Physical Education: Required or Optional?

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
This one has bothered me for a while. When I was in HS, the PE (god forbid you say Gym, the teachers would go crazy) classes were so overpopulated that there was little efficient activity. We would basically get changed, grab a ball, dribble and talk to friends during the whole period.

I know that there is a problem with cultivating the healthy lifestyles of children, but when PE isn't being used effectively, why is it required? I do not think that it should be-- I could've used that spot in my schedule to fill it with an elective that would've benefitted me academically.

Any thoughts on whether or not it should be required?

liberalogic said:
This one has bothered me for a while. When I was in HS, the PE (god forbid you say Gym, the teachers would go crazy) classes were so overpopulated that there was little efficient activity. We would basically get changed, grab a ball, dribble and talk to friends during the whole period.

I know that there is a problem with cultivating the healthy lifestyles of children, but when PE isn't being used effectively, why is it required? I do not think that it should be-- I could've used that spot in my schedule to fill it with an elective that would've benefitted me academically.

While I think kids, like adults should excercise and be active daily, the whole argument that fewer PE classes have any connection to obesity in children is a joke. Seldom are the 'classes' schedualed for longer than 50 minutes, including attendence, changing clothes, shoes-2X, getting water, explaining the 'routine', etc. If they get in 15-20 minutes of sustained pulse rate, they are one of the 'talented kids' that play the whole time. Once again, we are at a parent problem.

Let the kids come home, play until dinner, eat, homework, bathe, read and to bed. Whoops, no tv, computer, videogame time until the weekend!

liberalogic said:

The school system of today is not what it was when I attended school...When I played football and ran track it was considered PE for credit..
It seems not to be the case for today...My Grandaughter received a F for the quarter grade in PE even though she was on the Cross country Team who placed second in the State finals...Her PE coach was mad at her because she passed over on playing VolleyBall this season and ran Cross country instead with another coach...She was tired after practice and did not dress down for the PE class 'one time' and the PE teacher gave her a F for the quarter grade...needlees to say this was corrected by the Principle for the Semester grading( thank God)...Nowdays,at least in our school district, being on a sport team is separate from regular PE( they get to list as extracurricular activity for college resume but not credit for PE)...this was not the case when I attended school... so I can relate to your disassociation with the current system!

archangel said:
The school system of today is not what it was when I attended school...When I played football and ran track it was considered PE for credit..
It seems not to be the case for today...My Grandaughter received a F for the quarter grade in PE even though she was on the Cross country Team who placed second in the State finals...Her PE coach was mad at her because she passed over on playing VolleyBall this season and ran Cross country instead with another coach...She was tired after practice and did not dress down for the PE class 'one time' and the PE teacher gave her a F for the quarter grade...needlees to say this was corrected by the Principle for the Semester grading( thank God)...Nowdays,at least in our school district, being on a sport team is separate from regular PE( they get to list as extracurricular activity for college resume but not credit for PE)...this was not the case when I attended school... so I can relate to your disassociation with the current system!

In our school district, high school district ;) , those playing a sport are excused from traditional PE classes, other than health and driver's ed. During their PE time, they do 'conditioning' for their sport, with their team sports therapist. Marching band is the only 'team' this does not pertain to and I don't understand why!

liberalogic said:

Gym was a waste of time when I was in school. All I got out of it was 3 stitches in the elbow and a scare.

When I was in school (pre middle school era) HS was 8-12.
In 8th you had to take Gym, after that you could sub JROTC for Gym.
That’s what I did 9-12. When I enlisted in the Army, I enlisted as a PFC not just a recruit, because of it.

Those 4 years in ROTC were much more productive than bouncing a ball, for me.

Kathianne said:
In our school district, high school district ;) , those playing a sport are excused from traditional PE classes, other than health and driver's ed. During their PE time, they do 'conditioning' for their sport, with their team sports therapist. Marching band is the only 'team' this does not pertain to and I don't understand why!

When I was in HS the sports teams as well as Cheerleaders,Drill Team and Marching band received credit and grades for PE...did not have to attended regular PE classes as these activities were accepted in lieu of...I really do not understand todays concept....

archangel said:
When I was in HS the sports teams as well as Cheerleaders,Drill Team and Marching band received credit and grades for PE...did not have to attended regular PE classes as these activities were accepted in lieu of...I really do not understand todays concept....
Conditioning has been a big part of sports for I don't know how long. Even in gymnastics when I competed a long time ago. Keeps injuries down, supposedly says moi, with arthritis in every long-ago injured part of my person...

At my high school, you only had to take PE for one trimester during high school and them you were through. However, unlike traditional PE classes, we did something more productive. Instead of basketball, the teacher taught us the importance of a balanced diet, the importance and ways to exercise, why sleep is nessicary, stress relief and other topics actually related to physical wellness. The rest of the year everyone was required to take an afterschool sport or fitness class for at least one hour, however; efforts were made to prevent bullying. The varsity football players could do their thing will other, lighter courses like yoga, a fitness program, and other sports were also avaibable to the less physically active. If there was a scheduling conflict, some sports were avaibable in the morning and of course if you had a medical excuse you did not have to attend. This way everyone was actually physically active everyday and knew how to take care of themselves. Cost was migitated by offering the programs in conjunction with the local community center.

Kathianne said:
Marching band is the only 'team' this does not pertain to and I don't understand why!

No doubt! Marching around a field carrying a tuba or puffing a horn is pretty decent exercise.

I think they should require some sort of PE. I see no problem with giving PE credit for extra curricular sports. But I think, especially in today's culture, kids should be made to understand that exercise is important. If you don't require the class, it sends the message that exercise is not important.

Mr.Conley said:
At my high school, you only had to take PE for one trimester during high school and them you were through. However, unlike traditional PE classes, we did something more productive. Instead of basketball, the teacher taught us the importance of a balanced diet, the importance and ways to exercise, why sleep is nessicary, stress relief and other topics actually related to physical wellness. The rest of the year everyone was required to take an afterschool sport or fitness class for at least one hour, however; efforts were made to prevent bullying. The varsity football players could do their thing will other, lighter courses like yoga, a fitness program, and other sports were also avaibable to the less physically active. If there was a scheduling conflict, some sports were avaibable in the morning and of course if you had a medical excuse you did not have to attend. This way everyone was actually physically active everyday and knew how to take care of themselves. Cost was migitated by offering the programs in conjunction with the local community center.

Every year, 4 years. One quarter 'health' and one quarter 'life choices' or whatever they want to call sex ed. 2 quarters PE, with already given caveates. Was done when I was in school, still done today around these parts. City schools do different, but I really see very little changes in the 'electives' and requirements from when I was in school to now. It seems we have more 'required outside of normal academics' than most areas. I remember feeling really ripped off thinking that I was going to get all these 'electives' in high school. Not so. One freshman and sophomore years, IF you gave up study hall. Two, one of which was a study hall jr. year. Sr. year, well I could have graduated in January, but was having too much fun and working too. Same with my kids, 20 some years later.

4 years English-all required, 1 semester speech
4 years Math-2 required, 2 choices
3 years Science-2 required, 1 choice 4 years recommended
3 years Social Science-2 required, 1 choice, 4 years recommended
4 years PE-different for athletes, but each year semester of health and sex ed
1 semester Consumer Ed.
2 years foreign language, 4 recommended

mom4 said:
No doubt! Marching around a field carrying a tuba or puffing a horn is pretty decent exercise.

I think they should require some sort of PE. I see no problem with giving PE credit for extra curricular sports. But I think, especially in today's culture, kids should be made to understand that exercise is important. If you don't require the class, it sends the message that exercise is not important.
Yep in mostly wool-like fabric, with big hat! Blowing a horn, carrying tuba, or sets of drums. Heck even the flutist has to keep playing and marching.

liberalogic said:

Gym is mandatory at my school. For the first two and a half years of it, I hated it every day. I'm unathletic and now with my back being the pain it is, it's much worse, but I say make it mandatory. We need to divvy up people in the classes and make sure that we really do something.

Some teachers make you do more than others in my school with regards to Gym. Some just got stoned and didn't really care and others made you run until you were nearly puking.

My school you have to have, I think 3 or 4 semesters of gym. There are other opportunities other than the traditional PE class, outdoor Ed being one of the,. i took that, didn't compare. All the "heavy" kids and non-athletics took it. Being a fit and athletic person, i felt very out of place.

You can wave some of the requirements. Now that's a waiver, not credit- if you compete in a sport. I've done this, though havent turned in the forms yet...thanks for reminding me. You need to make up the credit otherwise though, through other electives. Not a bad deal if you're striving for academic success.

To respond to the origional question, yes, I think Gym classes should be required.

Semper Fi said:
My school you have to have, I think 3 or 4 semesters of gym. There are other opportunities other than the traditional PE class, outdoor Ed being one of the,. i took that, didn't compare. All the "heavy" kids and non-athletics took it. Being a fit and athletic person, i felt very out of place.

You can wave some of the requirements. Now that's a waiver, not credit- if you compete in a sport. I've done this, though havent turned in the forms yet...thanks for reminding me. You need to make up the credit otherwise though, through other electives. Not a bad deal if you're striving for academic success.

To respond to the origional question, yes, I think Gym classes should be required.
We only had a semester of gym, then a semester of health. Gym here we stretched and ran for like ten mins at most and then we played a game the teacer picked out for the day or sometimes we get an option to. But every week we had to run a mile and i liked that cuz im athletic and whatnot.

Required...but I'll go a step further. I think there should be mandatory participation in a sport for all kids. It would revolutionize this country's culture. You'd stop seeing so much glorification of laziness in the media and obesity and sedentary-lifestyle related health problems would disappear.

Hagbard Celine said:
Required...but I'll go a step further. I think there should be mandatory participation in a sport for all kids. It would revolutionize this country's culture. You'd stop seeing so much glorification of laziness in the media and obesity and sedentary-lifestyle related health problems would disappear.
O? UR LAZY? Hmm you would fit in great with my grandpa :D....hmmmm i would have to agree with u too, everyone needs a sport, i mean football is prolly the easist ur gonna get, cuz its pretty simple but i never played football so i dont know exactly. I have played soccer a lot in my life and im really athletic bec of it, although our practices are simple, soccer is all about mind and pride in my opinion. But yeah there is a sport for everyone whether it be swimming, golf, track, i mean somewhere theres a sport for kids somehow, its just they dont wanna do a physical.

Chad2000k said:
O? UR LAZY? Hmm you would fit in great with my grandpa :D....hmmmm i would have to agree with u too, everyone needs a sport, i mean football is prolly the easist ur gonna get, cuz its pretty simple but i never played football so i dont know exactly. I have played soccer a lot in my life and im really athletic bec of it, although our practices are simple, soccer is all about mind and pride in my opinion. But yeah there is a sport for everyone whether it be swimming, golf, track, i mean somewhere theres a sport for kids somehow, its just they dont wanna do a physical.
Well there are tons to choose from. Football is one. I love baseball and tennis. Soccer is an awesome sport. Basketball. Racquetball. Volleyball--my sister plays. Swim team. Track. Lacrosse. Rugby. Hockey. There's something for everyone.

I think required participation in sports would help with health problems, low self-esteem problems in adolescents, it would increase comradery in students, not to mention, I would bet grades would get better.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well there are tons to choose from. Football is one. I love baseball and tennis. Soccer is an awesome sport. Basketball. Racquetball. Volleyball--my sister plays. Swim team. Track. Lacrosse. Rugby. Hockey. There's something for everyone.

I think required participation in sports would help with health problems, low self-esteem problems in adolescents, it would increase comradery in students, not to mention, I would bet grades would get better.

Yeah I know, and everyone's GPA which everyone is worried about now would go up, i have Life Sports and it was awesome except for the reading assessements we had to do required by state. It really does help ur Gpa and it also gives u some sort of activity to relax and forget about a hard test next hour or a hard test u just took last hour. Sort of get off ur butt that ur tired of sitting on all day and just do something other than learn cuz we play new games pretty much every week, so its awesome, i reccomend it.

Hagbard Celine said:

Grand idea! But wouldn't that suck for the coaches? I would hate to coach a group of unintersted kids. And believe me, being in a sport you don't want to be in really does negative wonders on ones state-of-mind. Nice idea though, I like it.

Forum List

Back