Peanuts, Anyone?

Big deal....Not like the airlines are giving away ANYTHING right now

you realize people with strong allergic reactions die on the spot right?

Maybe they shouldn't accept the free peanuts.

are you really this stupid? the allergy can be triggered even by inhaling the "dust" from the peanut packets that other people open aka the person sitting next to you or the person chewing peanuts a foot from your mouth

Are you really this stupid? Don't you know that the remedy for recovering from the jump through hyperspace is to drink several pints of beer and eat several bags of peanuts?

I suppose if someone told me they had a severe allergy to peanuts, I'd switch seats with them and tell the flight attendant no thanks for us and be careful with the peanuts around my new friend.

are you really this stupid? the allergy can be triggered even by inhaling the "dust" from the peanut packets that other people open aka the person sitting next to you or the person chewing peanuts a foot from your mouth

Don't you just hate when you get all the peanut dust all over your carry-on?

For some people, just being in a closed space with someone eating peanuts can kill them.

Peanut allergy can be deadly - CNN.com

According to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), 11.4 million Americans have food allergies.

Reactions can be triggered by even trace amounts of peanuts.

"There are true risks when ... enough peanut protein is really being disturbed. So if people are cracking open peanuts, especially in a confined space, a waiting area of a restaurant, you could have a very severe reaction because there's enough peanut airborne there," said Dr. Robert Wood of Johns Hopkins University.

At least five U.S. airlines have stopped serving peanuts: American, Delta Shuttle (not all of Delta Airlines), Northwest, United, and US Airways.

A study by FAAN and the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York showed the number of children allergic to peanuts doubled between 1997 and 2002.

Jacqui Corba, 15, had her first reaction when she was 2, even though she wasn't eating peanuts herself.

"I was on an airplane flight with my mom, and she ate peanuts and gave me a kiss on my face, I blew up like all over and I was red."

She also had an anaphylactic reaction at school after a classmate opened a bag of peanuts near her.

Okay blu, maybe. Why are peanuts causing deaths that they did not 50 years ago?

How much of this is mere hysteria or a secret joy from controlling others?

Seriously, Old Rocks? Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network? Who the fuck are they? If peanuts are so deadly, why aren't they banned outright?

I am having a severe case of deja vu from the same scenario over second-hand smoke -- another officious intermeddling bit of nonsense that I think was foisted on the US by people with an overblown need to control the conduct of others.

I don't give a fuck if airlines offer peanuts. I think the whole nonsense of a food and drink service on a flight that lasts less than 2 hours is ridiculous anyway. The attendants should just sit the fuck down so passengers can use the bathroom if they want, and let people bring water with them on board if they think thirst will be an issue.

What I DO care about is this incessant slide in ever-more accommodation of the needs of strangers, so that we don't ever ever ever give offense. I am fed up to the teeth with bullshit laws and regulations that are aimed no higher than teaching me manners.

I happen to think my manners are all fucking right already.

Seriously, Old Rocks? Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network? Who the fuck are they? If peanuts are so deadly, why aren't they banned outright?

I am having a severe case of deja vu from the same scenario over second-hand smoke -- another officious intermeddling bit of nonsense that I think was foisted on the US by people with an overblown need to control the conduct of others.

I don't give a fuck if airlines offer peanuts. I think the whole nonsense of a food and drink service on a flight that lasts less than 2 hours is ridiculous anyway. The attendants should just sit the fuck down so passengers can use the bathroom if they want, and let people bring water with them on board if they think thirst will be an issue.

What I DO care about is this incessant slide in ever-more accommodation of the needs of strangers, so that we don't ever ever ever give offense. I am fed up to the teeth with bullshit laws and regulations that are aimed no higher than teaching me manners.

I happen to think my manners are all fucking right already.

So if you were allergic to peanuts you would have no problem having peanuts on a plane. An enclosed space that wont touch ground for maybe hours. People who are allergic to peanuts are pretty common. Ive met a few, although, I couldnt give you names.

I, for the life of me, cant see why you would make such a big deal of saving someones life. Thats what it would boil down too. Im sure your manners are great, the problem I have with your manners is they dont pertain to strangers.

1) Airline peanuts are horrible
2) I prefer pretzles anyway
3) Legume allergies are horrible, and since I don't much care for peanuts anyway, I am willing to be civil about it.
4) An airplane is a enclosed space with all that air recirculating. Lets keep it cool for everyone

I've had seatmates on planes ask me to lower the window blind, move my arm off the armrest, stop reading (seriously), listen to their woes, lend them my tray, put their carry on in the luggage bin, get it back out, hold their babies, etc. I can't recall ever saying "no".

I don't give a fuck if airlines stop serving peanuts.

What I DO care about is this ever-spreading idea that anything one does not care for constitutes a life-threatening allergy. WTF are people deathly allergic to peanuts even doing on a plane? I'm just not convinced this is a real medical phenom and not merely a case of "I like to boss others around".

I've had seatmates on planes ask me to lower the window blind, move my arm off the armrest, stop reading (seriously), listen to their woes, lend them my tray, put their carry on in the luggage bin, get it back out, hold their babies, etc. I can't recall ever saying "no".

I don't give a fuck if airlines stop serving peanuts.

What I DO care about is this ever-spreading idea that anything one does not care for constitutes a life-threatening allergy. WTF are people deathly allergic to peanuts even doing on a plane? I'm just not convinced this is a real medical phenom and not merely a case of "I like to boss others around".

And there we have it right there. You dont give a shit about anyone but yourself, really.

I'm allergic to seafood. I've spent hours in the hospital at various times when I have accidentally gotten a bite of shrimp. Smelling it causes a reaction, but in my case a mild one.

Do you think we should ban seafood from restaurants? I can't go to The Red Lobster because of the food they serve.

Even if I order steak or a hamburger they cook it using the same utensils.

Should we ban seafood restaurants? No, I simply won't go.

Planes are slightly different and I can understand the concern knowing the danger, but I'm not so sure I support the idea of banning peanuts on planes or peanut butter in schools altogether.

Immie

I'm allergic to seafood. I've spent hours in the hospital at various times when I have accidentally gotten a bite of shrimp. Smelling it causes a reaction, but in my case a mild one.

Do you think we should ban seafood from restaurants? I can't go to The Red Lobster because of the food they serve.

Planes are slightly different and I can understand the concern knowing the danger, but I'm not so sure I support the idea of banning peanuts on planes or peanut butter in schools altogether.

Immie

So youre on a plane at 50,000 feet, about 20 years ago.(back when they served food, bear with me)

The stewardess walks down the aisle with a cart loaded with fish dinners and you have a reaction.

Allergies from seafood are just about as bad as peanuts. Seafood can cause anaphylaxis just like peanuts.

I would want to put you through that. Ill go without either. I dont smoke on them either. Fair to me. Planes used to fill up with smoke back in the day.

I'm not trying to be selfish. I will accommodate the legitimate needs of others.

I just don't happen to believe that so many have deadly peanut allergies, anymore than I think 400% more adults have bi-polar disorder than 10 years ago or that every other kidlet now has ADHD.

I think some (significant) part of claims to food allergies are nothing more than disguised bullying. Since I don't think bullying should be rewarded, I am resistant to eliminating peanuts from our lives and diets.

Immie

So youre on a plane at 50,000 feet, about 20 years ago.(back when they served food, bear with me)

The stewardess walks down the aisle with a cart loaded with fish dinners and you have a reaction.

Allergies from seafood are just about as bad as peanuts. Seafood can cause anaphylaxis just like peanuts.

I would want to put you through that. Ill go without either. I dont smoke on them either. Fair to me. Planes used to fill up with smoke back in the day.

You would want to put me through that? ;)

Yes, Seafood allergies do cause anaphylactic shock just like peanuts. I've had some severe reactions and every time I take a bite of shrimp it gets worse. However, for me, I am lucky, although the smell cause my eyes and throat to itch and get scratchy, I don't go into shock. Note: for me, when I was a kid, the reaction I get to the smell now is what I got then to the taste of it. My dad would give me crab or lobster and I would complain about the reaction but they thought I was just being the kid that didn't want to eat something he didn't like. It wasn't until one day when I accidentally got some shrimp currie and went into anaphylactic shock at work that we found out, that I wasn't joking. Since then, I have had one other close call that I can remember.

As for peanuts, my understanding is that the dust can be severe for those with such allergies and that is why I hesitate regarding peanuts on a plane. Seafood doesn't spread like dust from peanuts would.

I do not smoke, nor am I opposed to the rights of those who do, so the issue doesn't apply to me. But, I am and would be extremely careful around someone who had a peanut allergy. Simply because I have an idea what can happen.

Immie

Immie

You would want to put me through that? ;)

Yes, Seafood allergies do cause anaphylactic shock just like peanuts. I've had some severe reactions and every time I take a bite of shrimp it gets worse. However, for me, I am lucky, although the smell cause my eyes and throat to itch and get scratchy, I don't go into shock. Note: for me, when I was a kid, the reaction I get to the smell now is what I got then to the taste of it. My dad would give me crab or lobster and I would complain about the reaction but they thought I was just being the kid that didn't want to eat something he didn't like. It wasn't until one day when I accidentally got some shrimp currie and went into anaphylactic shock at work that we found out, that I wasn't joking. Since then, I have had one other close call that I can remember.

As for peanuts, my understanding is that the dust can be severe for those with such allergies and that is why I hesitate regarding peanuts on a plane. Seafood doesn't spread like dust from peanuts would.

I do not smoke, nor am I opposed to the rights of those who do, so the issue doesn't apply to me. But, I am and would be extremely careful around someone who had a peanut allergy. Simply because I have an idea what can happen.

Immie

For the record, I wouldnt ;)

Isn't peanut allergies relatively new?

New or just now becoming recognized as a serious issue?

Was AIDS a new disease when it was named in the early 80's (I think?) or was it just not identified as AIDS until that point in time?

Immie

Forum List

Back