Pentagon to seek additional Iron Dome funding, U.S. official says

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
The Pentagon will approach Congress to enlarge the amount aid the United States awards Israel toward the production of the Iron Dome anti-missile systems, a U.S. official said on Tuesday.

Last week, Rep. Howard L. Berman introduced the Iron Dome Support Act (IDSA) authorizing U.S. President Barack Obama to provide assistance if requested by the Israeli government to procure additional Iron Dome systems.

While the Iron Dome Support Act was still in initial stages of the legislation process, it has already won support from both parties. Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen was one of the initial supporters of the bill, along with four other congressmen from both parties.

In a statement released by the Pentagon on Tuesday, spokesman George Little said that "supporting the security of the State of Israel is a top priority of President Obama and Secretary Panetta," adding that last year the US provided 205 million dollars for the system.

"The Department of Defense has been in conversations with the Government of Israel about U.S. support for the acquisition of additional Iron Dome systems and intends to request an appropriate level of funding from Congress to support such acquisitions based on Israeli requirements and production capacity,” Little said.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak, in response to the Pentagon's statement, said that the decision was "another indication of the depth of the security relationship between the United States and Israel, and a badge of honor to the Israeli security industries which developed the Iron Dome and which are working on developing a multilayered interception system."

"I congratulate the American administration for aiding the bolstering of Israel's security," Barak added.

Pentagon to seek additional Iron Dome funding, U.S. official says - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Obama protectin' the Jews from dat crazy Iranian, Ahmadinejad...
:cool:
Israel, US successfully test anti-missile system
February 25, 2013 -- Israel's Defense Ministry says a joint exercise with U.S. forces has successfully tested the Arrow anti-missile system for the first time. The system is meant to defend Israel from the threat of an Iranian strike.
The ministry said Monday the test was "a major milestone in the development of the Arrow 3 Weapon System." The Arrow is produced jointly by Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd. and Chicago-based Boeing Co.

It detects an incoming missile and destroys it with a second missile. Iran's Shahab ballistic missile can carry a nuclear warhead and has a range of 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers), putting Israel well within range.

The Arrow is part of Israel's multilayered shield designed to intercept rockets and missiles. Israel sees Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile program as an existential threat.

Source

I bet there is Israeli Iron Dome technology used all over the place where America has interests. I live near D.C. and I often wonder where they've stuck our anti-missile tech around here.
In the 50s there were Nike batteries all over the District. I remember the one near the Marine Corp Memorial.

Iron Dome kicks ass

Makes the Palistinian missiles worthless

Forum List

Back