Pds #274

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sinatra, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Interesting column from the Wall Street Journal titled, "In Defense of Sarah Palin".

An excerpt...

___

...Take, for example, foreign policy. True, she seems to know very little about international affairs, but expertise in this area is no guarantee of wise leadership. After all, her rival for the vice presidency, who in some sense knows a great deal, was wrong on almost every major issue that arose in the 30 years he spent in the Senate.

What she does know—and in this respect, she does resemble Reagan—is that the United States has been a force for good in the world, which is more than Barack Obama, whose IQ is no doubt higher than hers, has yet to learn. Jimmy Carter also has a high IQ, which did not prevent him from becoming one of the worst presidents in American history, and so does Bill Clinton, which did not prevent him from befouling the presidential nest.

...I fear that the attitude satirically exaggerated here by Iowahawk is what underlies the rejection of Sarah Palin by so many conservative intellectuals. When push came to shove, they could not resist what Van Voorhees calls Mr. Obama's "prodigious oratorical and intellectuals gifts" and they could not resist attributing Sarah Palin's emergence as a formidable political force to "the base enthusiasms and simian grunts" of "the loathesome Tea Party rabble."

As for me, after more than a year of seeing how those "prodigious oratorical and intellectual gifts" have worked themselves out in action, I remain more convinced than ever of the soundness of Buckley's quip, in the spirit of which I hereby declare that I would rather be ruled by the Tea Party than by the Democratic Party, and I would rather have Sarah Palin sitting in the Oval Office than Barack Obama.
    _____

The entire - and very well-written, column can be found here:

Norman Podhoretz: In Defense of Sarah Palin - WSJ.com

2. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Does anyone else find it sad that so many people feel the need to publicly come to the defense of Caribou Barbie?

3. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    ___

Actually, a quick perusal of the various media outlets finds far more attempting to come to the defense of the the White House - so by your own limited attempts at discourse, you are actively diminishing the President of the United States.

You white racist pig!!!!

[​IMG]

4. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Hmmmm...really? Are you NOT the author of this thread? You know, the one speakinng about a news OP-Ed piece coming to the defense of Palin?

5. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    No one would have to come to her defense if there weren't people attacking her. See how that works? It takes an attack for defense to be necessary. If the attacks stop, there will not be any defense. It's really quite simple, but then I don't expect many around here to grasp the simple.

Rick

6. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    If she stopped sticking her foot in her mouth, telling outright lies, and inciting violence, it might help her too...

7. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I'm sure you're one of the ones that believes that she said "I can see Russia from my house." Aren't you? Did you know that she never said that, that Tina Fey said it on Saturday Night Live in a sketch? That Palin ACTUALLY said that you can see Russia from parts of Alaska, which is actually true? But people still claim that Palin said that she could see Alaska from her house. Goes to show how intelligent people really are.

Rick

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,294
    Its a shame that a once fine institution like the Wall Street Journal has deteriorated into a right wing propaganda sheet since Rupert Murdock has taken over.

The New York Times would never accept such poor journalistic standards

9. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    does jayson blair ring a bell?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. hboats

hboats Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The New York Times has "journalistic standards?" Can you prove that?

Rick