Zone1 Please learn CPR. It can save lives.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
MS State head coach Mike Leach is in ICU in critical condition after having suffered a heart attack. According to various news outlets, he went 10 to 15 minutes without medical care.

From Medprep.com
"Every year, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) saves thousands of lives. The greatest tragedy of cardiac arrests, one of the causes of death where CPR can intervene, is they are often preventable deaths—nearly forty-five percent of those who would have died of cardiac arrest survive when someone, whether a trained professional or passing good samaritan, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation."

The classes are taught all over. It would not take long to find one. Sign up. Learn the skill.

The newest training is Compression Only CPR. No mouth-to-mouth, just rapid, forceful compressions to keep the blood pumping.

When I taught the CPR/AED/1st Aid classes some years ago, the biggest objection I heard to performing CPR was that they didn't want to do it wrong and cause harm or make it worse. Here is a little tip if that is what you think. You perform CPR when there is no pulse (heart stopped) and they are not breathing. The medical term for someone without a heartbeat and who is not breathing is Dead. They won't get Deader. But they might survive if you start quickly.

After a heart attack, every minute medical care is delayed lowers survival chances by 10%.

There's something we've in common WB
~S~
That is a good thing to have in common.

I was a safety trainer (among other things) for 20+ years at my company. I was always enthusiastic about teaching CPR. Not for the job. For your family & friends.

Nah, you will remember your training and go like a pro

Well, we can hope so, lol!

I've actually been pretty good in the emergencies I've experienced-except for the one that involved me and the neighbors wolfie dog.

I froze like it was a t-rex that couldn't see me if I didn't move.

That is a good thing to have in common.

I was a safety trainer (among other things) for 20+ years at my company. I was always enthusiastic about teaching CPR. Not for the job. For your family & friends.
Indeed so WB. I was both ARC and AHA at various points in my former career. We were involved in many a community outreach , much predicated on the fact that nothing is close in the rural contingent

~S~

nearly forty-five percent of those who would have died of cardiac arrest survive when someone, whether a trained professional or passing good samaritan, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation."
That's complete bullshit. Sure, it might be 45% effective on TV shows, but not in real life.

I've worked as a paramedic/firefighter.

It rarely works. Especially if it's a drug overdose or there is excessive bleeding. It's not magic.

And you are going to break their ribs if you're doing it right.

That's complete bullshit. Sure, it might be 45% effective on TV shows, but not in real life.

I've worked as a paramedic/firefighter.

It rarely works. Especially if it's a drug overdose or there is excessive bleeding. It's not magic.

Drug overdoses and excessive bleeding are exceptions.

CPR does work. It keeps the blood pumping until better medical help can get there.

One thing, it is damn sure better than just standing there staring at the dead body.

MS State head coach Mike Leach is in ICU in critical condition after having suffered a heart attack. According to various news outlets, he went 10 to 15 minutes without medical care.

From Medprep.com
"Every year, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) saves thousands of lives. The greatest tragedy of cardiac arrests, one of the causes of death where CPR can intervene, is they are often preventable deaths—nearly forty-five percent of those who would have died of cardiac arrest survive when someone, whether a trained professional or passing good samaritan, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation."

The classes are taught all over. It would not take long to find one. Sign up. Learn the skill.

Sadly, with that length of time his prognosis isn't good.

That being said I learned CPR well over 4 decades ago.

So far I haven't had to use it. But I am ready if needed!

Sadly, with that length of time his prognosis isn't good.

That being said I learned CPR well over 4 decades ago.

So far I haven't had to use it. But I am ready if needed!

It is not a complicated skill. I have never used it either. I have used the Heimlich maneuver several times, and done first aid to stop bleeding. But I know it if I need it.

It is not a complicated skill. I have never used it either. I have used the Heimlich maneuver several times, and done first aid to stop bleeding. But I know it if I need it.

I used the Heimlich to save my, at the time, 2 year old son. One of the scariest and happiest days of my life.

Last edited:
Drug overdoses and excessive bleeding are exceptions.

CPR does work. It keeps the blood pumping until better medical help can get there.

One thing, it is damn sure better than just standing there staring at the dead body.
A couple months ago at a gas station where I get my coffee every morning, there is another customer who came in every morning about the same time.

Every time he would buy a 5 Hour Energy, an 3 large Monster Energy Drinks.

One morning I came in, I mentioned him to the cashier. She told me he was in the hospital. He was rushed that morning about 30 minutes before I got there.

She told me he had a heart attack and laid there unconscious while SHE -- a lowly cashier -- performed CPR.

He had heart surgery, and fully recovered.

Turns out his brother died of a heart attack not long ago. There was no one to help HIM. 😢

Yes, the survival statistics are low for those who have coded and make it to intensive care but ANY EFFORT can make a difference and as he said, they can't get deader so why not try? Most states have good Samaritans laws to protect average folks who are trying to help, even if their help made the situation worse in some way. If Leach was without a pulse for that long, he's likely vegetative.
My best friend's wife coded on a CT table a couple of years ago. The techs didn't notice this because she had just come in to the ER but had no cardiac monitoring in place, yet. She was without a pulse for about 5-7 minutes and was brain dead.

CPR won't save most people it is applied to. I'm certified in it by the way.

I dunno- a casual look see said CPR is pretty effective-

better than a poke in the eye, in any case.

Been CPR certified ever since my first tour in the Navy (since 1983), and recertified every year I was active duty.

I might need to go to a certification course again though, to learn the new way of doing CPR with no breathing assistance.

But, I'm pretty sure I could still help to save someone's life if needed. Not only do I know CPR, but also basic first aid, as that was one of the requirements for several billets I was in.

Forum List

Back