Plan your garden now.

It ain't time to sow the garden or till the ground, wait at least until the next equinox, depending on location also....garlic should have been sown last fall...

Yes. I will be starting some tomatoes in about another week or two even though I have very mixed results growing them from seed.

Some of my relations do that but it's too much work for me, plus I'm not home enough to nurse them along. I'll get seedlings.

That's one thing I generally grow whether I have a garden tilled or not. Last year I kept 'em in pots. They did well.

I have been trying to grow tomatoes in pots since I was a kid. They just never do as well as in the ground for me. On the seedlings, it has been hit or miss. I have been doing it since I was about 12 and I have only had one year where they did super from seedling. I keep a good routine of care, but some years they are doing well and in the matter of a few days I will lose almost every one. Not sure what it is unless it is because I do not use a warming pad under them.

Lose them to what? Fungus? Just failure to thrive?

I never use any kind of warming pad. I just make sure they get enough water, re-pot into bigger containers as they need, and fertilize them. Tomato Tone is a good product. They seem to like fish emulsion too.

No clue. They just start keeling over.

No black rot spots?
Are they getting enough water? They drink a lot you know.

Tomatoes really aren't that hard -- they almost grow themselves as long as they have enough to drink. The only problems I've had here has been when it rained incessantly several days in a row and they got fungus. But that's easy to see happening.

They need all the sun you can give 'em too. I don't have a lot of sun here but I moved them around to follow the sun through the day when I was home and had them potted. They lived well into November.

What about your seed source? Have you tried another source?
I'm very particular about seeds but it's mostly to avoid any chance of Frankenseeds (GMO).
You can give tomato plants tobacco mosaic if you smoke around plants or handle them after smoking...

I never use any kind of warming pad. I just make sure they get enough water, re-pot into bigger containers as they need, and fertilize them. Tomato Tone is a good product. They seem to like fish emulsion too.

No black rot spots?

Tomatoes really aren't that hard -- they almost grow themselves as long as they have enough to drink. The only problems I've had here has been when it rained incessantly several days in a row and they got fungus. But that's easy to see happening.

They need all the sun you can give 'em too. I don't have a lot of sun here but I moved them around to follow the sun through the day when I was home and had them potted. They lived well into November.

I'm very particular about seeds but it's mostly to avoid any chance of Frankenseeds (GMO).

Two different issues:

I am mostly talking about starting seedlings inside that I plant outside when the weather warms. I have a baker's rake with grow lights above each shelf. I can usually get the seedlings to start and I keep them watered, but some years they just all start dying in mass and I end up buying tomato plants from the feed & seed. I have no idea why it happens but when it does, it usually happens about the time the leaves start to get their form to them. The only real problems I have with the plants that are planted in the ground itself have come in the form of deer as I used to not cage them as soon as I plant them (but now do), fruit busting open when we have had a lot of dry weather and then a lot of rain, and once my dog walked down a row behind me pulling up all the plants I had planted and broke the stems on most of them off.

As for pots, I have tried growing tomatoes in pots during the growing season outside in addition to those I plant in the ground. They are usually the extras I have after I run out of row space in the garden and do not feel like tilling any more to create more space. They end up leggy and do not produce much no matter how well I tend to them.

Ah so it's your seedlings that are dropping. I don't grow from seedlings (not tomatoes anyway). No idea there. That's part of why I buy seedlings (small plants a few inches tall) and go from there -- they're already past that stage. That, plus I just don't have the time.

The "leggy" plants that don't produce much does sound like a fertilizer issue. If you use general-purpose houseplant fertilizer you'll prolly get good foliage and not much fruit -- which may be OK for starting them to grow but after that you want fruit, not foliage. That's why I like Tomato Tone (3-4-6) -- it's formulated more for fruiting than just simply growing. Mine seem to like the occasional shot of fish emulsion too. They also like a slightly acidic soil (6.2 to 6.7 or so), which is a given around here but you might want to make sure you're in that range.

The ones in the pots I usually used Miracle grow dirt with the moisture control and miracle grow fertilizer maybe once or twice a season which is usually what I do with the in ground ones too. As for the actual ground soil, no worries about the ph--I live in red clay country. If there is one thing that can be said about our soil, it is that it is plenty acidic ;)

Miracle Grow potting soils suck.

You are better off buying the cheap topsoil and mixing it with the composted cow manure that is available at Wal-mart.

Use some peat, some lime.

Much better and much cheaper.

For that matter, a tablespoon of Triple 13 from a sack is not much different from a tablespoon of Miracle Grow Regular, which is Triple 15.

In short, Miracle Grow is an expensive scam.

Some of my relations do that but it's too much work for me, plus I'm not home enough to nurse them along. I'll get seedlings.

That's one thing I generally grow whether I have a garden tilled or not. Last year I kept 'em in pots. They did well.

I have been trying to grow tomatoes in pots since I was a kid. They just never do as well as in the ground for me. On the seedlings, it has been hit or miss. I have been doing it since I was about 12 and I have only had one year where they did super from seedling. I keep a good routine of care, but some years they are doing well and in the matter of a few days I will lose almost every one. Not sure what it is unless it is because I do not use a warming pad under them.

No black rot spots?

You can give tomato plants tobacco mosaic if you smoke around plants or handle them after smoking...
I buy one Husky Red Cherry and one Grape Tomato early.

I put them under a 24 hour grow light, and take cuttings.

I had nine plants last year, and made tens of thousands of tiny, tasty tomatoes.

90% of what I grow goes to critters.

Crows love me, and there is always one watching over me.

If I put out tablescraps, they are on them in 2 minutes.

They even find brown eggs out in the brown grass.

I'd worry about the food I buy and then throw away, if it didn't keep the critters so happy.

Crows love them some eggs!!!

It ain't time to sow the garden or till the ground, wait at least until the next equinox, depending on location also....garlic should have been sown last fall...
Greer's Almanac.

Plant by one for your region.

And plant weed on February 6, Bob Marley's birthday.

From seed that is, do not set out plants that early.

No black rot spots?

Yup. When I worked in a greenhouse they were really strict about smokers washing their hands etc.

Greer's Almanac.

Ya, where you gonna git dem seeds, mon?

Greer's Almanac.

Google marijuana seed banks rated.

There are many good ones.

No black rot spots?

Two different issues:

I am mostly talking about starting seedlings inside that I plant outside when the weather warms. I have a baker's rake with grow lights above each shelf. I can usually get the seedlings to start and I keep them watered, but some years they just all start dying in mass and I end up buying tomato plants from the feed & seed. I have no idea why it happens but when it does, it usually happens about the time the leaves start to get their form to them. The only real problems I have with the plants that are planted in the ground itself have come in the form of deer as I used to not cage them as soon as I plant them (but now do), fruit busting open when we have had a lot of dry weather and then a lot of rain, and once my dog walked down a row behind me pulling up all the plants I had planted and broke the stems on most of them off.

As for pots, I have tried growing tomatoes in pots during the growing season outside in addition to those I plant in the ground. They are usually the extras I have after I run out of row space in the garden and do not feel like tilling any more to create more space. They end up leggy and do not produce much no matter how well I tend to them.

Ah so it's your seedlings that are dropping. I don't grow from seedlings (not tomatoes anyway). No idea there. That's part of why I buy seedlings (small plants a few inches tall) and go from there -- they're already past that stage. That, plus I just don't have the time.

The "leggy" plants that don't produce much does sound like a fertilizer issue. If you use general-purpose houseplant fertilizer you'll prolly get good foliage and not much fruit -- which may be OK for starting them to grow but after that you want fruit, not foliage. That's why I like Tomato Tone (3-4-6) -- it's formulated more for fruiting than just simply growing. Mine seem to like the occasional shot of fish emulsion too. They also like a slightly acidic soil (6.2 to 6.7 or so), which is a given around here but you might want to make sure you're in that range.

The ones in the pots I usually used Miracle grow dirt with the moisture control and miracle grow fertilizer maybe once or twice a season which is usually what I do with the in ground ones too. As for the actual ground soil, no worries about the ph--I live in red clay country. If there is one thing that can be said about our soil, it is that it is plenty acidic ;)

Miracle Grow potting soils suck.

You are better off buying the cheap topsoil and mixing it with the composted cow manure that is available at Wal-mart.

Use some peat, some lime.

Much better and much cheaper.

For that matter, a tablespoon of Triple 13 from a sack is not much different from a tablespoon of Miracle Grow Regular, which is Triple 15.

In short, Miracle Grow is an expensive scam.

I try to avoid peat moss when I can though it is mixed in a lot of bagged potting soil, because of the environmental aspect of peat depletion.

I had nine plants last year, and made tens of thousands of tiny, tasty tomatoes.

I'd worry about the food I buy and then throw away, if it didn't keep the critters so happy.

I wish I could have chickens, but I am stuck driving about half an hour each way to get me some real fresh free range eggs when the farmer's market is closed :(

I mean it. I know it is several months until it's time to sew, so this is prime planning time.

Anyone here grow their own gardens?

Yes. I will be starting some tomatoes in about another week or two even though I have very mixed results growing them from seed.

If you start seedlings indoors it's important to gradually acclimate them for a couple of weeks before you plant them outdoors. They have to be hardened off or the wind, sun and wide temperature fluctuations can kill them.

I had that problem when I first started growing tomatoes. I'd transplant my seedlings outdoors and they would all die and I'd end up buying seedlings from a local greenhouse. Until a friend/neighbor who gardens told me what I was doing wrong.

Dekster, your problem with tomato starts sounds like "damping off"! Do you water from the bottom? Also, get a small fan and put it so it blows on the seedlings after they get their first true leaves...not only does it keep circulation going around them, it will also make them stronger seedlings.
Yes, in most cases "hardening off" is required prior to planting outside. However, there are conditions that don't really require that...like mine.
I have a garden house, not a true green house cause it has a tin roof. And I start my seeds in there without lights, only natural light through the windows. They sprout & grow in cooler conditions than inside under lights so don't really require hardening off for the cooler temps...but a couple of days outside first doesn't hurt to get adjusted to winds, etc. And any hardening off should be done with daily increases of sun exposure...not full sun all at once!
I grow something nearly year round down here, so I don't do any "planning" to any degree...just plant what we will eat when it is time in my area.

I mean it. I know it is several months until it's time to sew, so this is prime planning time.

If you start seedlings indoors it's important to gradually acclimate them for a couple of weeks before you plant them outdoors. They have to be hardened off or the wind, sun and wide temperature fluctuations can kill them.

I had that problem when I first started growing tomatoes. I'd transplant my seedlings outdoors and they would all die and I'd end up buying seedlings from a local greenhouse. Until a friend/neighbor who gardens told me what I was doing wrong.
Almost time to start watermelon seedlings!!!!

Made the first discing of the plots, waiting for the weather to warm and weeds to sprout before I disc again!!!

I love growing watermelons!!!!!

Almost time to start watermelon seedlings!!!!

Made the first discing of the plots, waiting for the weather to warm and weeds to sprout before I disc again!!!

I love growing watermelons!!!!!
They don't grow so well here...But strawberries, Huckleberries, black berries and Mulberry trees grow great...Do you just grow red meat or do you grow the yellow meat melons?

Last edited:

No black rot spots?

I read where egg shells crushed and put at the base of tomato plants will keep cabbage and cut worms away..have not tried it yet...

Greer's Almanac.

Mail order or from bags purchased...

Greer's Almanac.

Mail order or from bags purchased...
[email protected]

As much as I think "climate change" is a load of manure. this .gov site has a nice breakdown of temperatures and zones. Planting your spring garden Consider climate s new normal NOAA Climate.gov
I tend to do one every year, this year I'll be pressed for time, with the kid, wife work, health and returning to school. I'm going to experiment with some buckets, and inverted tomatoes and peppers. Just so that I have a little something going on. nothing labor intensive. This year will be an experiment and learning experience in how much work I can do to get out of doing work.

I'm growing sweet corn in a growbox this year to see how it works. I actually thought of this idea about 12 years ago, didnt patent the idea, and now someone is making money off of it. The tomatoes I grew in the one I built were amazing. The tomato plant grew to almost 8ft tall.

Forum List

Back