please help me find my starter motor

The Great Goose

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2015
My car is 1997 toyota Corolla. Because I'm old I know th starter motor is wrecked. Please boys, tell me where it is?

It's click click clik when I turn the key.

I love my little car, what looked after me.

starter motor....you scared me.....

The starter won't crank
If nothing happens when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position, it means that the starter motor doesn't turn over the engine. Most commonly this could be caused by a dead battery; here is How to check the battery.
If the battery checks out OK, but the starter still won't crank, there could be a number of possible reasons. Here are some of them:

The ignition switch could be bad - it's a common problem. An ignition switch is an electrical switch installed at the back of the ignition lock mechanism. If jiggling the key in the ignition helps start the car, the ignition switch should be checked first.
The starter solenoid control wire could have a bad connection.
The starter motor itself or a starter solenoid could be bad.
A neutral safety switch is bad. If a car doesn't start with the transmission in Park, but starts in Neutral, it could be caused by a problem with a neutral safety switch.
Read more about starting system.
A problem with vehicle's security system or some other electronic control module (e.g., ECM, BCM) may also prevent the starter from operating.

I can hear a click, but the starter won't crank
It's a very common problem: you turn the key to the "Start" position, but the engine won't crank; all you hear is a single click or repeated clicking coming from the engine compartment. This has happened to me many times. Very often this could be caused by a weak battery or poor connection at the battery terminals. Sometimes a battery cable can get corroded inside causing the same problem. In some cases a bad connection between the negative battery cable and the engine (bad ground) can cause the same symptoms.
Of course, there could be other reasons, but most often this happens when there is not enough electric current for the starter motor to turn over the engine.
See this paragraph: how to check the battery.
Also, check the battery terminals to make sure they are not corroded. Here is a photo how a corroded battery terminal looks: Car maintenance checklist: Battery
If the battery is OK and the battery terminals appear clean and not corroded, the starter solenoid, battery cables or the starter motor itself could be a problem. For example, a problem with the starter motor or solenoid is a fairly common cause for the 2000-2006 Ford Taurus not to start. Earlier models of this vehicle had some problems with starters too. A similar problem with the starter solenoid in 1998-2002 Toyota Corolla sometimes can also cause a condition when there is a click but the starter won't crank. Similarly, in 1998-2001 Toyota Camry a problem with the starter solenoid terminals could cause the condition where the starter would click, but would not crank. In either case the starter motor needs to be rebuilt. Read more here: Starter motor, starting system.

The engine cranks very slow and won't start
This also might be caused by weak or discharged battery; here is how to check the battery. If the battery is OK, the battery cables could have a bad connection at the terminals or the starter motor itself could have a problem. Sometimes, the starter motor armature bushings wear out and the starter armature rubs against the field coils inside the starter motor; this will also cause the starter motor to crank very slow. If this is the case, the starter motor will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Another reason, the engine could have an internal mechanical problem (e.g., lack of oil, very old engine oil, etc.). Check engine oil, just in case. Read here how to check engine oil.

Why a car won't start - troubleshooting tips

hope this helps and i hope your little car is okay

starter motor....you scared me.....

The starter won't crank
If nothing happens when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position, it means that the starter motor doesn't turn over the engine. Most commonly this could be caused by a dead battery; here is How to check the battery.
If the battery checks out OK, but the starter still won't crank, there could be a number of possible reasons. Here are some of them:

The ignition switch could be bad - it's a common problem. An ignition switch is an electrical switch installed at the back of the ignition lock mechanism. If jiggling the key in the ignition helps start the car, the ignition switch should be checked first.
The starter solenoid control wire could have a bad connection.
The starter motor itself or a starter solenoid could be bad.
A neutral safety switch is bad. If a car doesn't start with the transmission in Park, but starts in Neutral, it could be caused by a problem with a neutral safety switch.
Read more about starting system.
A problem with vehicle's security system or some other electronic control module (e.g., ECM, BCM) may also prevent the starter from operating.

It's a very common problem: you turn the key to the "Start" position, but the engine won't crank; all you hear is a single click or repeated clicking coming from the engine compartment. This has happened to me many times. Very often this could be caused by a weak battery or poor connection at the battery terminals. Sometimes a battery cable can get corroded inside causing the same problem. In some cases a bad connection between the negative battery cable and the engine (bad ground) can cause the same symptoms.
Of course, there could be other reasons, but most often this happens when there is not enough electric current for the starter motor to turn over the engine.
Also, check the battery terminals to make sure they are not corroded. Here is a photo how a corroded battery terminal looks: Car maintenance checklist: Battery
If the battery is OK and the battery terminals appear clean and not corroded, the starter solenoid, battery cables or the starter motor itself could be a problem. For example, a problem with the starter motor or solenoid is a fairly common cause for the 2000-2006 Ford Taurus not to start. Earlier models of this vehicle had some problems with starters too. A similar problem with the starter solenoid in 1998-2002 Toyota Corolla sometimes can also cause a condition when there is a click but the starter won't crank. Similarly, in 1998-2001 Toyota Camry a problem with the starter solenoid terminals could cause the condition where the starter would click, but would not crank. In either case the starter motor needs to be rebuilt. Read more here: Starter motor, starting system.

The engine cranks very slow and won't start
This also might be caused by weak or discharged battery; here is how to check the battery. If the battery is OK, the battery cables could have a bad connection at the terminals or the starter motor itself could have a problem. Sometimes, the starter motor armature bushings wear out and the starter armature rubs against the field coils inside the starter motor; this will also cause the starter motor to crank very slow. If this is the case, the starter motor will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Another reason, the engine could have an internal mechanical problem (e.g., lack of oil, very old engine oil, etc.). Check engine oil, just in case. Read here how to check engine oil.

Why a car won't start - troubleshooting tips

hope this helps and i hope your little car is okay
Ty stroling bones. I remember now the "solonoid"

I will try all those things. I'm tremendousl unconfident, but I'm doing anyway.

dont be unconfident....a car is fixable till it rusts apart...i assure you no one likes car repair....get a friend to help...best way is to mention that you need to borrow tools...and they will ask why....you explain....then look kinda sheepish...and hope they will volunteer to help...if that does not work....a home cooked meal will...best to deliver the homecooked meal....lol....sometimes men think that means sex....when it just means a home cooked meal
and if you get the part at advance they may help you in the parking lot...check with a national chain to see if they help etc and so forth...

just be careful....dont do stupid shit when working on the car....

Dump-people-2.png

Had this happen a few times over the years.
IIRC, it was always an old, weak battery that was at fault. Never had a problem starting when the car was left for a few minutes/couple of hours, but if it was sitting overnight, for example, it'd need a jump.
If the car's battery is over 4-5 years old, it could be the culprit.

Goose - if you do get the car started, you can get both the battery and charging system checked at places like Advance Auto and Auto Zone for free. They will even install (also for free) the battery for you if that turns out to be the problem.

I didn't look at the video posted to find it's location. If you can get to it take a wrench and tap the solenoid with someone else trying to start it..................Or tap it with the wrench and then go try. The Starter solenoid many times sticks when it is going out.....................

I'm not sure if you'd want to use the screwdriver method to see if it kicks over.............but you can take a screw driver and put in across the hot wire and the starter to fire it directly. In case you have other problems such as a bad ignition switch..............

The hot wire to the starter comes directly from the battery...........

A bad battery can also cause............You can have it checked at the local auto parts store.

o i know its common and i know no one likes to put money into a car...but you just got to listen to that old saying

if you are gonna ride...you are gonna pay...

winter is coming and she doesnt need to be doing the tap te tap unless she lives in the south

i will admit....i am older now....and dont really limp them along anymore....i use to love the adventure...of driving with no brakes cause your brake line just rusted....not anymore....i have driven without a working clutch in a standard....no....no more of that....driven in blizzards...o hell no...that is over....and the worst....was driving on a flat for over 30 miles...no other option...yes the spare was flat too...as i said...i use to love adventure lol

My car is 1997 toyota Corolla. Because I'm old I know th starter motor is wrecked. Please boys, tell me where it is?

Please, Please, Please. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE, REPAIR OR REPLACE STARTER ON YOUR OWN!!! I guarantee you don't have enough cuss words in your vocabulary to get past locating it. Watch this video and keep reminding yourself this is all 50 times harder than the mechanic makes it look. There will be so many things in the way you will end up dumping a 5 gallon jerry can of gas on your well loved gem and burning it and your garage to the ground. By the time you locate the first bolt you will be so coated with grimy oil and grease it will take 4 showers and 5 baths to get clean again. These horrors and more I promise you.
Isn't there a backyard mechanic in the neighborhood to help you out? Somebody already posted it hopefully could only be a bad battery, bad wire, bad connection on the battery or starter itself. Repeat! DON'T!! TRY!! TO!! DIY!!

Remember, it will all be 50 times harder 50 times dirtier 50 times more frustrating than this video suggests.

Please, Please, Please. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIAGNOSE, REMOVE, REPAIR OR REPLACE STARTER ON YOUR OWN!!! I guarantee you don't have enough cuss words in your vocabulary to get past locating it. Watch this video and keep reminding yourself this is all 50 times harder than the mechanic makes it look. There will be so many things in the way you will end up dumping a 5 gallon jerry can of gas on your well loved gem and burning it and your garage to the ground. By the time you locate the first bolt you will be so coated with grimy oil and grease it will take 4 showers and 5 baths to get clean again. These horrors and more I promise you.
Isn't there a backyard mechanic in the neighborhood to help you out? Somebody already posted it hopefully could only be a bad battery, bad wire, bad connection on the battery or starter itself. Repeat! DON'T!! TRY!! TO!! DIY!!

Remember, it will all be 50 times harder 50 times dirtier 50 times more frustrating than this video suggests.

P.S. Check this site Why a car won't start - troubleshooting tips

If the battery is OK and the battery terminals appear clean and not corroded, the starter solenoid, battery cables or the starter motor itself could be a problem. For example, a problem with the starter motor or solenoid is a fairly common cause for the 2000-2006 Ford Taurus not to start. Earlier models of this vehicle had some problems with starters too. A similar problem with the starter solenoid in 1998-2002 Toyota Corolla sometimes can also cause a condition when there is a click but the starter won't crank. Similarly, in 1998-2001 Toyota Camry a problem with the starter solenoid terminals could cause the condition where the starter would click, but would not crank. In either case the starter motor needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

do yall ever read posts......searcher if you look the same article was done earlier lol....

You got me, I confess, 1998 Toyota Corolla starters interest me about as much as your opinion does. So no I didn't read all the posts in the thread. Just trying to be helpful. If it's any solace to you I bet the OP will realize it's a duplicate and not waste her valuable time re-reading it.
And your lol tells me your third grade level sense of humor was engaged, so, voila! Everybody's good.

Try getting a jump first, then have it towed in or a mechanic come out. I have a 95 Employer and just had a remote starter put on. Keep the car until it rusts away. It can be fixed and is probably the battery. Good luck and keep us posted.

Get a little help and for God's sake put some cloths on. :D

Turn on your head lights and have someone watch when you try and start the vehicle. If they dim or go out then there is a problem in the charging system, aka the battery or connections. If the light stays pretty much the same then it is something in the starting system, aka the solenoid or the starter itself. The click tells me that the starting system is OK and the solenoid is kicking in. There just might not be enough juice left to turn the engine over.

Forum List

Back