Phobias that aren't really "phobias"

The only thing I'm afeared of is Mrs. BBD. I got no phobias. I afraid of nothing except for her. Now, if you want to talk about being pussy whipped, I'm you're man. In fact, I'm an expert.

there is not much to the little truism i threw out above.

it generally refers to people who act as if they are phobic, diagnosed or not.

Can you give me an example or three?

Long post incoming.

Islamophobia is a label that's way overused. I think most of the time when someone uses the Islamophobe label, they really mean anti-Islam. But the former gets used more than the later partly because anti-Islam just doesn't have the sting a good pejorative should have.

But I can think of one legit example of Islamophobia. Say a cracker is living in an apartment building, and they get a new neighbor across the hall: a Muslim. So this cracker gets some extra locks on their door, loses sleep at night thinking that on the other side of the wall is a bomb-building session, hurries in and out of their place to try and avoid their Muslim neighbor in the hall, and if they do meet in the hall this person's heart starts racing. All this time, the Muslim neighbor is nothing but nice and respectful.

But tell this person they're an Islamophobe, and they'll prattle off a bunch of news stories about terrorists and and all that. To an Islamophobe, they're not phobic; they just see a truth in their mind that other's are too ignorant to understand.

Imo, that for sure satisfies at least half of the phobia--an irrational fear--but the other half--a mental disorder--I don't know enough about psychology to say for sure. Maybe paranoia could work also... although maybe there's not much of a meaningful difference between paranoia and phobia.

Favorite phobia: I got called an anuptaphobe once. I had to google it later. :lol:

there is not much to the little truism i threw out above.

it generally refers to people who act as if they are phobic, diagnosed or not.

Can you give me an example or three?

Long post incoming.

Islamophobia is a label that's way overused. I think most of the time when someone uses the Islamophobe label, they really mean anti-Islam. But the former gets used more than the later partly because anti-Islam just doesn't have the sting a good pejorative should have.

But I can think of one legit example of Islamophobia. Say a cracker is living in an apartment building, and they get a new neighbor across the hall: a Muslim. So this cracker gets some extra locks on their door, loses sleep at night thinking that on the other side of the wall is a bomb-building session, hurries in and out of their place to try and avoid their Muslim neighbor in the hall, and if they do meet in the hall this person's heart starts racing. All this time, the Muslim neighbor is nothing but nice and respectful.

But tell this person they're an Islamophobe, and they'll prattle off a bunch of news stories about terrorists and and all that. To an Islamophobe, they're not phobic; they just see a truth in their mind that other's are too ignorant to understand.

Imo, that for sure satisfies at least half of the phobia--an irrational fear--but the other half--a mental disorder--I don't know enough about psychology to say for sure. Maybe paranoia could work also... although maybe there's not much of a meaningful difference between paranoia and phobia.

Favorite phobia: I got called an anuptaphobe once. I had to google it later. :lol:

My God, dude. Can you divide that into chapters for me and I'll whittle away at it over time?

I don't know why, but for some reason something tells me that your lips will moving as you plod through Sheldon's essay, Paulie.

Last edited:
Pfft. Whatever Paulie.

You're just hating because my posts are bigger than yours. :cool:

I don't know why, but for some reason something tells me that your lips will moving as you plod through Sheldon's essay, Paulie.

I'm slightly disturbed that your thoughts are centered on my lips.

Just because everyone in England is gay, doesn't mean everyone in the US is.

Paulie,

Rest assured that an Englishman's interest in the svelte, masculine ripple of another man's lips is a purely platonic fascination. Nothing more, and nothing less...

... But don't go looking over your shoulder or anything silly like that, eh.

Forum List

Back