Philanthropist Robert Smith pledges to clear student debt of Morehouse College grads

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
About a month ago 60 Minutes was on the TV and they were featuring one of the Ivy League schools which came up with a way to suprise their graduating class of medical students with an announcement that their entire student loan debt, many of which where $100,000.00+ would be forgiven. I remember thinking what a wonderful graduation gift that was for these students and what an edge it would give them in pursuing their dreams and now here we have another graduating class having their student loan debt wiped out.

Apparently where there's a will there's a way

Billionaire tech investor and philanthropist Robert F. Smith stunned graduates of Morehouse College in Atlanta on Sunday, pledging tens of millions of dollars to wipe out their student-loan debts.

Wild cheers and astonished looks greeted Smith after he made the gift during his commencement address at the famed, all-male historically black college.

"My family is going to create a grant to eliminate your student loans," Smith told graduating seniors. "You great Morehouse men are bound only by the limits of your own conviction and creativity."

Smith called the gift "a little fuel" for the 396 students who comprise the Morehouse Class of 2019.

"On behalf of the eight generations of my family that have been in this country, we're gonna put a little fuel in your bus," the philanthropist said.

The billionaire pledged to pay up to $40 million to relieve the students' debt — and that eight-digit gift should be more than enough to cover all the grads' loans, a Morehouse rep told NBC News.

Philanthropist pledges millions to clear Morehouse grads' student debt

So it's ok for a billionaire to pay for student loans , but not the Democrats. I see. Ok to someone to give to a charity of his choice or doing a good deed , as long as it's not the government.

I respect Robert Smith not because he's a black billionaire who does cool things like pay off college students' debts, but because he married former Playmate of the Year, Hope Dworacyzk, 22 years his junior.

Hope-Dworaczyk.jpg

That's damn impressive!

I wonder if his company is doing the same for all black female college. Spelman College

About a month ago 60 Minutes was on the TV and they were featuring one of the Ivy League schools which came up with a way to suprise their graduating class of medical students with an announcement that their entire student loan debt, many of which where $100,000.00+ would be forgiven. I remember thinking what a wonderful graduation gift that was for these students and what an edge it would give them in pursuing their dreams and now here we have another graduating class having their student loan debt wiped out.

Billionaire tech investor and philanthropist Robert F. Smith stunned graduates of Morehouse College in Atlanta on Sunday, pledging tens of millions of dollars to wipe out their student-loan debts.

Wild cheers and astonished looks greeted Smith after he made the gift during his commencement address at the famed, all-male historically black college.

"My family is going to create a grant to eliminate your student loans," Smith told graduating seniors. "You great Morehouse men are bound only by the limits of your own conviction and creativity."

Smith called the gift "a little fuel" for the 396 students who comprise the Morehouse Class of 2019.

"On behalf of the eight generations of my family that have been in this country, we're gonna put a little fuel in your bus," the philanthropist said.

The billionaire pledged to pay up to $40 million to relieve the students' debt — and that eight-digit gift should be more than enough to cover all the grads' loans, a Morehouse rep told NBC News.

I wonder how all those other people feel who graduated before this years class who had to carry the debt? Yeah, it is a feel good story, but we will see the outcome when those debt free students get into the work force. Will they appreciate the gift, or typical of someone who is given stuff, not appreciate it at all, and bitch and moan that life isnt all that free.

Can’t we all just be content that a person did something generous and kind for a group of mostly strangers? Ya’ll are why we can’t have nice things.

I wonder how all those other people feel who graduated before this years class who had to carry the debt? Yeah, it is a feel good story, but we will see the outcome when those debt free students get into the work force. Will they appreciate the gift, or typical of someone who is given stuff, not appreciate it at all, and bitch and moan that life isnt all that free.

Life is like that sometimes

Doesn’t take away from his generosity

I'm waiting for a rich WHITE guy to do 5his for WHITE students. I just want to see the reaction of blacks who demand "their" take.

Can’t we all just be content that a person did something generous and kind for a group of mostly strangers? Ya’ll are why we can’t have nice things.
Yes, I love it when a Capitalist who succeeded with his God given talents to become a "black" billionaire, and then with his success and not FORCED, he gives up some of his hard earned cash to help those kids who would of had a large amount of debt. But what of those kids who had through their own hard work, enabled themselves to pay their way through that same college without having a debt? I mean seems that some of those kids got royally screwed if that is the case.

I'm waiting for a rich WHITE guy to do 5his for WHITE students. I just want to see the reaction of blacks who demand "their" take.

Where have you been? White guys have been doing this since the country was founded.
Got an example where they did this based on race? Provide one example.

Can you tell us where he did this based on race?

Morehouse College. Morehouse College is a private,all-male, liberal arts, historically black college in Atlanta, Georgia

Cool. Be nice if someone does that once me and wife graduate all together will probably have over 100k in student loan debt and I ain't paying a damn penny of it. The US government can give huge corporations tax breaks,BILLIONS of dollars in foreign aide but can't provide college to its citizens without having to pay out the ass for it then fuck them....let them take my tax refunds every year idc...not gonna go broke trying to repay something we shouldn't have to pay for to begin with. Maybe we will get lucky and a leftist president will erase the student loan debt like Obama did for my mothers debt.

Where have you been? White guys have been doing this since the country was founded.
Got an example where they did this based on race? Provide one example.

Can you tell us where he did this based on race?

Morehouse College. Morehouse College is a private,all-male, liberal arts, historically black college in Atlanta, Georgia

So should black men not donate their time and money to black colleges, not understanding where you are going with this bullshit.

Forum List

Back