Photographer Loses Bid to Refuse Same-Sex Wedding Jobs

insert black wedding in place of same sex wedding.

still think the photographer can do whatever he wants?

how about a jewish wedding?

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

have a restaurant? only want white people?

think you have the right to do that?

In general, those things are different than not shooting a wedding due to religious reasons. If, for religious reasons, I chose to not shoot a wedding, that isn't any business of the states.

And, I am a photographer, and I refuse work all the time based on my "morals".

And if you don't want to shoot a interracial marriage for religious reasons?

My personal religious beliefs wouldn't require me to not shoot that wedding, and I can't think of a religion that would.... but if there was one, yes.. they should have the right to not shoot that wedding.

Can you compel an artist to create art?

A wedding photographer is a technician not an artist.

Yeah that's sort of like calling a house painter an artist - both skills require a certain amount of "art" to do right, but doing them doesn't make you an artist.
Really ?

worst-idea-ever-0.jpg

If a person wishes to set up a business in a community, they must respect the laws of that community including those which prohibit discrimination of protected groups.

To operate a business is a privilege granted by that community. It is not something that anyone has an automatic right to do.

People who claim their religion puts them above the laws of the community are delusional. It's their own fault for choosing a religion that makes it impossible to behave like a decent citizen.

This is the perfect example of how some conservatives are filled with hypocrisy. You dont mind regulating some individual things (abortion, drugs, gay marriage) but when it comes to the decisions YOU want to make...when lefties do it...ooooh you cry bloody murder.

Valid observation. But not applicable to me personally since I'm pro-choice, for the legalization of drugs and allowing queers to marry.

CaliGirl, you're funny as usual. Earlier you said that you can't enforce tolerance you have to educate against it. Education is a great start, but you're naive to think that people who hate gays or blacks will take a class and change their minds. Sorry. Won't happen. So you have to have laws.

You acknowledge that people who hate queers and blacks won't take a class to change their minds and then turn around and imply that legislation will. That's pretty ignorant, no offense.

You're assuming that the legislation is designed to make them change their minds. It isn't. It's designed to punish them when they act on their prejudices.

Assuming that people dont want to get punished (submissive BDSM types aside)...they'll conform their behavior to what the law says is acceptable.

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

Yes, I do think I have the right to do that and if word gets around that I'm a racist or a bigot then people will stop coming to my business and I'll eventually go out of business. The natural course of the market fixes these things.

And the left complains that we conservatives tell them what they can do and not do.... the libs will come out defending this decision... the decision of a judge telling a photographer what they can photograph and not photograph.

Liberal hypocisy on display in 5...... 4.... 3.....2......

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

The better question is - Why would any gay couple want a person who is opposed to gay marriage photographing their wedding? :cuckoo:

And the left complains that we conservatives tell them what they can do and not do.... the libs will come out defending this decision... the decision of a judge telling a photographer what they can photograph and not photograph.

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

The better question is - Why would any gay couple want a person who is opposed to gay marriage photographing their wedding? :cuckoo:

They did have to pick the one non gay photographer in the state.

Umm in rural areas there is often little choice on such services.

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

As much as I agree with you that it is wrong to discriminate against a person or persons, I believe it is the right of any business owner to decide who he or she will take on as a customer.

You are an attorney. Suppose someone came to you with a case that you did not believe in and simply did not want to represent them as clients. You make no public judgment about them, but decide you are not comfortable representing them. Should you have the right to tell them that you do not want to represent them and that they need to find another attorney?

Even restaurant owners should have the right to cater to the type of clientele they want to serve although if I knew of a particular restaurant that discriminated against people of a different race or creed, I would not frequent their establishment, but in my opinion (which I fully realize counts for absolutely nothing) the government does not have the right to tell me who I do business with.

Immie

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

Too fuckin' bad, huh? I'd tell them AND the state to go fuck themselves. They'd probably like it. I work for who I want, not who the government dictates.

Maybe one day you Big Brother sockpuppets will grow up and think for yourselves.

a christian wedding?

a muslim wedding?

As much as I agree with you that it is wrong to discriminate against a person or persons, I believe it is the right of any business owner to decide who he or she will take on as a customer.

You are an attorney. Suppose someone came to you with a case that you did not believe in and simply did not want to represent them as clients. You make no public judgment about them, but decide you are not comfortable representing them. Should you have the right to tell them that you do not want to represent them and that they need to find another attorney?

Even restaurant owners should have the right to cater to the type of clientele they want to serve although if I knew of a particular restaurant that discriminated against people of a different race or creed, I would not frequent their establishment, but in my opinion (which I fully realize counts for absolutely nothing) the government does not have the right to tell me who I do business with.

Immie

Bullshit. I am allowed to believe what I want. Or so the Constitution says. The Dem's have made a joke of THAT.

Point is, I can pick and choose who I want to work for and who I want working for me and Big Brother can go piss in the wind.

Too fuckin' bad, huh? I'd tell them AND the state to go fuck themselves. They'd probably like it. I work for who I want, not who the government dictates.

Maybe one day you Big Brother sockpuppets will grow up and think for yourselves.

I'm guessing you voted "No" in the Do You Want More Civil Discussion Thread?

Forum List

Back