Physical Education: Required or Optional?

Semper Fi said:
Grand idea! But wouldn't that suck for the coaches? I would hate to coach a group of unintersted kids. And believe me, being in a sport you don't want to be in really does negative wonders on ones state-of-mind. Nice idea though, I like it.
Well, I've thought about that. Kids should be able to choose which sports they participate in. Everybody's interested in something, no matter who you are. I just think it would be good for all kids to participate.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well, I've thought about that. Kids should be able to choose which sports they participate in. Everybody's interested in something, no matter who you are. I just think it would be good for all kids to participate.

YEAH theres something for everyone, u may have to transfer different schools to get that sport but u know.

This one has bothered me for a while. When I was in HS, the PE (god forbid you say Gym, the teachers would go crazy) classes were so overpopulated that there was little efficient activity. We would basically get changed, grab a ball, dribble and talk to friends during the whole period.

I know that there is a problem with cultivating the healthy lifestyles of children, but when PE isn't being used effectively, why is it required? I do not think that it should be-- I could've used that spot in my schedule to fill it with an elective that would've benefitted me academically.

Any thoughts on whether or not it should be required?

No, I was on the football team. Played guard as a junior and center during my senior year. Went both ways back in the day.

If I were the Emperor of Schools, I think I would require that all students participate in some physical activity for at least half hour per day. If they participate in an active interscholastic sport, that could count toward the requirement. Otherwise, they could choose from a laundry list of activities including intramural sports, walking, running, swimming, weightlifting, calisthenics, martial arts, yoga, or anything else that the PE teacher deemed suitable. Scheduling would of course depend on the available facilities, and would have to be integrated into other classes. Teachers' aides would monitor the participation, intensity, and time.

The real challenge would be allowing time for preparation and cleanup, which is why I suggest only half-hour.

If I were the Emperor of Schools, I think I would require that all students participate in some physical activity for at least half hour per day. If they participate in an active interscholastic sport, that could count toward the requirement. Otherwise, they could choose from a laundry list of activities including intramural sports, walking, running, swimming, weightlifting, calisthenics, martial arts, yoga, or anything else that the PE teacher deemed suitable. Scheduling would of course depend on the available facilities, and would have to be integrated into other classes. Teachers' aides would monitor the participation, intensity, and time.

The real challenge would be allowing time for preparation and cleanup, which is why I suggest only half-hour.

If it's teachers aides monitoring then you're talking about recess--it doesn't count toward instructional minutes in the day. In most states now you have to have a certain number of minutes of "instructional time" every school day--this only counts if you're in the presence of a certified teacher.

No disrespect meant but this is what happens when people pontificate about the schools all the livelong day but have no real idea of what they're talking about. Or they think everything is the same as they remember it 40 years ago.

This one has bothered me for a while. When I was in HS, the PE (god forbid you say Gym, the teachers would go crazy) classes were so overpopulated that there was little efficient activity. We would basically get changed, grab a ball, dribble and talk to friends during the whole period.

I know that there is a problem with cultivating the healthy lifestyles of children, but when PE isn't being used effectively, why is it required? I do not think that it should be-- I could've used that spot in my schedule to fill it with an elective that would've benefitted me academically.

Any thoughts on whether or not it should be required?

No, I was on the football team. Played guard as a junior and center during my senior year. Went both ways back in the day.

We really don't care about your sex life. TMI!

Teacher's aides? What are those?

Forum List

Back