Pizza joint vs professor

Director of KC Federal Reserve Bank. Book author, mathematician, Vice President of Pillsbury. Board of Directors for 4 major companies, CEO of the Nat. Restaurant Association.

Bit more than a Pizza place, and yes at least as qualified as a professor. Especially one so clearly out of his Depths on so many issues.

Harvard Law graduate, president Harvard Law Review, lawyer, Professor of Constitutional law, book author (like that matters), state senator, US senator.

And look at what good all of those credentials have done. Obama is the most incompetent president in American history.

Ohh I think he compares pretty well to our last president.
At least he does think about his decisions unlike our last president who is on record stating that he did not like to think about his decisions.

So, would you rather a candidates major experience be running and leading businesses in the real world........or sitting in a closed environment full of stuck up academias who bloviate on how the world should work without actually taking part in it?

I'll now await a left winger to point out how "Screwing America up even more than it was" is somehow a positive on Obama's resume.

Academics.

If I want to run a business, I'll hire a businessmen knowledgeable in the operations and market of that business.

If I want to run a war, I'll want somebody who's made it their mission to understand military science

But if I want to run a nation?

I'll want someboy trained to think about issues involving society and national issues as a whole.

William F. Buckley Jr. once said that he would rather be governed by the first 100 names in the Boston phone directory than by the entire faculty of Harvard University.

Which is quite ironic because Mr Buckley never ran a normal business and spent his entire career as a Yale-schooled academic writing and editing.

To understand his Harvard comment you need to understand his allegiance to Yale. It wasn't a swipe at education per se.

Director of KC Federal Reserve Bank. Book author, mathematician, Vice President of Pillsbury. Board of Directors for 4 major companies, CEO of the Nat. Restaurant Association.

Bit more than a Pizza place, and yes at least as qualified as a professor. Especially one so clearly out of his Depths on so many issues.

Harvard Law graduate, president Harvard Law Review, lawyer, Professor of Constitutional law, book author (like that matters), state senator, US senator. Oops, looks like he didn't make any pizzas. I guess the rest of his resume will have to be good enough.

Joey....hasn't he proven to you that none of those words mean anything???

You don't find him to be incompetent??
What would it take for you to accept that you made a mistake??

Harvard Law graduate, president Harvard Law Review, lawyer, Professor of Constitutional law, book author (like that matters), state senator, US senator. Oops, looks like he didn't make any pizzas. I guess the rest of his resume will have to be good enough.

Joey....hasn't he proven to you that none of those words mean anything???

You don't find him to be incompetent??
What would it take for you to accept that you made a mistake??

Nothing..... it's form over function every time with these folks.

So, would you rather a candidates major experience be running and leading businesses in the real world........or sitting in a closed environment full of stuck up academias who bloviate on how the world should work without actually taking part in it?

I'll now await a left winger to point out how "Screwing America up even more than it was" is somehow a positive on Obama's resume.

Academics.

If I want to run a business, I'll hire a businessmen knowledgeable in the operations and market of that business.

If I want to run a war, I'll want somebody who's made it their mission to understand military science

I'll want someboy trained to think about issues involving society and national issues as a whole.

There's a big difference between book knowledge/theoretical thinking and practical application. Anyone who has been to college can tell you there is a no comparison between a professor without real world experience and a professor with. One can tell you how it's supposed to work and one can tell you and demonstrate how it actually does. President Obama is the former.

I take it you never went to college and really think that is what happens there.

No wonder your ideas are so tainted with historical failure

Actually, I went to a couple of pretty good colleges....and can bear witness to the left wing pap that passes for political truth....

You have elected as President a radical Leftist, and, as though that weren't bad enough, an incompetent who doesn't realize how far over his head the job is.

I can accept the fact that you are afraid to admit how wrong you were, are, but shouldn't the President recognize what he owes the nation, and change course?

Last edited:

would you trust one who is a professor of aviation and avionics to fly you and your family in a plane at night using all electreonics and instruments to navigate if he had never flown a plane before?

Academics.

This.

Part of the problem is that folks think running a business is preparation for running a nation. It isn't. Truth be told, there is no job you can have, other than being the President, to prepare you for being President. The job has too many aspects to it. The Foreign Policy in's and out's alone are boggling to the mind.

The single most important quality I look for in a candidate is the ability to pick good advisers and learn quickly on the job. That makes me lean towards the academic, rather than the business men.

For the record, the posts in this thread aren't that surprising. Big surprise that a lot of the folks who are anti-education are the folks well known for posting little more than swear words and name calling. Big surprise.

Vision.

It's the vision of the man, more than background.

That's why a former actor was so much better a President than a Harvard grad.

Academics.

This.

Part of the problem is that folks think running a business is preparation for running a nation. It isn't. Truth be told, there is no job you can have, other than being the President, to prepare you for being President. The job has too many aspects to it. The Foreign Policy in's and out's alone are boggling to the mind.

The single most important quality I look for in a candidate is the ability to pick good advisers and learn quickly on the job. That makes me lean towards the academic, rather than the business men.

For the record, the posts in this thread aren't that surprising. Big surprise that a lot of the folks who are anti-education are the folks well known for posting little more than swear words and name calling. Big surprise.

Vision.

Ahh you mean the guy who more than doubled the national debt during his presidency?
And we went from a creditor to a debtor nation under his rule?

Last edited:

I take it you never went to college and really think that is what happens there.

Actually, it appears that you never went to college...because that is EXACTLY what goes on there. Professors teach what they have learned...very few have actually practiced and THEN went to teaching.

The fact that you are not aware of this proves to me that you have not experienced higher education......confirming other sentiments I have about you.

Academics.

This.

99% of a business man's success lies in picking the right group of experts to advise him. For someone so "pro education", that was a really ignorant statement.

Academics.

This.

Vision.

No, it's the advisers, and the ability to recognize and take good advice even when it clashes with your own personal beliefs.

Reagan was surrounded by some of the smartest guys in the room. His cabinet level folks read like a who's who of intelligent political operatives. So yeah, Reagan checked his beliefs at the door from time to time when his advisers, who he trusted, asked him too, but he also knew when to disregard their advice.

Obama's biggest problem is that he seems to lack the leadership ability to say no to bad advice or to recognize good advice. Plus his inner circle is starting to look more like the Apple Dumpling Gang and less like knowledgeable advisers. He's just a bad leader.

The ability to examine and consider a thought or idea that conflicts with your own personal belief is something I see more in academics, and hence why I lean towards choosing an academic for the office. I've yet to see a really compelling argument that running a business is preparation for being the leader of the Free World. The larger world doesn't run on business principles. It never has and never will. Assuming it does is pretty much the first step to failure.

Academics.

I disagree.

I want someone who thinks like those that he will govern.

When we are in a recession, I would like a president who thinks like a businessman.

My sistrer in law is a claculus teacher in a high school. She is likely the best there is as she has received many academic awards...and highly regarded by her students and recognized by the county school system.

I, too, know calculus...and cant hold a candle to her...I respect her for that.

However, my son asked her to apply it to a project he was involved in....building a suspension bridge to scale that had to support a certain weight (to scale)....

She could not figure out how to apply her in depth knowledge of calculus....something his engineering professor said NEEDED to be done for his project to be successful.

Curious....your way of thinking....how did that pan out for us?

This.

Vision.

No, it's the advisers, and the ability to recognize and take good advice even when it clashes with your own personal beliefs.

Reagan was surrounded by some of the smartest guys in the room. His cabinet level folks read like a who's who of intelligent political operatives. So yeah, Reagan checked his beliefs at the door from time to time when his advisers, who he trusted, asked him too, but he also knew when to disregard their advice.

Obama's biggest problem is that he seems to lack the leadership ability to say no to bad advice or to recognize good advice. Plus his inner circle is starting to look more like the Apple Dumpling Gang and less like knowledgeable advisers. He's just a bad leader.

The ability to examine and consider a thought or idea that conflicts with your own personal belief is something I see more in academics, and hence why I lean towards choosing an academic for the office. I've yet to see a really compelling argument that running a business is preparation for being the leader of the Free World. The larger world doesn't run on business principles. It never has and never will. Assuming it does is pretty much the first step to failure.

there is actually a bigger problem.

We, the people.

When his advisers said "we misread the economy..it was worse than we realized when we asked for that trillion dollars of stimulus money"...we the people responded with .."oh, well that explains it"

Maybe we the people should have said "then get rid of your incompetent advisers...afterall, it was their job to read the condition of the economy"

When his advisers said "the shovel ready jobs werent shovel ready enough"....we the people said "oh, that explains it"

Maybe we the people should have said "then get rid of your incometent advisers...it was their job to make sure money was given to truly shovel ready jobs."

The problem is, the people want "their man" to do well and as a result, they let him slide with every dam excuse.

Harvard Law graduate, president Harvard Law Review, lawyer, Professor of Constitutional law, book author (like that matters), state senator, US senator.

And look at what good all of those credentials have done. Obama is the most incompetent president in American history.

Let's see. He avoided the next Great Depression; credit card and financial reform; health care reform; ended DADT; fair pay for women (the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act); saved Detroit; pulled out of Iraq; stepped it up in Afghanistan - decimating AQ, including killing Bin Laden.

That's just off the top of my head. He has accomplished much more than that.

How incompetent of him.

Wow... I never knew his resume was that bad... So he has literally never worked.

Says TM, the non college grad... No job and no business...

This is funny as heck, the right want a non corrupt govt and a smaller govt and they want an ex corporate lobbyist as president?

Let's see. He avoided the next Great Depression; credit card and financial reform; health care reform; ended DADT; fair pay for women (the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act); saved Detroit; pulled out of Iraq; stepped it up in Afghanistan - decimating AQ, including killing Bin Laden.

That's just off the top of my head. He has accomplished much more than that.

How incompetent of him.

whoa..whoa...whoa...

He did not avoid the great depression. He did what anyone with a half a brain could do...borrowed a trillion dollars and scattered it around.

Credit card and financial reform? What did he do? Congress did that.
Health care reform? Still in the courts....split over whether or not it is a viable law....and still has not been determined if it will work....and if it will be deficit neutral...AS WAS WHAT HE PROMISED.

Saved Detroit? Uh...excuse me....you and I savced detroit. All he did was take our money and give it to them.

Pulled out of Iraq? Easy to do for anyone....lets see if it was successful...or will we see Iraq fall....

The point I am making is this....

If hge took us from a depression without adding to our debt? Then he did something special.
If health care reform was bipartisan, did not add to the deficit and did not have constitutionlaiuty questions.....THEN it is a great law
If his withdrawal from Iraq results in a stable iraq anyway? THEN he did a great thing

Seems to me you are saying he did some great things. Exactly what did he do that, say, you couldnt have done?

Forum List

Back