CDZ People appropriating culture from lower socio-economic classes

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
It is not surprising when individuals attempt to associate themselves with higher socio-economic classes. However, it is not uncommon to see young white, upper class individuals acting like they were raised in an inner-city ghetto.

Why does no one from a higher socio-economic class ever imitate hillbillies? Have you ever seen anyone from an urban environment pretend to be a hillbilly? Go to the dentist and get half your teeth pulled out and the others stained so they look rotted? Walk around New York City with a rope holding up your pants and a fake southern drawl telling made up stories about when you were in the backwoods having relations with your first cousin? Where are the wealthy "willbillies" driving around the metropolitan areas with Dueling Banjos blasting out of their truck speakers?

Why are the trailer parks and rural backwoods areas not as worthy of appropriation as inner-city ghetto culture? Come on mainstream media, there is an entire world of mullets, moonshine, guns, off-road vehicles, banjos. low graduation rates and poverty you could be sensationalizing and holding up as a source of cultural enrichment.

It is not surprising when individuals attempt to associate themselves with higher socio-economic classes. However, it is not uncommon to see young white, upper class individuals acting like they were raised in an inner-city ghetto.

Why does no one from a higher socio-economic class ever imitate hillbillies? Have you ever seen anyone from an urban environment pretend to be a hillbilly? Go to the dentist and get half your teeth pulled out and the others stained so they look rotted? Walk around New York City with a rope holding up your pants and a fake southern drawl telling made up stories about when you were in the backwoods having relations with your first cousin? Where are the wealthy "willbillies" driving around the metropolitan areas with Dueling Banjos blasting out of their truck speakers?

Why are the trailer parks and rural backwoods areas not as worthy of appropriation as inner-city ghetto culture? Come on mainstream media, there is an entire world of mullets, moonshine, guns, off-road vehicles, banjos. low graduation rates and poverty you could be sensationalizing and holding up as a source of cultural enrichment.

I seem to recall jeans with holes in them being a very popular fashion not so long ago.

I often see 4x4 vehicles tricked out so much they are useless off-road.

Country music has become the new pop music.

So there are a few examples of rednecks being popular in the media.

It's a matter of a lack of identity on the parts of young whites, although I do find that it tends to be those of lower-middle class. It is essentially what Mtv deems as cool.

Why does no one from a higher socio-economic class ever imitate hillbillies?

Buddy Ebsen and Irene Ryan were worth millions.

beverly-hillbillies.jpg

There have always been wiggers. Even back in the 1930's and 40's the jazz community was rife with them.

I seem to recall jeans with holes in them being a very popular fashion not so long ago.

I had to comment on the tricked out 4 x4s. I once watched a guy with a tricked out Ford, 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires......
He showed up at a friends farm and was going to show up the locals. He pulled into the farm on a seldom used road and on the way in he decided to drive over a small tree. Well the tree gave way to the 3 inch pipe he used as a front bumper. it then slipped off, snapped up and took off his passenger side mirror, clean off. About 3 hours later someone gave him a ride home after he blew a 35 inch tire, tore off one of his dual exhausts, cracked his windshield and the mirror. You've never seen hillbillies laugh harder. One of them looked at me and said "and they wonder why we drive rusted out dodge rams"

I'll disagree a bit. Plenty of my white friends imitate George W and his "fuzzy math" line. They would rather play themselves off as trailer trash who can't use trig to calculate blind spots around a castle than figure out the height of their own tires.

Plenty of white folks also say "get her done" or "it'll ride" imitating some comedian (who is fairly funny I admit.

You just notice it more when a white guy dresses "black" or "Hawaiian" or whatever.

I am from the South. I live in the Appalachia's. I haven't seen anyone with teeth like you described. No ropes as belts. Actually everyone seems to be dressed for the weather. Oh and the water is Fluoridated so teeth better than depression era. A lot of people love country music, I perfer Sirius Channel 28, Spectrum.

Forum List

Back