Persia Or Iran

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
"The country has always been known to its own people as Iran (land of the Aryans), although for centuries it was referred to as Persia (Pars or Fars, a province in southern Iran) by the Europeans, mainly due to the writings of Greek historians. In 1935 the Government specified that it should be called Iran; however, in 1949 they allowed both names to be used.*Most people today, know Persia or Iran through its carpets, its caviar, its costly war with its neighbour Iraq, or through its importance as one of the world's major oil-producing nations. Yet, Persia has one of the richest and oldest cultures in the world. *For more than three thousand years Persia was a melting pot of civilizations and demographic movements between Asia and Europe. Under Cyrus the Great, it became the centre of the world's first empire. Successive invasions by the Greeks, Arabs, Mongols and Turks developed the nation's culture through rich and diverse philosophical, artistic, scientific and religious influences.*" Iransaga - Persia or Iran, a brief history. Iran is a land with a long history, always known to its people as Iran.

The Indo-European Aryans or Iranians arrived on the plateau during the second millennium BC, and it is at Tappeh Sialk that the remains of their most ancient dwellings have been found. The rich had jewels made of silver, and the poor of bronze or iron. Vast finds of pottery at Tappeh Sialk give us an insight into their art.The most representative type, a long spouted pitcher used in funeral rituals, was decorated with the head of an animal. The artist accentuated the resemblance of the animal by drawing around the spout. For example, if he wanted to increase the resemblance of a bird, the artist drew a series of triangles suggesting a collar of feathers or a pair of wings. Iransaga - Persian Art, the Arrival of the Iranians

Iran also known as*Persia*officially the*Islamic Republic of Iran*since 1980, is a*country*in*Western Asia.[12][13][14]*The country is bordered on the north by*Armenia,*Azerbaijanand*Turkmenistan, with*Kazakhstanand*Russia*to the north across theCaspian Sea. Iran is bordered on the east by*Afghanistan*and*Pakistan, on the south by the*Persian Gulf*and theGulf of Oman, on the west by*Iraq*and on the northwest by*Turkey.The 18th-largest country in the world in terms of area at 1,648,195 km2(636,372*sq*mi), Iran is an*ethnically diverse*country and has a population of around 77 million.[1. Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, prior to Cyrus, Nebuchadrezzar built Persia into a great empire...

... he even had a tower of gold for his subjects to bow down to...

... when dey heard the flagon, trumpet or pipe.

Granny once bought a Persian rug from an Iranian rug dealer...

... `cause he said it was a 3,000 year old flyin' carpet...

... but he'd sell it to her for 50 bucks...

... she brought it home an' we put possum inna middle of it...

... but it wouldn't fly...

... so me an' Uncle Ferd grabbed both ends of the rug...

... an' pick possum up in it...

... an' pretended it was flyin'...

... it was great fun but Granny took it back the next day an' got her money back...

... poor ol' possum misses dat rug.

Last edited:
I never understood why that term is accepted. it hasnt been a country in what, 2500 years? you dont hear people saying Mesopotamia

I was in college during the time of the Iranian Revolution and when the subsequent hostage situation took place.

The Iranian exchange students at my university began using the term "Persia" when people asked them what country they were from.

It was funny watching the geographical challenged Americans look of relief to find out the students weren't from Iran. .. :lol:

I was in college during the time of the Iranian Revolution and when the subsequent hostage situation took place.

The Iranian exchange students at my university began using the term "Persia" when people asked them what country they were from.

It was funny watching the geographical challenged Americans look of relief to find out the students weren't from Iran. .. :lol:
Yes, after the cancer of Islamism arrived in Iran, it's people were embarrassed to say they're Iranian, because they were no longer looked at the same by the world community.

Why do people always leave out the Medes when discussing Persian history?

The Medes /midz/[N 1] (from Old Persian Māda-) were an ancient Iranian people[N 2] who lived in an area known as Media and who spoke a northwestern Iranian language referred to as the Median language. Their arrival to the region is associated with the first wave of Iranian tribes in the late 2nd millennium BCE (the Bronze Age collapse) through the beginning of the 1st millennium BCE.

From the 10th to late 7th centuries BCE, the Iranian Medes and Persians fell under the domination of the Neo-Assyrian Empire based in Mesopotamia.[6]

After the fall of the Assyrian Empire, between 616 BCE and 605 BCE, a unified Median state was formed, which, together with Babylonia, Lydia, and Egypt became one of the four major powers of the ancient Near East. An alliance with the Babylonians and the Scythians helped the Medes to capture Nineveh in 612 BCE which resulted in the collapse of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. The Medes were subsequently able to establish their Median kingdom (with Ecbatana as their royal centre) beyond their original homeland (central-western Iran) and had eventually a territory stretching roughly from northeastern Iran to the Halys River in Anatolia. The Median kingdom was conquered in 550 BCE by Cyrus the Great, who established the next Iranian dynasty—the Persian Achaemenid Empire.
Medes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, after the cancer of Islamism arrived in Iran, it's people were embarrassed to say they're Iranian, because they were no longer looked at the same by the world community.
Incorrect nitwit.

Islam has been dominate in Iran for a 1,000+ years and the people are proud to be called Iranians.

But during the hostage situation the kids going to college in the U.S. were fearful of being attacked by outraged Americans.

So they resorted to using the ancient term of Persian as a way to hide their Iranian identity. .. :cool:

Incorrect nitwit.

Islam has been dominate in Iran for a 1,000+ years and the people are proud to be called Iranians.

But during the hostage situation the kids going to college in the U.S. were fearful of being attacked by outraged Americans.

So they resorted to using the ancient term of Persian as a way to hide their Iranian identity. .. :cool:

In the mid 1970's I worked with Iranians in restaurants, they were hiding from the Shah.

Incorrect nitwit.

In the mid 1970's I worked with Iranians in restaurants, they were hiding from the Shah.
They'd only be hiding of they were engaging in any activity against the govt. Otherwise Iran was a great country, and heaven compared to what the Mullahs have turned it into today.

Incorrect nitwit.

While the Shah was still in power.

In front of the University of Texas there were always several Iranian students with signs and banners denouncing the Shah for being a murderous dictator; and calling for his over throw by the world community.

No doubt they couldn't go home until the blood thirsty Shah was removed from power and the hated SAVAK secret police organization destroyed. .. :cool:

Incorrect nitwit.

Nah, the Iranians call themselves Persians because they are embarrassed by what the Islamist mullahs have done after the revolution. Iranians are proud of their history, but never what Islam has brought to their country. Although devout Muslims many of them,, they now admit Islam has destroyed their country and their civilization.

Over 90% of Iranians living inside and outside Iran want this brutal barbaric regime removed, and they blame Islam for what has happened to their country. After this regime is toppled, there will be strict anti Islamism anti Shariah rules in Iran.

Incorrect nitwit.

While the Shah was still in power.

In front of the University of Texas there were always several Iranian students with signs and banners denouncing the Shah for being a murderous dictator; and calling for his over throw by the world community.

No doubt they couldn't go home until the blood thirsty Shah was removed from power and the hated SAVAK secret police organization destroyed. .. :cool:
Yes, funny part is those same naive people who were tricked, are now protesting against the Mullahs in power, and many of them have lost their lives doing so. Funny how times have changed.

Forum List

Back