Plan your garden now.

Discussion in 'Gardening and Landscaping' started by Muhammed, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,407
    I wish I could have chickens, but I am stuck driving about half an hour each way to get me some real fresh free range eggs when the farmer's market is closed :(

2. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,306
    If you start seedlings indoors it's important to gradually acclimate them for a couple of weeks before you plant them outdoors. They have to be hardened off or the wind, sun and wide temperature fluctuations can kill them.

I had that problem when I first started growing tomatoes. I'd transplant my seedlings outdoors and they would all die and I'd end up buying seedlings from a local greenhouse. Until a friend/neighbor who gardens told me what I was doing wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. FuzzyCat

FuzzyCat Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dekster, your problem with tomato starts sounds like "damping off"! Do you water from the bottom? Also, get a small fan and put it so it blows on the seedlings after they get their first true leaves...not only does it keep circulation going around them, it will also make them stronger seedlings.
    Yes, in most cases "hardening off" is required prior to planting outside. However, there are conditions that don't really require that...like mine.
    I have a garden house, not a true green house cause it has a tin roof. And I start my seeds in there without lights, only natural light through the windows. They sprout & grow in cooler conditions than inside under lights so don't really require hardening off for the cooler temps...but a couple of days outside first doesn't hurt to get adjusted to winds, etc. And any hardening off should be done with daily increases of sun exposure...not full sun all at once!
    I grow something nearly year round down here, so I don't do any "planning" to any degree...just plant what we will eat when it is time in my area.

4. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Roadrunner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Almost time to start watermelon seedlings!!!!

Made the first discing of the plots, waiting for the weather to warm and weeds to sprout before I disc again!!!

I love growing watermelons!!!!!

5. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    They don't grow so well here...But strawberries, Huckleberries, black berries and Mulberry trees grow great...Do you just grow red meat or do you grow the yellow meat melons?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    I read where egg shells crushed and put at the base of tomato plants will keep cabbage and cut worms away..have not tried it yet...

7. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    Mail order or from bags purchased...

8. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Roadrunner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    info@marijuana-seeds.nl

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. ILikePlants

ILikePlants Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As much as I think "climate change" is a load of manure. this .gov site has a nice breakdown of temperatures and zones. Planting your spring garden Consider climate s new normal NOAA Climate.gov
    I tend to do one every year, this year I'll be pressed for time, with the kid, wife work, health and returning to school. I'm going to experiment with some buckets, and inverted tomatoes and peppers. Just so that I have a little something going on. nothing labor intensive. This year will be an experiment and learning experience in how much work I can do to get out of doing work.

10. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,095
    I'm growing sweet corn in a growbox this year to see how it works. I actually thought of this idea about 12 years ago, didnt patent the idea, and now someone is making money off of it. The tomatoes I grew in the one I built were amazing. The tomato plant grew to almost 8ft tall.