm not lacking in awareness either. You read a post about shooting poachers and comment on how sweet it is, and then you make a joke about Mexican and Oriental poachers. Now you say your intentions are completely innocent and you are not being racist and not advocating shooting people? Really? If you don't know what you are doing, then you are a complete moron. I mean, who do the fuck do you think you're kidding? Get real.

Sometimes I get mad when I'm fishing and I think about the rules. I have to pay the government to catch a fucking fish? How free are we then? Reminds me of back in England when you'd get killed if they caught you hunting on the kings land.

What if an American is poor and hungry and wants fish tonight instead of dog food?

I completely get why we have DNR but sometimes it doesn't make any sense. At least on the lake I live on there are no DNR. I don't know why they never come out but they don't. And the cop on the lake doesn't ask or care about fishing licences. He only cares about life jackets, are you drunk, do you have a registration etc. But most of us just catch and release. I just don't like it that a poor person could get a $100 ticket for trying to eat.

Forum List

Back