Philly Cheesesteak...the eternal question...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
What kind of cheese? CheezWhiz, provolone, swiss? Something else?

My recipe...sautéed onion, green pepper and mushrooms on a butter grilled bun with mayo, CheezWhiz, baby swiss and two Steakums.

20170915_155248_crop_669x405-501x303.jpg

How about you?

Yanno, I like the Big Kahuna cheesesteaks that come from Jersey Mike's Sub Shop (national chain).

It comes with peppers, onions, mushrooms, hot peppers and provolone on a toasted bun with mayo, and all of it is grilled together.

Yum!

Whiz.

I remember John Kerry asking for one with Swiss cheese when he was in Philly. (Geno's?)

There was a collective gasp of disgust.

Yanno, I like the Big Kahuna cheesesteaks that come from Jersey Mike's Sub Shop (national chain).

It comes with peppers, onions, mushrooms, hot peppers and provolone on a toasted bun with mayo, and all of it is grilled together.

Yum!

Jules sure enjoyed hisself a Big Kahuna cheeseburger.

I make em multiple ways. Wiz,white American,provolone or a combination of mentioned cheeses.
Sometimes I'll add shrooms and or peppers sometimes I wont.

Thats the beauty of the cheesesteak,there really is no one way to make em.

The only standard in my house is Ribeye.

I make em multiple ways. Wiz,white American,provolone or a combination of mentioned cheeses.

How thin of ribeye are you using? I've always used steakums, never thought of using anything else.

How thin of ribeye are you using? I've always used steakums, never thought of using anything else.

Slice them to about the same thickness as your Steakums. If you have a decent butcher at your supermarket, they will be more than happy to slice it for you.

What kind of cheese? CheezWhiz, provolone, swiss? Something else?

My recipe...sautéed onion, green pepper and mushrooms on a butter grilled bun with mayo, CheezWhiz, baby swiss and two Steakums.

View attachment 149382

How about you?

I eat anything edible and tasty. Just had a brainstorm for a Kimche cheesesteak. :ack-1:
I've done teriyaki marinated boneless skinless chicken thighs, grilled, served burger style topped with kimchi. Righteous.

I usually get a whole ribeye and cook till just over rare,then put it the freezer till it firms up and slice across the grain around 1/16 thick.
Then I'll toss it on the flat top with all my other fixings,when ready I'll put everything in a pile and put on the cheese and cover so it melts and put it on toasted rolls with butter.

It's amazing what a big flat top griddle will do for cheesesteaks and burgers!!

CHEEZWhiz is never the same when making it at home, it's something best enjoyed at Jim's Steaks on South Street in Philly or not at all.
Mozzarella on home made
Steak Sandwiches & on home made pizza half Mozzarella half non smoked provolone blend.
Steakum is sacrilege, there's frozen ribeye steak meat in packages of 6 rolled up frozen oblong hockey pucks that are steak sandwich worthy, but the best is done slicing your own steakmeat.
Harbor Freight used to carry the Rival 1042W foldable portable Electric Food Slicer
perfect for slicing your own steak meat and storing the slicer away not taking up counter space.
The secret is slicing it thin by freezing the meat before cutting, against the grain.
I'M not a fan of using ribeye, using my own slicer I can use tougher grades, cutting blocks off the meat and freezing them for sole purpose of making thin steak sandwich meat or stir fry slightly thicker slices which occur at the end of the sliced block of
meat.
Meats you can use include chuck steak, roasts, london broil, NY cut, petite steak, even brisket worked well thin sliced.

Steak sandwich needs the right Italian roll,
seasoned steak meat with oregano garlic and onion powder pinch of salt and pepper,
The fried up onions mushrooms Mozzarella and sauce using can crushed tomatoes same seasoning as the steak meat except add also parm cheese to the sauce and more salt to taste.

Sometimes a good Steak hoagie is a good change of pace, that's when provolone works better, raw onions, dry steak, lettuce, tomato, oregano, lots of mayo.

But please never, ever ruin a Philly
Steak Sandwich with american cheese.

:)

Cheese Whiz is what they use for the tourist. A genuine traditional Philly Cheese Steak was created and made by Italian Sub Shops and used provolone cheese, sometimes mixed with mozzarella. The famous tourist sandwich spots in South Philly use the Cheeze Whiz and try to take credit for inventing the cheesesteak. The best cheese to use is the one you like the most.

Forum List

Back